PITH 2010 PHOTOS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

MAN!!! There are some DAMN fine pens being passed around here... Consider this my big round of applause for everyone's hard work and great skills and ideas here, and a second one for all Mike's hard work!!!!

It's a good thing the prize is awarded randomly, cause I'd hate to have to be the person who had to pick a winner out of this bunch of stellar examples...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaywood1207

This is the pen I sent to Eric (ESwindell) and I'll post it now that I know it's arrived. Eric and I decided to go with the original intent and use our country's flag colours. It is a 2 tone chrome sierra and I used red embroidery thread, white string, and blue cord to wrap the tube and then lots of CA. One thing that was neat once it was done is that little bits of the brass tube show through the blue and they kind of look like the stars.

Attachments

• DSCF7472 (Small).JPG
    DSCF7472 (Small).JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 158

HazzaB

Hey There,

Received my PITH pen today from Vic Vickers, It is awesome, Cholla Cactus Skeleton, with Truestone, Bone filling, finished off with CA. Also a selection of local Timber Blanks and some composite Flooring material blanks, some Ink cartridges and Polishing Bushes, a great swap and a new friend made.

Thanks Vic:good::good::RockOn:

HazzaB

Attachments

• Pith Pen 017a.jpg
    Pith Pen 017a.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Pith Pen 022a.jpg
    Pith Pen 022a.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 174

TurnaPen

Pen made for Alphageek

Here is the pen I made for AlphaGeek (Dean), had the satabilized Pine cone from around two years ago, before it ever took off ; I had put it aside for some reason-probably meant for Dean!?! Amos:)

Attachments

• correct 2 (Large).jpg
    correct 2 (Large).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 204
  • correct 3 (Large).jpg
    correct 3 (Large).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 173
  • P1060562 (Large).jpg
    P1060562 (Large).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 201
  • P1060565 (Large).jpg
    P1060565 (Large).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 174

LarryDNJR

PITH Pen From Gofer To LarryDNJR

I received my PITH package from Bruce(Gofer) a little while back. Upon opening it I was amazed at all the wonderful goodies. :) To be honest I went through all of the wood before even opening the box the pen was in. I was uh saving the best for last. :) Bruce did an excellent job on this pen. He wrote a letter to me explaining just like myself it took him a few attempts to accomplish what he wanted to do. Also like me this pen had a few firsts for him. I think he did a great job, I like the pen a-lot, I will be putting this one up for display.

I must say I was thrilled to participate in this event. It was different and enjoyable. Bruce made a great partner to communicate with and trade pens plus goodies. I am looking forward in the future to continue that with him. I can't wait for the next event like this! :)

Larry

Attachments

• Gofer Received PITH Package Resized.jpg
    Gofer Received PITH Package Resized.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 184

LarryDNJR

I am glad you and the wife both like the pen. I was really happy with the results of this one and couldn't want to send it to you!

I hope you put all those extras to good use! :)

Larry

My package showed up in the mail today, a few days earlier than expected. I love it when the post office actually does their job right.

LarryDNJR already posted pictures of all the extras he sent but seems like a whole lot more when it is on the work bench. I will have lots of work to make use of all the supplies he sent.

The pen he made looks great, he stuck to Mike's flag theme and did a great herringbone design out of acrylics. I had the pen out of the case for about 10 seconds when my wife tried to claim it as one of hers. My picture taking skills just don't do the pen justice at all.

392044709.jpg

You did a great job on the pen Larry, thanks for being my swap partner.

Bruce

skywizzard

Got my PITH exchange last week. Just now getting around to photographs. Mike (mbroberg) sent me this beautiful long click dressed in custom PR, thanks Mike. Also included an assortment of great blanks. Everything from a lovely piece of marble wood, to a blue PVC blank. Lots of potential for great pens here. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20100923PITH002.jpg
    20100923PITH002.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 20100923PITH003.jpg
    20100923PITH003.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 20100923PITH001.jpg
    20100923PITH001.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 174

Mr Vic

I won the turquoise at the AAW chapter meeting which made my switch from the soapstone to this pen a no brainer. I'd had the blanks laying around for months. Almost kept it for myself but hey...I can make a new one....Thrilled that you like it......

