Pith 2009 photos go here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

Pith pen

Hey Everyone,
I received my PITH PEN from BruceK, Bruce Kauffman, and it is a beauty. It is a longwood clicker with a beautiful green acrylic blank. I absolutely love it. I will try to post a pic later, or Bruce if you have one go ahead and post it. For whoever covered mine this time, please let me know, so that i can send you something. My world has been turned upside down for the past month, due to the loss of my dad. He was my best friend and we were very close. I did manamge to get in the shop for a couple of days and get some christmas gifts done. I really appreciate the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful site. You all are so great. So again to whom covered my swap please let me know. I want to send you something for your troubles. I sure hope we can do this again.

Thanks again
Keith

seawolf

Recieved my pen from Jack Barnes along with a piece of buffalo horn that I am afraid to turn yet.
This is a great looking pen. Sorry about the low quality pic. All i have is a cell phone.
Mark

Attachments

• P122809110910.jpg
    P122809110910.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 203
  • P122809110754.jpg
    P122809110754.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 186

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I received my pith pen from BigguyZ a beautiful Sierra with a red and green layered polymer clay barrel he made himself. I received not only one pen but two however i have to get the other one back to post pictures of it. He promised to post on the making of the blank when he slows down and gets the time.

Attachments

• DSC_0386.jpg
    DSC_0386.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0388.jpg
    DSC_0388.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 192

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
With Bigguyz permission Im posting pics of the pen I sent him. Walnut burl with sterling silver parts, ruby in the clip and a diamond in the cap. Poly finish.

Attachments

• cropped pith pen.jpg
    cropped pith pen.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 187
  • pith pen 2.jpg
    pith pen 2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 169
  • pith pen 3.jpg
    pith pen 3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 171

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Well as Cav mentioned, he and I swapped for this event. He went a little more toward the x-mas theme than I did.(It isn't even PINK) I'm trying to decide between putting the pen on display or using the heck out of it. Thanks Cav. Sorry about the pic but it is the best I could come up with.

Attachments

• pith 2009 exchang 00001a.jpg
    pith 2009 exchang 00001a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

BruceK

Here is the PITH I received from Roy (Oklahoman) who filled in for Keith. Keith, I did not get any pictures of the pen I sent you. Roy sent me a Jr. Gent in Florentine Gold. It's quite a stunning pen. Thanks to everyone involved with this years PITH, it was a lot of fun.

Attachments

• PITH 2009.jpg
    PITH 2009.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 196

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is the PITH I received from Roy (Oklahoman) who filled in for Keith. Keith, I did not get any pictures of the pen I sent you. Roy sent me a Jr. Gent in Florentine Gold. It's quite a stunning pen. Thanks to everyone involved with this years PITH, it was a lot of fun.
Well I was not sure if Roy wanted the public praise he deserves, so I had not posted previously about this. Now that it has become public, I want to give out a big Thank YOU!!! Within minutes of hearing about Keith's family, he contacted me offering to handle Keith's part of the exchange and making sure that Keith received his pen, Roy made sure to work that out with Keith's partner. Roy, it is people like you that make this place what it is and part of why I spend so darn much time on here. Thanks again,

Landon

bgibb42

It's taken a while to get this up, what with the new baby and all, but here is the pen I got (along with some extra "packing material" :biggrin:) from MarkHix. Not sure what the blank is, but it's a beautiful red color with some nice segmenting. Forgive the photo, I'm not much of a photographer, and my "photo tent" is really a lampshade with flashlight on the other side.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCN0312.jpg
    DSCN0312.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 229

darcisowers

darci_PITH.jpg
here's my pen, received yesterday, from foamcapt40. It's very pretty...is it corian?

Thanks for the opportunity, and special thanks to Landon for heading it up. it was a lot of fun.

:biggrin:
Darci

atsowers

Here's a wonderful PITH pen i recieved from RichB prior to the holidays:

Andy_PITH.jpg

Things things were too hectic around the house to get the photo up until now (sorry Rich!). My folks left yesterday, and now things are starting to return to "normal" (whatever that means).

The wood is madrone and the segmentation is maple. The finish on this pen is SUPERB. Rich you did a great job tackling some unfriendly (but beautiful) wood!

Thanks again!
Andy

rjwolfe3

Here are the pens my wife received from durocshark. She wanted to post them herself but is having problems with her computer. He sent not one but two awesome pens. One had engraved metal around it with Santa and a Christmas tree. He also sent two blanks that she is dying to try out.

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• 032alcrs - Copy.JPG
    032alcrs - Copy.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,813

Scotty

Pen from Manny

Sorry I have taken so long to get a pic made. My pen from Manny arrived before Christmas, along with some very nice blanks. The pen is a gold titanium long click dressed up with koa, buckeye burl and acrylic from EB. The pic is not so great, but the pen surely is. A new years resolution is to work on taking pictures. Thanks Manny and everyone here. I have nothing but good things to say about IAP!

