Post your Oct 2016 PITH Photos Here...Teasers are Welcome! - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > IAP Management Team > Activities Manager
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Activities Manager Mike Redburn is the IAP Activities Manager

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Glad that you liked it. I sure hope that you enjoy turning the different woods if you have never had the chance before. The Kona Coffee blank is kind of bland but cool just to say it is "Kona Coffee" while doing a cup. I believe there are some blanks that will make some awesome pens, make sure to post pictures of the results. Always enjoy the swaps, until next time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley2001 View Post
October pith from MrPukaShell all I can say is wow wow.thank you.

Robert
Simi Valley CA
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
Thanks Vic, I'm glad you like it.

The Ph Acacia blanks came from a cutting board that I picked up on my last trip to Hawaii - I think they call it Roadside Acacia over there.
Unfortunatly the pictures doesn't show the color change as the light hits it at different angle. Chatoyance doesn't rely define it.
Thanks Vic - you're right about the color change on that one -it kinda reminds me of Autumn color changes. I was really surprised & pleased at that effect after I finished it.

That Ph Acacia blank that I included is from the same cutting board, but I'm not sure if it was immediately adjacent to this blank. I hope it will have a similar effect.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default PITH

I received my PITH package in the mail today. Rick(taz442) sent me a very nice cigar pen and some really nice blanks. He did an excellent job on the pen and the finish is beautiful. Thank you very much Rick.

Al
Attached Thumbnails
20161017_175552.jpg   20161017_175830.jpg  
gmal55 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I received my pen from marko50 is was a nice sierra pen with what looked like one of his homemade copper blanks I would post pics but don't have a camera right now so I asked him to post them for me
thanks so much for the pen it will go into my rowing collection
penmaker1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

Default Pith Pens from Mr Vic and SSobel

I really hit the jackpot yesterday when the mailman delivered two PITH packages. One was from Vic Vickers (Mr Vic) and the other was from Steve Sobel (SSobel).

Vic was my randomly assigned partner and he sent me a gorgeous Wall Street II pen (Elegant Beauty style) dressed in Cholla Cactus with Cripple Creek Turquoise and Antler accents. This is my favorite pen style and Vic hit it out of the park with the blank & finish. He also sent me a great set of blanks: Tiger Wood, Persimmon, Claro Walnut, African Mahogany, Juniper, a couple of pieces of Cholla and some plastic rod.

Vic said that the plastic rod makes great shop pencils - well, I happen to have a couple of shop pencil kits that I've been wanting to try, so one of them will get this plastic blank. I agree that it looks like a great pairing. The juniper came from a 100+ year old fence post. Being an old country boy who has built his share of many miles of fence line over the years, I'm partial to making pens from salvaged fence posts, so I really appreciate this special piece of wood.

Since we had an odd number of participants, Steve and I arranged a swap between us -- it just didn't seem right that the organizer of this PITH should have to sit it out. Steve really outdid himself - he sent me a beautiful Cigar Pen dressed in an awesome Maple Seed Pod casting - I just love the natural autumn colors in this blank - the photo doesn't do it justice. Plus, that's a material that you don't see much in these here parts.

Steve also sent me several blanks that he cast himself, including one that is Fruity Pebbles cast in Alumilite -- that one is going to become my granddaughter's Christmas Pen. There's also a couple of special Silmar 41 castings and a nice piece of Spalted Hackberry from his dad's property in KY. I always like wood with a story!

Thanks guys, there is no doubt that I got the better end of both of these swaps!
Attached Thumbnails
pens-vic-steve.jpg   pen-blanks-vic.jpg   pen-blanks-steve.jpg  
Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Glad you like the stash Edgar. Curious if that Fruity Pebbles blank will smell like the cereal when you turn it? Might have to polish with MM dipped in milk.

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.......

President Pikes Peak Woodturners - AAW Chapter

Last edited by Mr Vic; 10-18-2016 at 09:23 PM. Reason: <sp>
Mr Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Got my PITH today from Eric(mrgator). Great looking pen and blanks. I am not able to post photos so he said he would. Hope he tells what the pen is, as I am not too good at identifying pens I haven't done.

Thanks Eric
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Here are the pics of the items I sent to my partner John ( John Smith ). The pen is a Majestic Jr. dressed in old growth redwood lace burl. A couple different blanks with my attempt at worthless wood & sweet gum pod casting. I hope you enjoy John!

View in gallery

View in gallery
Old 10-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vic View Post
Glad you like the stash Edgar. Curious if that Fruity Pebbles blank will smell like the cereal when you turn it? Might have to polish with MM dipped in milk.
I wish it smelled that good when it was turned! I made one in white to look like milk too...I couldn't decide which on looked better...6c678b_de7798d3010844788db856152773c1b5.jpg

6c678b_bf6d244fdea842c983b1c1997e28b128.jpg
Old 10-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 11

20161020_071505.jpg

20161020_071424.jpg

Well, I was flabbergasted when I cam home from night school and found this sitting on my dining room table...WOW Edgar! I love it! I have always wanted to turn a pen from the wood off of "Old Ironsides"!!

I love the cross-cut grain and every little bit of character it has. It really will be a treasured pen. I have placed it on my desk at work (Naval Station Norfolk) for all to admire and to keep their grubby little mitts off of!!

I can't wait to turn some of the other blanks Edgar included in the package.

This has to be the best part about turning. Interacting with other crafters and seeing the joy we give to each other through something so simple.

Superb Job Edgar!
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads