September 2015 PITH Picture posting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allmaclean

Glad you liked it. I am learning just like you.

You are correct. The pen is spalted maple. Now learning to stabilize as I lost too many fine looking pieces. It will be interesting how that turns out.

Much appreciated your set - so don't be hard on yourself. The look, fit, and finish was excellent.

Allan

Sabaharr

It sucked up about a pint by itself. Before I stabilized that one it almost floated on air. After the Cactus Juice I could use it for a cold chisel.

I was gifted with an extreme spalted cigar pen from Sabaharr. Dr Spalt would be proud of the spalt lines in that pen!!!

Very Very Nice indeed.

I suspect that there was a drop or two of cactus juice involved given the extreme black lines.

Thanks again Sabaharr!!!

Argo13

I received my pen from Peter, USNR'03, a couple weeks ago but have been swamped with work. Finally got the light tent up an took a few pic. It is a fantastic mini pine cone blank on a gold executive. very well turned and finished. He included a boat load of cool blanks for me to play with. Peter yours is finally in the mail so you should have by the end of the week. Sorry for being so late, but it has been fun.

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 130
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 152
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 168

hcpens

DEADLINE COMPING UP!

:bananen_smilies027:Thanks to the 32 members that have posted their PITH pictures. Just looking at the great art work done by the new and old members, shows how much fun there is in completing a task.

:bananen_smilies051:Really appreciate the time and effort in making the DEADLINE of the 31st, it is going to be close for the remaining 36 members to post and send their PITH packages, but we will keep looking in anticipation of the beautiful work coming soon to a screen near you.:rolleyes:

Richard

epigolucky

I was partnered with Leo S. Long for this month's PITH. We have both been busy with other commitments but we were able to get in under the wire. I received some amazing blanks that I look forward to turning some great pens. On top of that the cigar pen that he sent is absolutely stunning.

This was my first PITH and I will be surely participating again. Thanks!

Be safe everyone!

-adam

Attachments

• IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 187

Kendallqn

My Pen From Peterborough66

I received this awe inspiring piece from Peterborough66 last week. I am a terrible photographer and cant really seem to do it justice. It is one of the nicest and well made pens I have ever received in a pith. And the blanks that came along with it are fantastic as well I will have to work harder now next time to pass it forward. Thank You Sir very much. I am carrying it as my daily writing instrument for the fall season.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 140

Krash

It Grows As It Goes

This go-round I got paired up with BMac. For the pen he sent me, that would be Big Mac!!

Check this out.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140145&stc=1&d=1445999898

A sweet oak pen holder made on Bobby's CNC machine with the New Mexico logo and state motto "Crescit Eundo" which means "It Grows as it goes". The red is colored epoxy and the lettering is coffee grounds.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140146&stc=1&d=1445999898

This is my first fountain pen. I'm looking forward to using it!!!

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140147&stc=1&d=1445999898

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140148&stc=1&d=1445999898

Plus he sent some sweet blanks, Black Palm, Zebra Wood, and my favorite, Texas Ebony!

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140149&stc=1&d=1445999898

Thanks Bobby for the great pen and blanks!!!

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 233
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 247
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 212
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 233
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 250

bmac

Kelly, nice pictures and I hope you enjoy your pen. It was a pleasure making it for you and PITH is always a great way to meet fellow pen turners and see their work up close and personal. I look forward to your pen.

Take care
bmac
Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

Ken, I am very happy that you like it, it was a pleasure to make it for you. I am really liking the Cigar Pen you sent me, gorgeous! I hope you like the Lignum Vitae, it polishes up very nicely.

Derrick

USNR'03

I received my pen from Peter, USNR'03, a couple weeks ago but have been swamped with work. Finally got the light tent up an took a few pic. It is a fantastic mini pine cone blank on a gold executive. very well turned and finished. He included a boat load of cool blanks for me to play with. Peter yours is finally in the mail so you should have by the end of the week. Sorry for being so late, but it has been fun.

Jason I'm glad you liked it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What a great package.

My PITH pen from Ben Shipman a.k.a. ChrimsonKeel arrived today and what a package it is. Way above and beyond what is required for a great exchange. First there is the pen it is great I think it's a Artisian Clicker Pen but the barrel is something else. No picture can really do it justice - I don't know what it is called but it is beautiful.
2015 PITH Ben Shipman 2 10-29-2015 3-03-52 PM 396x790.jpg

Then we have the whole box - 5 wood and 6 man made blanks all of them are first rate.
2015 PITH Ben Shipman 1 10-29-2015 2-59-38 PM 1116x1484.jpg

Thank you Ben....I can't express how pleased I am.

Mr Vic

Give credit where do!

AdditionI got my package yesterday but wanted to wait until my partner got his.
To quote my PITH Partner " I hope you are not too disappointed when you open your pen and blanks."