Attachments

• DSC_0131.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 215

juteck

Here's the PITH pen I sent to Pat Ankrom - thanks to the weather and the Holiday rush, it took a little longer for the USPS to deliver, but it finally made it on Christmas eve. This was my first closed end made out of curly poplar, fitted with a Heritance® semi-flex steel nib on a Sedona.

1_1st_closed_end_fountain_-_poplar.jpg

jack barnes

Here is the Pen I received from Mark. He also sent a snake wood blank which I'll wait until I get the nerve up to turn it Thank you Mark

Attachments

• qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq 004.jpg
    qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq 004.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 201

ken69912001

My swap partner (hehndc) wanted me to post a pic of the pen I sent him. Its a two tone chrome Sierra with serpent rod.

Attachments

• DSC04817.JPG
    DSC04817.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC04814.JPG
    DSC04814.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 174

danroggensee

PITH Exchange.

Here is the one my partner sent me got it today. And the Sierra is the one i sent him. I put the wrong pic of the one i sent him now it ie the right one.

Dannie

Attachments

• MY PITH Pen.jpg
    MY PITH Pen.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 170
  • iap trade pen.jpg
    iap trade pen.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

foamcapt40

Here my pen from darcisowers. A beautiful red and green segmented sierra. the photos don't do it justice! Thanks for letting me participate in my first PITH- Hope to do it again.:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0023_1024.jpg
    IMG_0023_1024.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 224

Manny

Sorry I have taken so long to get a pic made. My pen from Manny arrived before Christmas, along with some very nice blanks. The pen is a gold titanium long click dressed up with koa, buckeye burl and acrylic from EB. The pic is not so great, but the pen surely is. A new years resolution is to work on taking pictures. Thanks Manny and everyone here. I have nothing but good things to say about IAP!

Scotty,

I hope she is holding up for you. I use mine daily and the pen still looks great.

Thanks again.

Manny

foamcapt40

Darci-

Yes it is corian. This was my second attempt at it. I glued the pieces with medium CA and clamped the whole thing very tightly until I got some oozing of the CA. It's a bit hard on the tools to turn but it finishes great! mm'D TO 12,000 and then polish with Hut's plastic polish or Meguir's Plastx. Thanks for the nice words:)

Winchester, Hampshire. SO22 5LB, United Kingdom.
I was teamed with Kirk Franks and our pens have just been exchanged.
As a favour Kirk asked if I could submit the photos, so here goes.
The first is the pen I sent to Kirk. It is a 180 herringbone from stabilised BEB and on an Elegant Beauty kit.
The second picture is the pen from Kirk to me.
It is polymer clay with a Christmas tree on the main barrel. The blue colouring is very vibrant. What a great pen!!!!:biggrin:
Kirk also very kindly sent another pen. This one is his own resin cast and on a copper Cigar kit. Another beauty.:cool:
This is my second time on the pith exchange - roll on the next.
Ian

Attachments

• pith pens 004.jpg
    pith pens 004.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 194
  • pith pens 003.jpg
    pith pens 003.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 199
  • Herringbone on Elegant Beauty.jpg
    Herringbone on Elegant Beauty.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 191
PITH - Gentleman

My pen finally arrived, mailed Dec. 10, trapped in some warehouse somewhere for a month. The wait was well worth it.
My partner Jim (1TJTurner) was the true gentleman. He received the pen I sent well before Christmas and refused to open it until I received his package. My hats off to you Jim. You are far more patient than I.
The pen is a Jr. Gent dressed in a beautiful Amboyna Burl. The finish is flawless. A great job all round. If that was not enough he included 5 blanks, 2 maple burl, 2 BOW, and one Aztec lamination, not to mention a great pen box.
Thanks Jim! I love em' all.

1_2009_PITH_Gent_1.jpg

1_2009_PITH_Gent_2.jpg

Oops, I see I forgot to put the BOW blanks in the shot. Trust me they were in the package.

B727phixer

I received the most beautiful pen from my PITH partner, Larry AKA Larry in Harrow.
Please look at the photos posted in the 2009 pith album his potography skills are far better than mine:redface: and are only exceeded by his turning skills. :biggrin:The pen is awesome. some of the particulars are:
This pen is turned from Holly and decorated with end segments of green and red Birch and Maple with blood wood were also used for the celtic knots. All 22 pieces were inlaid by hand No laser involved. the finish is Target Oxford superclear 6 coats buffed out on a Beall system mounted on a Rodium & 22K Gold Junior Gent Rollerball. Please take time to look at the pictures you will not have wasted your time! Thanks again Larry that pen will always be close to me! (I don't want my kids to take it, they love it too!)
http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=11916
I almost forgot included with this beautiful pen was "Packing material" of 4 beautiful spalted crabapple tree blanks lots of color and figure...nicest packing material I have ever seen!:biggrin:

