Pretty Wood Pen Contest Rules.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Back again this year is the Pretty Wood Pen Contest, it will be run by Brian G
Read the rules and ask any questions you may have or suggestions.
Default 2017 Pretty Wood Pen Contest
2017 Birthday BASH Pretty Wood Pen Contest
In Remembrance of Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman)

Sometimes in making pens, we get wrapped up trying the newest techniques, exploring fancy (and even a little gaudy) pen kits, chasing the next greatest manmade blank medium, or losing ourselves inventing new styles or looks. There are times, though, where getting back to basics is refreshing, relaxing, and rewarding. That's the purpose of this contest: Make a Pretty Wood Pen

What is a Pretty Wood Pen? We may have differing opinions of what makes a wood pen pretty, but we probably can agree that a Pretty Wood Pen comprises an elegant piece of timber, complementary hardware (kit, if you prefer), subtle shape and masterful fit, and an impeccable finish.

Need Inspiration? Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman) likely coined the "pretty wood pen" description that accompanied his posts.

This Pink Ivory pretty wood pen should inspire you.

Maybe this Snakewood pretty wood pen catches your fancy.

Single barrel pens can be pretty wood pens

2016 Summer Extravaganza entries

The Rules

In addition to the Universal Contest Rules, the following rules apply:

Blank Material
Your blank material must be wood. No plastics, no composites, no metal, no casting, no mixed wood and plastics, nor any material other than wood is allowed.
No embellishments to the blank are allowed. This means, for example, no inlay, onlay, overlay, stickers, oops bands, CNC, laser art, segmenting, lamination, celtic knots, burning, engraving, or carving is allowed and will cause disqualification.
Stabilized wood is allowed.
Dyes, stains, pigmentation, paints, or any other colorants are not allowed.
Pen kit/component hardware
Any commercially available kit/component hardware may be used, whether ballpoint, fountain, or rollerball.
No modification to the kit/component hardware is allowed. You must use all parts of the stock kit/component set.
Kitless pens are not allowed.
Photographs
Two photographs are required for entry. One photograph must be clip up, nib to the left. The second photograph must be clip up, nib to the right. This gives a view of both sides of the pen.
Consider a photograph size of 800 x 600 as ideal. The contest chair reserves the right to resize photographs or slightly crop them to achieve a consistent image size.
You may use a commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop.
You may use a small off-cut of your pretty wood blank as a prop.
No other props are allowed.
Use a single-colored, plain background. The color and intensity of the background affects the highlights of your pen. The background should let your pen stand out, not interfere with it.
No montages, watermarks, or any other identifying marks that might reveal the identity of the maker.
Insert Entry form link here.
a brief statement that describes the pretty wood you chose to use for your pen, and
attach the two pictures required.
Do not post your entry in this thread

One entry per person

Please send a private message to Brian G after you submit your entry to help ensure that your entry has been received.

The Pretty Wood Contest begins February XX, 2017, and ends February XX, 2017, at midnight CST.

Prizes will be announced at a later date.

Please post questions in this thread, by private message to Brian G, or by email to prettywoodpen@earthlink.net. I appreciate your patience as you wait for a response. I have limited forum access during business hours.

Get busy, good luck, and let us see your Pretty Wood Pen.

Prizes

First Place -
Second Place -
Third Place -

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

I thought I'd bump this up with some links to pretty wood pens:

[highlight][thread=68221]This Pink Ivory pretty wood pen[/thread][/highlight] should inspire you.

[highlight][thread=63828]Maybe this Snakewood pretty wood pen[/thread][/highlight] catches your fancy.

[highlight][thread=63889]Single barrel pens can be pretty wood pens[/thread][/highlight]

[highlight][thread=142515] 2016 Summer Extravaganza entries[/thread][/highlight]

I've seen a few SOYP pictures that would have made some excellent entries into the 2017 BASH Pretty Wood Pen contest. Too bad they are no longer eligible for entry because they've been posted. :frown:

Save your best for the contest!

Last edited by a moderator:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THey work for me also. It may be that Im on a desk top and not a phone. Can anyone else see them or not and what are you viewing them on?

budnder

Where do we draw the line at what's considered wood?

I'm thinking of fringe things that people stabilize and turn, like cactus skeletons, pine cones, and corn cobs?

While stabilization is allowed, I assume anything other than incidental clear filling would not be allowed (as that would be considered casting or a wood hybrid).

Brian G

Thanks for the query, Roy.

Cactus skeleton. . no
Pine cone. . . no
Corn cob. . .no
Fringe stuff that people stabilize and turn. . . no.

True, anything other than incidental clear filling from stabilization is not allowed.

Whoo-hoo! jttheclockman threw down the gauntlet. :)

jttheclockman

Thanks for the query, Roy.

Cactus skeleton. . no
Pine cone. . . no
Corn cob. . .no
Fringe stuff that people stabilize and turn. . . no.

True, anything other than incidental clear filling from stabilization is not allowed.

Whoo-hoo! jttheclockman threw down the gauntlet. :)

Not much of a gauntlet. So do not be afraid of me but will say this I decided to play in a few of these things this year and I am bringing my "A" game. How about all you folks. Come and play it will be fun. Let the wood do the talking in this one. One of the more easier contests. Mother Nature is doing all the work. :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well...it's been a while since I entered any contest, but as Lou made a very pretty wood pen for me, then I think I should make one in his memory. I'm not so good with wood, so if I can, then YOU can:wink:
This is the one he made for me.

Attachments

• Lous Gift.jpg
    Lous Gift.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

jttheclockman

Well...it's been a while since I entered any contest, but as Lou made a very pretty wood pen for me, then I think I should make one in his memory. I'm not so good with wood, so if I can, then YOU can:wink:
This is the one he made for me.

Listen Skip it is about the wood so do not go putting it on some fancy bolt pen. Not nice to fool with Mother Nature.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Brian G

You need a round tuit to get the job done.

C'mon over to the Pretty Wood Pen Contest subforum and post the witty banter there. :)

Top Bottom