September 2015 PITH Picture posting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I received my pen/blanks from TwinkE (Kevin). It is beautiful!

I have not bought a Roman Harvest Kit, so this is a real treat - Thank you Kevin. The blank is Stabilized Kelat Burl - has a beautiful Chatoyance!

I must say, the "Young Guns" are holding their own - this is a superb pen in terms of turning and finishing! Well done!

Attachments

• IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2406.jpg
    IMG_2406.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrimsonKeel

My apologies to Smitty37 in not getting pictures of the great pen he sent me up very quickly.
He Included some great blanks that have since made it into my "Great" pen blank box. Not sure if they will ever get used as I sort through that box a lot but end up putting everything back thinking ill wait for the perfect kit to come along to showcase them. anyway thanks for the great pen smitty37

HtILXJQ.jpg

IxrXGEj.jpg

And like in the past the new pen with all the PITH pens i have ever got
sEOLMFI.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Frank

Pith Package

My Pith partner contacted me. As all of us has from time to time. Life gets in the way. The Pith Package is on the way. Thanks BSea for your offer of stepping in and sending me a pith Pen. Pay it forward.

Communication is all I ask. Let me know you received the pith package along with a thank you. I know life gets in the way but have a common sense and let your partner know you are having trouble with the pen. Or better yet stay on the side lines and don't participate. This is my my 2nd Pith. It won't be my last.

"Say what you mean but don't say it in a mean way."

bmac

PITH

Got my pen from Krash (Kelly). A very nice segmented pen, using spalted oak, Wenge and Koa wood with some aluminum accent, super nice. He also included some nice pen blanks, walnut, spalted maple, maple burl, tamerind, hickory and yucca. Since I have never turned any yucca, I'm really looking forward to turning that. Thanks for a super nice pen, Krash.

Attachments

• 20151105_114100-1.jpg
    20151105_114100-1.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 158
  • 20151105_114254.jpg
    20151105_114254.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 20151105_115848.jpg
    20151105_115848.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 138

Skie_M

Watch out for stringy fibres in the yucca .... they used to make rope and clothing from that stuff, though it may be from the leaves rather than the central stalk.

It still looks like an interesting selection of blanks I'ld love to turn! :)

Krash

Got my pen from Krash (Kelly). A very nice segmented pen, using spalted oak, Wenge and Koa wood with some aluminum accent, super nice. He also included some nice pen blanks, walnut, spalted maple, maple burl, tamerind, hickory and yucca. Since I have never turned any yucca, I'm really looking forward to turning that. Thanks for a super nice pen, Krash.

Glad you like it Bobby!

That is brass segmenting, not aluminum. A lot harder to turn but it matched the gold pen components.

I didn't have much trouble turning the yucca. It is a bit soft up the center so you'll have to use some thin CA to stabilize it. I would experiment with some stain or color since it is largely featureless.

The walnut makes a super pen!

Have fun!

alankulwicki7

I received my pen from manleymaille a few days ago. I've been getting ready for a show this weekend so I will post pictures when I have a chance.

BTW Daniel, I love the pen!

Skie_M

Got my box of blanks in too .... these will be awesome to play with!

Thanks to all who donated blanks for us new people!

Now I'm just waiting on my Pen In The Hat from Wyone... I'm sure he's cooking up something awesome! :)

manleymaille

Here is my pen from 'manleymaille'. Not sure of the kit but the pen is made from antler. It has a nice soft finish and looks great!

Daniel also included a nice assortment of blanks.

Thanks again, Daniel! Great job!

Doug sorry I was picking up the inside of my truck and found the note I thought had been put in the box... The pen is moose antler on a Baron Rollerball.. the blanks from top to bottom are Moose Antler, Yew, Holly, Zebra Wood, Spalted Maple, and Lace Wood. Glad you enjoy the pen.

Daniel

alankulwicki7

Here is my pen from 'manleymaille'. Not sure of the kit but the pen is made from antler. It has a nice soft finish and looks great!

Doug sorry I was picking up the inside of my truck and found the note I thought had been put in the box... The pen is moose antler on a Baron Rollerball.. the blanks from top to bottom are Moose Antler, Yew, Holly, Zebra Wood, Spalted Maple, and Lace Wood. Glad you enjoy the pen.