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I received the most beautiful pen from my PITH partner, Larry AKA Larry in Harrow.
Please look at the photos posted in the 2009 pith album his potography skills are far better than mine:redface: and are only exceeded by his turning skills. :biggrin:The pen is awesome. some of the particulars are:
This pen is turned from Holly and decorated with end segments of green and red Birch and Maple with blood wood were also used for the celtic knots. All 22 pieces were inlaid by hand No laser involved. the finish is Target Oxford superclear 6 coats buffed out on a Beall system mounted on a Rodium & 22K Gold Junior Gent Rollerball. Please take time to look at the pictures you will not have wasted your time! Thanks again Larry that pen will always be close to me! (I don't want my kids to take it, they love it too!)
I almost forgot included with this beautiful pen was "Packing material" of 4 beautiful spalted crabapple tree blanks lots of color and figure...nicest packing material I have ever seen!:biggrin:

WoW, that is a piece of art!!!

papaturner

If this was a contest you`d win. Awesome pen!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I finally found a picture of the pen I made for and sent to Dion (dntrost.) This was one of my first Sculpey Pens.

Attachments

• Christmas Ribbons Pen.jpg
    Christmas Ribbons Pen.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 231

jskeen

ok, finally got a pic or two of the Pen Michael sent me in the swap. A very nice Segmented El Grande FP in Ebony and Burl. Already gone to the top of my daily writer que :) Thanks Michael. I posted a pic of the Antler and Texas Ebony Jr Gent I sent him already, here's a link.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55715

Great fun, cant wait till the next one!

Attachments

• el grande.jpg
    el grande.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 210
  • el grande2.jpg
    el grande2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 188
  • jr gent.jpg
    jr gent.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

altaciii

This is the PITH pen I created for Ken Vaughn. He asked that I post pics of both when he was done and I recieved his. Good things really come to those who wait. This is a Jr Gent dressed in Holly with inlays of aluminum, paduka, and a band of green pr. Very simple when you see the great effort he gave back. I got home late from work tonite and will take pics of his pen to me and post them tomorrow.

Attachments

• pith 2009 for ken vaughn.jpg
    pith 2009 for ken vaughn.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 177
  • pith pen for ken vaughn 2.jpg
    pith pen for ken vaughn 2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 170
  • pith pen for ken vaughn 3.jpg
    pith pen for ken vaughn 3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 160

altaciii

My second pith partner, Paul Sherman, surprised me with probably the largest pen I have ever seen. An operable casing pen that came in a huge box. The wood used is oak (probably red but not sure). It takes nearly 2 board feet of it to make the blank and then about 90% is cut away or turned off. The tip is hand-made on a wood lathe from a steel bolt. About 2 oz of CA was used in finishing. The red and green lines are glass beads. Twisting (double) will extend and retract the ink refill. Pulling the bullet top off will allow for replacing the refill. I really don't envy the time and work it took to "make my day".

It will hold a special place in my man cave and make a great conversation piece. I told him that I would post pics of both of our pens. Unfortunately, his didn't fit in the photo box. Sorry about the pics, Paul. I placed a Jr Statesman next to it for comparison.

Attachments

• DSC08187.jpg
    DSC08187.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC08189.jpg
    DSC08189.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

altaciii

oops, I pressed enter to soon. My pith to Paul. Jr Gent ww with green alumilite and Jerusalem Olive wood. I placed a red acrylic band across the top to comply with the color theme.

Attachments

• pshermanpith4.jpg
    pshermanpith4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 154
  • pshermanpith1.jpg
    pshermanpith1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 148
  • pshermanpith3.jpg
    pshermanpith3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 169

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
We finally got our Pith 2009 together

attachment.jpg

Woowee! I made out like a bandit on this swap! It's my 1st FP ever. Jason told me what the pen kit was last evening when we spoke. I didn't write it down, so consequently I have no idea. I know the wood showing is Amboyna, with an acrylic. He'll have to describe it better.

attachment.jpg

He also added a couple of worthless wood casts and a half dozen gorgeous black cherry burl blanks.

Thanks so much again, Jason! I'll try to do better next year to my next swapper.

Attachments

• 1028A - From babyblues (Jason Cohn). IAP PITH 2009 (Small).jpg
    1028A - From babyblues (Jason Cohn). IAP PITH 2009 (Small).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 279
  • 1028B (Small).jpg
    1028B (Small).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 274

DennisM

Well kicking a dead horse here, but cant turn new ones and Just realized that creativewriting asked me to post a pic of the pen I sent him so here it is...

Attachments

• HPIM0465.jpg
    HPIM0465.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 156
Top Bottom