September 2015 PITH Picture posting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Skie M... please post your pics of your work. It is amazing! and so valuable to us. The blanks are awesome as well. Thank you so much!

As requested. The ends of the blanks can still be seen to the left... and I've included an overall picture as well. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 698
  • pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 743
  • pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 717
  • pen4.jpg
    pen4.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 295

wyone

Skie M... you neglected to state the importance of the picture on the pen. You took it upon yourself, and then asked permission to get a picture from online of our 19 year old daughter that we lost not quite 2 months ago. The picture is perfect, the sentiment is perfect, my wife and I are both touched by the compassion that went into doing this for us. We are very grateful.

Skie_M

Skie M... you neglected to state the importance of the picture on the pen. You took it upon yourself, and then asked permission to get a picture from online of our 19 year old daughter that we lost not quite 2 months ago. The picture is perfect, the sentiment is perfect, my wife and I are both touched by the compassion that went into doing this for us. We are very grateful.

True ... but it wasn't my place to tell your story.

Skie_M

Oh, I forgot to mention here ...

I started with 5 copies of that decal. 2 were used to ensure that I had the decal application procedure down properly, and 1 was used for the actual pen. The last 2 were held in reserve in case something bad happened .... since it didn't, they ended up in the box and were sent along to Mitch with everything else. This pen is actually my second with a decal applied, the first being a test with a thin blue line 30 cal bolt action pen in ebonized oak just a few weeks ago. I got the decal kit specifically to do this pen, however.

MikeinSC

Tomtedesco was my swap partner and asked that I post pictures of the pen for him.

So here is my PITH pen for Tom. An end grain, Gun Metal Baron segmented with walnut, teak, purple heart, maple, padauk, some unknown hardwood, acrylic and aluminum.

Attachments

• _20151011_231120.jpg
    _20151011_231120.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 174
  • _20151011_231110.jpg
    _20151011_231110.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 218

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here's the gorgeous pen & blanks that I received from John Smith today.

I believe the pen is a copper Sedona & the blank looks like a Copper Haze acrylic from Exotic Blanks. John can correct me if I'm wrong.

At any rate, the pen & blank are a perfect pairing and John did a wonderful job on this pen. The fit, finish & feel are all spot on and the blank really shimmers as you rotate & tilt it. I've never made one of these pens before, but I do like the look & feel of it, so it's now on my to-do list.

John also sent a nice selection of blanks & I'm especially looking forward to turning that piece of Wenge. It has some gorgeous grain patterns.

Thanks John - this was a lot of fun & I'm glad we had the opportunity to get to know each other a little better. I hope we get matched up again down the road.

Edgar

Attachments

• JohnSmith1.jpg
    JohnSmith1.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 220
  • JohnSmith2.jpg
    JohnSmith2.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 162

John Smith

Thanks for the compliments on the pen Edgar. It is a Sedona from Woodcraft as is the blank. They are one of my favorite kits. Really glad you like it. I will try to get photos of yours up tonight. I can turn a pen , but computers sometimes frazzle me. LOL.

Sprung

My PITH partner was mecompco. Michael sent me a very nice pen! It is Hemlock pine cones, which he cast himself in PR. He put it on an Atrax FP. He also included some great blanks! Blanks are: Maine Moose Antler, KY Coffee Tree Wood, Kona Coffee Wood, African Blackwood, and a Hemlock Pine Cone blank he cast.

Thanks again, Michael! Can't wait to get ink into the pen and start using it and to start putting these blanks to use!

Attachments

• PITH1.jpg
    PITH1.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 155
  • PITH2.jpg
    PITH2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 181
  • PITH3.jpg
    PITH3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 204

John Smith

My PITH partner was edohman. Edgar went over and above sending me 2 pens and a lot of blanks.The first is a Vertex Supreme, dressed in Gold Coast inlace acrylester. The second one is a Vetex click pen, dressed in a nice spalted pecan blank. Both are very well done. My photo skills do not do them justice. Thank you so much Edgar. Looking forward to the next PITH already.

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Blanks.jpg
    Blanks.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 145
  • pen 2.jpg
    pen 2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 174

elkhorn

Just received my PITH gift from my partner DigBaddy72. A very nicely done bolt action AND a bunch of blanks AND a hat from Lambeau Field, home of my hero Vince Lombardi. The blanks are buckeye burl and African blackwood.

Great job on the pen, Keith, and thanks for the extras!

Attachments

• PITH.jpg
    PITH.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 231

hcpens

Nearing the due date of 30 Oct 2015

:eek:WOW, you guys have really posted some beautiful photos of your artwork and I have really appreciated the effort in getting the work done ahead of time.:)

To date I counted 22 team members responding and posting to the thread, out of the 70 or so that signed up. Still have 10 days left so let's get them post so the rest of IAP can enjoy the artwork.:RockOn:

Last edited:

Skie_M

Hey, just a note for the procrastinators!