Despite these being crappy phone photos (camera batteries dead) You can see preacherman did an awesome job on this Continental Fountain Pen. The fitment is dead on and the color and finish are superb. Can't wait till the weekend to tune the nib a touch and ink her up.

Beautiful pen Dale!:wink:

Will post better pics after new batteries charge for the camera.

Attachments

• IAP Sept 2015 Pith-01_1_1.jpg
    IAP Sept 2015 Pith-01_1_1.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IAP Sept 2015 Pith-03_1.jpg
    IAP Sept 2015 Pith-03_1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IAP Sept 2015 Pith-02_1.jpg
    IAP Sept 2015 Pith-02_1.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

preacherman

Overwhelmed!

I received my pith from Mr Vic today. Wow, all I can say is wow! Not only did I receive an awesome pen, the box was stuffed full with blanks and goodies! I look forward to seeing what I can do with some of these awesome blanks!

Mr. Vic this is an awesome pen.
It is an accord from Woodcraft. Great choice of blanks for this kit and the theme!

Vic, glad that you are pleased with your pen. Like I told you I had some issues getting a pen made. I had a really nice one made and broke it during assembly. Hope you enjoy this one.

Great fun! Thanks so much!

DSCN0361.JPG

DSCN0364.JPG

Last edited:

Skie_M

Looks like an Amber Waves Rhino Plastic (Exotic Blanks) ... very pretty for 3 bucks! :)

Nope all hand cast by me. I cast the blank for the pen is what I thought of as fall colors. I think it turned out nice and was exactly what I was shooting for.

Even better! It still looks like the Amber Waves, though .... and it's still very pretty! :)

Brian G

Edward Cypher and I completed our PITH swap on time! I'll post pictures tomorrow of what Edward sent to me. I want to make sure the picture does the pen and blanks justice.

Thank you, Edward!

Argo13

Here is The Pen and blanks I sent to USNR'03. I used a stabilized spalted maple blank. Dyed it with some red, orange and yellow alcohol dye to try to give it that "Fall" feel. Peter received it yesterday and asked me to post pics.

Jason

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 116
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 113
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 101

liljohn1368

Got this in the mail today from my PITH partner ( BSea ). And I love it. Its a kitless click pen. And several pen blanks. This is my first PITH. I think I'll join the next one this was loads of fun..... Thanks for the pen and blanks Bob. I think they will be put to great use ( my wife has already claimed the pen ). :eek::eek:

Attachments

• downloadfile-2.jpeg
    downloadfile-2.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 145
  • downloadfile-1.jpeg
    downloadfile-1.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 122

BSea

I got my package today too. liljohn1368's and my packages must have crossed paths somewhere around the Miss/Ark border.

I felt like I was opening a Christmas present. JP gave me a heads up on what he was sending, so I knew of some of the extras.

Here's the total loot I got.
Pith Gifts.jpg

And a few pen pics.
PITH Partner Pen 1.jpgPITH Partner Pen 2.jpg

And my wife also claimed the pen, along with the mugs. She's as much of a football fan as I am. Th fit & finish on the pen was perfect. It really does feel good in the hand.

Thanks JP!

liljohn1368

Didn't know for sure if you would like the shirt or not. I felt a little odd when I printed the cups ( being Im a Alabama fan). :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Glad you liked everything.

Brian G

Outstanding Pen and Blanks from Edward R. Cypher

I received my pen and blanks from Edward R. Cypher. The pen is beautiful, and the casting has a 3D effect that the photographs don't capture very well. Orange is the perfect color.

Ed wrote that the pen is his take on a pine cone pen. The leaves and the pine cone were cut off, then put in an orange matrix of PR. The blanks are: crosscut and stabilized black palm, highly figured claro walnut, redwood burl, teak from the USS North Carolina (with COA), and Ed's take on a Denver sunset that is spalted maple that was dyed and stabilized four times to get the different colors (blue, yellow, red, and green). Ed did all of the casting and stabilizing.

FromERC.jpg

Here's a closer picture of the pen:

PenERC.jpg

Thank you, Ed! I can't stop looking at the pen, and I'm eager to turn the blanks. The grain in the claro walnut is fantastic. I dabbed all of them with some mineral spirits just to see the grain. I started drooling. :)

I'll follow with the pen and blanks I sent to Ed. His camera is misbehaving.

Brian G

The Pen and Blanks I sent to Edward R. Cypher

I sent a FOIlage :wink: pen and blanks to Ed. I painted some aluminum foil with Testor's model paint, and then used a scrapbook paper punch to punch foil leaves. I stuck them on the background foil, and cast in Silmar 41. The component set is a CUSA Artisan Cigar.

OctPithToERC.jpg

Here is a closer look at the upper barrel:

Upperbarrel.jpg

The larger wood blank is stabilized and spalted FOG that I think is hackberry, but it didn't have any bark on it when I found the log. The smaller wood blank is stabilized and spalted curly (I hope) and wormy soft maple.