Hey There,

Received my PITH pen today from Vic Vickers, It is awesome, Cholla Cactus Skeleton, with Truestone, Bone filling, finished off with CA. Also a selection of local Timber Blanks and some composite Flooring material blanks, some Ink cartridges and Polishing Bushes, a great swap and a new friend made.

Thanks Vic:good::good::RockOn:

HazzaB

alphageek

Former Moderator
Amos, you do tremendous work. your swap partners are so lucky! I know, I have been one.
I assume you did the engraving as well.
Here is the pen I made for AlphaGeek (Dean), had the satabilized Pine cone from around two years ago, before it ever took off ; I had put it aside for some reason-probably meant for Dean!?! Amos:)

I am!!! I'm just stunned by the pen (and it is my first full size pen! - I've never made bigger than jrs).

Amos rocks!

PTownSubbie

I posted these a while back in the PITH Photos folder because Terryf had not received the pen. Well, he received one of his packages so the actual pen shouldn't be far behind.

Here it is. A Jr. Gent Black Titanium fountain pen replication of the South African flag.

It pushed my segmenting skill further than any other pen I have made to date.

I hope he likes it!!

Jim Burr

Banned
Even though I got a late start :redface:, Alice and I finally swapped info and pens.
This Closed-end Copper has the primary spot on my desk. I tried taking it to work and had to steal it back 3 times. It feels great and writes even better!

Attachments

• pitha.jpg
    pitha.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 168
  • pithb.jpg
    pithb.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 172

terryf

PITH pens for PTownSubbie

Well Fred has admitted to peaking at his PITH pen so, as I'm late, I thought I'd put a pic up of all three I made for Fred.

Heres a pic of the trio -

The top is an Electra with a red/white/blue acrylic, in the middle is a satin copper Sierra in cappuccino (if memory serves) and at the bottom is a Carbara with a custom US stamp/resin blank.

The stamp blank was the original PITH pen but after my blank blow up dilemma I had to change tactics a bit. In the end it didnt come out too badly and I hope Fred enjoys it as much as I did making it.

This has been a hell of a learning experience for me and I'm very grateful for the opportunity :biggrin:

Attachments

• CRW_0054.jpg
    CRW_0054.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 181

terryf

The anticipation is killing me :biggrin:

I posted these a while back in the PITH Photos folder because Terryf had not received the pen. Well, he received one of his packages so the actual pen shouldn't be far behind.

Here it is. A Jr. Gent Black Titanium fountain pen replication of the South African flag.

It pushed my segmenting skill further than any other pen I have made to date.

I hope he likes it!!

Mark75

PITH 2010 Pen from Cygnet to Mark75

This beautiful segmented pen is made from African Blackwood and Spalted Ironwood. This picture does not show the real beauty of the workmanship. As you roll the pen, the segments look like Zebra stripes. This pen was made by Cygnet from South Africa. Very nice blend of the two countries, South Africa to United States. Thanks Michael for being a great PITH partner, the pen and the blanks. Also, thanks for being partners with two PITH members and allowing me to stay in the game. :)

Jim Smith

There is no way my photography can begin to do justice to the pen that Mick sent me for the PITH swap this year. The fit is perfect and the finish is flawless. Thank you Mick for sharing your talent with me in this pen swap.

007-1.jpg

Jim Smith

simomatra

My PITH has arrived and I am very pleased, not only did Michael make one pen but he also included a second. One a cigar made of myrtle form Oregon and the second one a extremely well made segmented pen in red /white and blue. He has also included some very nice blanks 99% of which i have never seen in the flesh before.

The first picture is my booty, thank you Michael and the second one is what I sent him less the box and blanks which I did not photograph before i sent but Michael has already posted.