You'll want to get that package in the mail by Monday, Oct 26th, to be sure it gets cross country and delivered by Friday, Oct 30th!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My PITH partner was edohman. Edgar went over and above sending me 2 pens and a lot of blanks.The first is a Vertex Supreme, dressed in Gold Coast inlace acrylester. The second one is a Vetex click pen, dressed in a nice spalted pecan blank. Both are very well done. My photo skills do not do them justice. Thank you so much Edgar. Looking forward to the next PITH already.

I'm glad you like the pens & blanks, John. This was a fun PITH & I really enjoyed making your pens. I thought the Gold Coast IA blank had some nice autumn colors. We harvest our pecans in the autumn and I would have sent you some pecans, but we haven't started harvesting just yet, so I did the next best thing & included a pen made from some of our pecan wood.

My photo skills leave a lot to be desired as well, but these photos might show the detail & colors a little better.

Attachments

• GoldCoast1.jpg
    GoldCoast1.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Pecan3.jpg
    Pecan3.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 190

alankulwicki7

:eek:WOW, you guys have really posted some beautiful photos of your artwork and I have really appreciated the effort in getting the work done ahead of time.:)

To date I counted 22 team members responding and posting to the thread, out of the 70 or so that signed up. Still have 10 days left so let's get them post so the rest of IAP can enjoy the artwork.:RockOn:

My pen for 'manleymaille' is all packaged up and will be going in the mail tomorrow :biggrin:

Sabaharr

I got my Swap from KenV last week. It was actually a pencil in grey snakeskin. SWEET. I would post a pic if I could figure out how. My pics are all on my camera or phone and it asks for a URL to post the pics. While I can build a spaceship from scratch I am not real computer savvy and haven't found the directions on here to the process. Anyway I sent KenV a heavily spalted maple Cigar pen in gold finish.

DigBaddy72

Just received my PITH gift from my partner DigBaddy72. A very nicely done bolt action AND a bunch of blanks AND a hat from Lambeau Field, home of my hero Vince Lombardi. The blanks are buckeye burl and African blackwood.

Great job on the pen, Keith, and thanks for the extras!

Glad you like them John! It was fun being partnered with you! If you get to Green Bay, I highly recommend you check out the Packer Hall of Fame. They recreated Vince's office, it is truly a work of art!

Skie_M

I got my Swap from KenV last week. It was actually a pencil in grey snakeskin. SWEET. I would post a pic if I could figure out how. My pics are all on my camera or phone and it asks for a URL to post the pics. While I can build a spaceship from scratch I am not real computer savvy and haven't found the directions on here to the process. Anyway I sent KenV a heavily spalted maple Cigar pen in gold finish.

When responding and wanting to post a picture, you must be using a computer rather than a phone or a PDA, unless the PDA can get online and properly display the forum.

Do not use the "fast response" feature, it is limited in it's capability. Under the text box, you will find a button that says "Go Advanced" ... click on that for a full featured response option.

attachment.php

Once you have it uploaded, right-click the image file itself and a small menu pops up .... you want the one that's shown selected here to copy the image file's location.

attachment.php

Once you have that copied in your clipbook, it's a simple matter of using the image tool that you are familiar with (the little yellow box
insertimage.gif
) and hitting control+v to paste your image where you want it.

allmaclean

PITH Old Bessie

Received a good looking pen and pencil set made in corian and a nice selection of blanks. Set looks really well made with a nice balance. I haven't had the chance to try my hand at acrylics as yet so this has got me wanting to try

MY exchange is going out today. Found as I progressed in this hobby, I got more picky and judgmental of my work. More so since I started trying a CA finish to the blanks. Every little error is magnified :-(

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 227

allmaclean

Thanks for the instruction - very timely. I even had a hard time finding this thread for PITH. I usually just go to the home page.

Thanks

Skie_M

When responding and wanting to post a picture, you must be using a computer rather than a phone or a PDA, unless the PDA can get online and properly display the forum.

Do not use the "fast response" feature, it is limited in it's capability. Under the text box, you will find a button that says "Go Advanced" ... click on that for a full featured response option.

attachment.php

Once you have it uploaded, right-click the image file itself and a small menu pops up .... you want the one that's shown selected here to copy the image file's location.

attachment.php

Once you have that copied in your clipbook, it's a simple matter of using the image tool that you are familiar with (the little yellow box
insertimage.gif
) and hitting control+v to paste your image where you want it.

(reposted ... I have NO idea where the pictures went!!)

