Pretty Wood Pen Contest Rules. New Contest!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
New to the Summer Extravaganza this year is the Pretty Wood Pen contest.
BrianG stepped up and took charge wanting to have a simple Pretty Wood pen contest. Here are the rules, please read them and leave any comments or suggestions.

2016 Summer Extravaganza Pretty Wood Pen Contest
In Remembrance of Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman)

Sometimes in making pens, we get wrapped up trying the newest techniques, exploring fancy (and even a little gaudy) pen kits, chasing the next greatest manmade blank medium, or losing ourselves inventing new styles or looks. Those are great pursuits, and they help advance our craft. There are times, though, where getting back to basics is refreshing, relaxing, and rewarding. That's the purpose of this contest: Make a Pretty Wood Pen

What is a Pretty Wood Pen? We may have differing opinions of what makes a wood pen pretty, but we probably can agree that a Pretty Wood Pen comprises an elegant piece of timber, complementary hardware (kit, if you prefer), subtle shape and masterful fit, and an impeccable finish.

Need Inspiration? Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman), who recently passed away, likely coined the "pretty wood pen" description that accompanied his posts.

This Pink Ivory pretty wood pen should inspire you.

Maybe this Snakewood pretty wood pen catches your fancy.

Single barrel pens can be pretty wood pens

The Rules

In addition to the Universal Contest Rules, the following rules apply:

Blank Material
Your blank material must be wood. No plastics, no composites, no metal, no casting, no mixed wood and plastics, nor any material other than wood is allowed.
No inlay, onlay, overlay, stickers, oops bands, CNC, laser art, segmenting, lamination, celtic knots, or carving is allowed and will cause disqualification.
Stabilized wood is allowed.
Dyes, stains, pigmentation, paints, or any other colorants are not allowed.
Pen kit/component hardware
Any commercially available kit/component hardware may be used, whether ballpoint, fountain, or rollerball.
No modification to the kit/component hardware is allowed. You must use all parts of the stock kit/component set.
Kitless pens are not allowed.
Photographs
Two photographs are required for entry. One photograph must be clip up, nib to the left. The second photograph must be clip up, nib to the right. This gives a view of both sides of the pen.
You may submit a third photograph showing your pretty wood pen in any orientation of your choosing.
Consider a photograph size of 800 x 600 as ideal. The contest chair reserves the right to resize photographs or slightly crop them to achieve a consistent image size.
You may use a commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop.
You may use a small off-cut of your pretty wood blank as a prop.
No other props are allowed.
Use a single-colored, plain background. The color and intensity of the background affects the highlights of your pen. The background should let your pen stand out, not interfere with it.
No montages, watermarks, or any other identifying marks that might reveal the identity of the maker.
Submit your entry by email to: prettywoodpen@earthlink.net and include the following with your entry:
Name, Username, email address,
a statement that describes the pretty wood you chose to use for your pen, and
attach the two pictures required, plus the optional third picture of your choosing.

Please send a private message to Brian G after you submit your entry to help ensure that your entry has been received.

The Pretty Wood Contest begins August 1, 2016, and ends August 21, 2016, at midnight CST.

Prizes will be announced at a later date.

Please post questions in this thread, by private message to Brian G, or by email to prettywoodpen@earthlink.net. I appreciate your patience as you wait for a response. I have limited forum access during business hours.

Get busy, good luck, and let us see your Pretty Wood Pen.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Brian - I really really like this contest. It is relaxing to know that the only criteria is the wood and the finish, although the kit can have a bearing.

Way to step up with a new contest!!!

Brian G

Thanks, Kelly. I hope we have lots of entries. The SOYP forum has pretty wood pens posted almost daily.

Monty, just one entry per person. Thank you for asking. I'll add that to the final rules for posting.

KenV

Looks like pyrography is the only embellishment not prohibited, and perhaps gliding.

Will be interesting....

Brian G

Thanks for the comment, Ken. Those are techniques are prohibited. Perhaps I should have stated "No embellishments." I suppose somebody could protest that the finish is an embellishment. The list of "what about...." could be endless; I tried to anticipate what I expected to be asked. :)

The goal for this contest is to keep things simple. We have enough contests for extra stuff and techniques.

Top Bottom