IMG_0773.jpg

P1030918.jpg

Once again thank you Michael and Mike Broberg for running the event

Rum Pig

I received my pith last week but I have been slack and not taken photos till now.
My swap buddy was Stolicky and we both agreed on swapping two pens one with the flag theme.
The cigar pen was made from Desert Iron Wood witch is fantastic and I have always wondered how it would compare to the Iron wood in Oz and I must say it is pretty bloody good. There was a truck load of blanks including cactus which i have wanted to try for some time now.
There was also Flaming Box Elder, Lots of Maple, Whit Oak and more.
I wish to thank Stolicky for his generosity and loverly pens which are now in my personal collection.
I have enjoyed this swap and hope so has my partner.
793.jpg

794.jpg

795.jpg

796.jpg

Last edited:

bitshird

I think my PITH partner has been a bit busy so I took it upon my own self to post a couple pictures of the mess I sent to him, it's just a TI Retro roller ball from Aaron at LauLau woods, dressed on some Afzelia Burl I've had laying in the junk bin for some while, and since there was a chunk left over after making the pen, I made a finial button with that, I hope Johnkofi likes this mess and I can't wait to see what I get, he said he brought the wood back from a recent trip to Africa.

Attachments

• Afzelia-Retro.jpg
    Afzelia-Retro.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Afzelia-retro-2.jpg
    Afzelia-retro-2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 145

patsikes

PITH from Douglas Freehan

I received my PITH trade in the mail yesterday. Absolutely beautiful Jr Gent rollerball with a segmented (maple and mahogany I think) blank.

Awesome work Douglas!

1_Imgp5262.jpg

1_Imgp5265.jpg

altaciii

I have made pens from many different types of alternate materials. From antler to sewer pipe, from worthless wood aluminite to tru-stone but never has a material kicked my a*# like the ebonite bowling ball blank called night sky. Don't get me wrong, it turned well enough but for the life of me I couldn't get the damn thing to polish up like I wanted. This was supposed to be my PITH pen to my Aussie partner Gerry Harp (Gezawa on the IAP). I had my friend William Lee use his cue master engraving machine do the Southern Cross to complete the pen but he also used a jeweler loop to see what was causing the scratches that kept coming out. Turns out the glitter was loosing itself with every turn of the lathe. He suggested I use ca glue to finish the pen and it worked still can see a few that I just couldn't run out. Anyway, the idea was to give Gerry a pen that showed the national emblem against a starry night sky. I also sent him some great examples of some great Texas woods that I had courtesy of Curtis Seebeck.

Attachments

• starry night .JPG
    starry night .JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 178
  • starry night in austrailia.JPG
    starry night in austrailia.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 197

BigShed

Following up on my original PITH 2010 post here

Peter (aggromere) sent me the original gold end part from the Cambridge kit and it arrived a week or so ago.

I shortened the broken bottom barrel back to the tube with my sander mill (couldn't have used a pen mill here
no.gif
very thin indeed) and installed the original gold end part.

There are still a few minor cracks there but nothing like it was when it arrived.

I prefer the look of the gold end over the red custom end and it is a very spiffy and imaginative pen

glycerine

PITH 2010

I'm a little late with mine. Sent this to Nichelle earlier in the week and she received it today. So here are some pics finally. Blue and red dyed BEB and holly... Oh and apprentice jr. gent in chrome.

LarryDNJR

My package showed up in the mail today, a few days earlier than expected. I love it when the post office actually does their job right.

LarryDNJR already posted pictures of all the extras he sent but seems like a whole lot more when it is on the work bench. I will have lots of work to make use of all the supplies he sent.

The pen he made looks great, he stuck to Mike's flag theme and did a great herringbone design out of acrylics. I had the pen out of the case for about 10 seconds when my wife tried to claim it as one of hers. My picture taking skills just don't do the pen justice at all.

392044709.jpg

You did a great job on the pen Larry, thanks for being my swap partner.

Bruce

Just thought I'd post some of the process in making this pen.

Larry

Attachments

• Gofer PITH 360 Herringbone Arcylic Process.jpg
    Gofer PITH 360 Herringbone Arcylic Process.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 190
Top Bottom