I cast the two PR blanks with the fall theme in mind. The blank in the foreground is a 4-color pour that I hope looks like the hot coals of a fall bonfire. Dark and light gray represent the shades of ash, and orange and yellow represent the fire and glowing embers.

The other PR blank is my attempt at creating a Caramel Apple blank. It's the result of a 4-color pour of green apple, red, white, and caramel brown.

I haven't turned a sample of either of the two cast blanks, so I hope they look good. This was a fun PITH, and I liked the theme. Ed was a great PITH partner!

BSea

Didn't know for sure if you would like the shirt or not. I felt a little odd when I printed the cups ( being Im a Alabama fan). :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Well now I feel stupid. I had an Alabama blank I could have sent in addition to the Ms State blank. I kinda assumed based on the logo in your signature and where you live that you were a Ms State fan.:redface:

Brian Frank

Pens and blanks I sent to woodturningtx

Here are the pens and blanks I sent to woodturningtx. Sorry for the picture as I took it with my Iphone. Both pen blanks were made by me. One is made using mahogany blank and poplar serpentine. Not enough contrast between the two woods but it did come out interesting when seen in person. The second is segmented black oak. It came out of the same log rescued from the wood pile.

IMG_4829.jpg

We exchanged addresses and agreed to send the pith packages out on Monday the 26th. I sent mine as planed. 3 messages sent to woodturningtx have not been answered. The last one sent Friday the 30th. I hope everything is OK. The Package I sent to him was delivered on Wednesday the 28th. Has anyone had this happened to them? Exchange a Pith with a member never to hear from them?

"Say what you mean but don't say it in a mean way."

Edward Cypher

A beautiful pen Brian hit it out of the park!!

My partner was Brian and I would like to thank him for posting what he sent as my camera is on the fritz. The foliage pen is awesome. The pics do not show all the depth and sparkle. Fit and finish is perfect. Brian hit this one out of the park. The planks are awesome. Can't wait to turn the FOG blank it is awesome. The wife has already claimed the caramel apple blank, guess I better get busy. This has been a great experience. I have been in two PITH and they have been wonderful. I suggest that all members that haven't tried one try the next one.

Thanks again Brian.

I sent a FOIlage :wink: pen and blanks to Ed. I painted some aluminum foil with Testor's model paint, and then used a scrapbook paper punch to punch foil leaves. I stuck them on the background foil, and cast in Silmar 41. The component set is a CUSA Artisan Cigar.

View attachment 140315

Here is a closer look at the upper barrel:

View attachment 140316

The larger wood blank is stabilized and spalted FOG that I think is hackberry, but it didn't have any bark on it when I found the log. The smaller wood blank is stabilized and spalted curly (I hope) and wormy soft maple.

I cast the two PR blanks with the fall theme in mind. The blank in the foreground is a 4-color pour that I hope looks like the hot coals of a fall bonfire. Dark and light gray represent the shades of ash, and orange and yellow represent the fire and glowing embers.

The other PR blank is my attempt at creating a Caramel Apple blank. It's the result of a 4-color pour of green apple, red, white, and caramel brown.

I haven't turned a sample of either of the two cast blanks, so I hope they look good. This was a fun PITH, and I liked the theme. Ed was a great PITH partner!

liljohn1368

Well now I feel stupid. I had an Alabama blank I could have sent in addition to the Ms State blank. I kinda assumed based on the logo in your signature and where you live that you were a Ms State fan.:redface:

My wife is the state fan....

BSea

We exchanged addresses and agreed to send the pith packages out on Monday the 26th. I sent mine as planed. 3 messages sent to woodturningtx have not been answered. The last one sent Friday the 30th. I hope everything is OK. The Package I sent to him was delivered on Wednesday the 28th. Has anyone had this happened to them? Exchange a Pith with a member never to hear from them?

Unfortunately it does happen. It happened to me several years back. My partner kept saying he was going to send it, and apologizing for being late, but it never came. This went on for almost a year. Mine wasn't a direct swap, rather it was where you made a pen for someone, and received a pen from someone else. Still the same results though.

Skie_M

Mmmm ... I think there are several of us waiting on our exchange pens. :)

I haven't gotten mine yet from Wyone, but he told me he'ld been having some problems with the pen he was working on, so I'll be patient. :)

Brian Frank

Communication is all I ask. Let me know you received the pith package along with a thank you. I know life gets in the way but have a common sense and let your partner know you are having trouble with the pen. Or better yet stay on the side lines and don't participate. This is my my 2nd Pith. It won't be my last.

Fordwakeman

Awesome pen

I recieved this awesome package this week from Blackwood. I was out of town on business and had to wait to open it. I made the mistake of opening it in front of my wife. She said "its beautiful and its blue, its mine." Well at least I'll get to turn the blanks that Blackwood sent me.

Thanks again to Blackwood for an awesome pen and box of blanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1534a (Large).jpg
    IMG_1534a (Large).jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1528a (Large).jpg
    IMG_1528a (Large).jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 107
Top Bottom