Daniel

Thanks for the info, Daniel. How did you finish the pen? I really like the feel of it...

manleymaille

Daniel

Thanks for the info, Daniel. How did you finish the pen? I really like the feel of it...

all i did on it was micro-mesh it and a coating of cannuba wax on the lathe and then i hit it with the three wheel beall system.

Pete275

Got this great box of PITH goodies from Jerry AKA (SEER) a couple of weeks ago and thought I should finally upload some pics. I received a really cool cigar pen wrapped in what I am told is a Brooks Blank and several great blanks. I look forward to turn these to see what they will look like. Lots of very neat stuff. This is why I like the Piths. Sorry the pics aren't better, I need to work on that. Thanks very much Jerry!

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 151

plantman

Here are some photos of the pen that Ash (whteglve) sent me along with some other goodies. Instead of showing you a box of 3/4" blanks, I chose to show one of the blanks he sent me that I have made into a pen. I think this gives the members a better idea of what the blank can be made into once turned. The last photo is the reclaimed or scrap wood blank he sent me. Quite impressive !! I will post a seperate thread with this pen also. Sorry for the glare, I used my desk lamp to take the photos. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCN0839 (800x559).jpg
    DSCN0839 (800x559).jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN0840 (378x800).jpg
    DSCN0840 (378x800).jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN0841 (800x597).jpg
    DSCN0841 (800x597).jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN0834 (800x672).jpg
    DSCN0834 (800x672).jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

hcpens

PITH Pen & Blank SWAP PICTURES

Looks like the contest is winding down, still I cannot believe all of the BEAUTIFUL artwork that has been posted.

The amount of generosity that is show by members to others has been above and beyond what I expected.

I wish to thank the staff of IAP for letting me run this PITH, and hope more of the new members will join in on the next one, as I had a blast.

To the members that did not actually sign up, but JUMPED in to save the day, thanks!!!

:bananen_smilies046::bananen_smilies046:

Richard
HCPENS

USNR'03

Looks like the contest is winding down, still I cannot believe all of the BEAUTIFUL artwork that has been posted.

The amount of generosity that is show by members to others has been above and beyond what I expected.

I wish to thank the staff of IAP for letting me run this PITH, and hope more of the new members will join in on the next one, as I had a blast.

To the members that did not actually sign up, but JUMPED in to save the day, thanks!!!

:bananen_smilies046::bananen_smilies046:

Richard
HCPENS

Richard,

Thanks for running this PITH

Skie_M

I really appreciate your patience Ski M... things well you know.. just not back to normal.. and doubt they ever will be, so been spending every spare moment beside my wife rather than setting up the workshop. All a matter if priorities at this time, but I will make you something awesome I swear! And so appreciative of you!! Will be checking my mailbox as soon as the mail person delivers! :) :)

I am happy to report that I got a package in the mail today ... there's no pen in it, as Mitch has been having some extreme difficulties approaching this project for some time, and this on top of taking the time to help his wife cope with their loss. I'll be posting a picture (possibly tomorrow) with the contents of the box, and I can say that I am more than happy to turn my own pen from what he sent along to me!

I've never turned a Caballero or a Le Roi V2 or a Perfume Atomizer or one of Smitty's Pen Works Vintage Convertibles before, so these will all be great additions to my collection! (Well, the Perfume Atomizer is going to my step-mom, that's a no-brainer!) The wood blanks are just awesome ... 2 absolutely lovely pieces of burl, a crosscut walnut blank, I think a cherry blank, a curly maple blank that looks curiously exactly the same as what I sent him (lol!) but with no writing on it, several spalted blanks that I can't wait to try out, and what appears to be 2 pen blanks of mahogany... I'm really going to enjoy these and have some fun this month! :)

Now ... if only I had some bushings .... lemmie look some stuff up online! :laugh:

(NOTE TO EVERYBODY - THIS IS LAST YEAR'S PITH THREAD, THIS POST BELONGS HERE, NOT IN THE OCTOBER 2016 THREAD.)

Skie_M

Ok ... I forgot to get pictures yesterday when the sun was shining ... it's a little overcast today, but still decently bright out, so I grabbed these real quick. :)

Again, as a reminder, this is last year's PITH.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• wyone1.jpg
    wyone1.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 193
  • wyone2.jpg
    wyone2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 178
Top Bottom