And remember, you want to get your pen in the mail by Monday so it gets where it's going by Friday! :)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 485
  • images2.jpg
    images2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 526

Old Bessie

Passed Away Sep 13, 2016
In Memoriam
My PITH partner was "allmaclean" and I received his parcel in the mail just minutes ago. He sent a selection of blanks of woods that I was never able to afford or get my hands on. To say I am excited to be able to turn these blanks is a huge understatement. And I also received a beautiful pen of what I believe is a spalted maple (my favorite wood!) if not maple, I may have a new favorite wood! The fit and finish on this pen is flawless, I can only hope to get to Al's level of penmaking. I hope that the pen set and blanks that I sent didn't wreck this event for you. I'm a work in progress.

Thanks Mr. Mclean! You're fine work and generosity is appreciated more than you will ever know. I wish you all the best, always.

~Old Bessie

Attachments

• 20151026_120945edit.jpg
    20151026_120945edit.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 235

Sprung

I think Michael (mecompco) has been too busy writing with the pen I sent him to post pics! :eek: I know it arrived last week and that he's been putting it to good use! :wink:

Drewboy22

My PITH partner was "allmaclean" and I received his parcel in the mail just minutes ago. He sent a selection of blanks of woods that I was never able to afford or get my hands on. To say I am excited to be able to turn these blanks is a huge understatement. And I also received a beautiful pen of what I believe is a spalted maple (my favorite wood!) if not maple, I may have a new favorite wood! The fit and finish on this pen is flawless, I can only hope to get to Al's level of penmaking. I hope that the pen set and blanks that I sent didn't wreck this event for you. I'm a work in progress.

Thanks Mr. Mclean! You're fine work and generosity is appreciated more than you will ever know. I wish you all the best, always.

~Old Bessie

The underlined statement is what a lot of us "newbies" think or thought when we saw the pith. That is why I didn't join in, I thought I could not compete. After reading the several post that get put up every day and communicating with several of the new members in person, I have come to understand that it is not "What" they get but "What" it means to you and what is behind it. I am looking forward to the next PITH just to challenge myself and see what I can do.

I am sure Al will appreciate whatever he gets.

Drew

evan bahr

pith photo Sept.

I received this from EN pens, AKA Ed Nagel. He managed to put my initials into the pen giving it a 3D effect that doesn't show up well in the photo. He did a great job. He also sent me some M&Ms that are not shown because I ate them! Thanks for the pen, M&Ms, and pen blanks Ed! Evan

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 173

KenV

Pen from Sabaharr

I was gifted with an extreme spalted cigar pen from Sabaharr. Dr Spalt would be proud of the spalt lines in that pen!!!

Very Very Nice indeed.

I suspect that there was a drop or two of cactus juice involved given the extreme black lines.

Thanks again Sabaharr!!!

Attachments

• SpaltedMapleCigar[1].jpg
    SpaltedMapleCigar[1].jpg
    165 KB · Views: 203

mecompco

I think Michael (mecompco) has been too busy writing with the pen I sent him to post pics! :eek: I know it arrived last week and that he's been putting it to good use! :wink:

Yes, I have been putting Matt's pen to good use. By dropping deviously subtle hints (think Ralphie in A Christmas Story), Matt decided entirely upon his own to make me a pen out of my all time favorite timber, Desert Iron Wood. :biggrin:

Getting me out of my comfort zone and into a FP was his idea--and thanks! I am so loving this pen. My photos don't do the pen justice, but fit, finish, and materials are top-notch.

As you can further see, Matt was extremely generous in sending blanks. Two awesome DIW blanks, Curley Claro Walnut, Black Ash Burl, Stabilized Buckeye Burl, Maple Burl, and an amazingly nice Crosscut Flamed stabilized Boxelder! Oh, I almost forgot, two containers of premium ink.

My last word is that this PITH was great fun and I hope that I gave as good as I got (though I admit that Matt's skill is above mine). :)

Regards,
Michael

Sprung

Michael, I'm glad you like the pen! I'd say this was a good PITH! I enjoyed making that pen for you and choosing some blanks to send you. I also enjoyed the pen and blanks I received from you. Even more than that, I enjoyed our exchange of messages!

It wasn't hard to choose DIW for your pen! 1. I knew you really like DIW. 2. It's one of my favorite woods too - and makes such a sharp looking pen. I am glad that I was able to get you out of your comfort zone with a fountain pen!

BTW, your pictures of the pen are way better than the quick ones I snapped before sending it off to you. :wink:

mrgator

I just received my package from my PITH partner James ( BLADE.WHITE ). It's not very often that this happens, but I am speechless! In addition to 10 blanks and 7 pen kits, James crafted for me one of the nicest pens I've seen! Believe me when I say the pics come nowhere close to doing this work of art justice.

Attachments

• pith1.jpg
    pith1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 146
  • pith2.jpg
    pith2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 133
Top Bottom