PHOTOS HERE ...Pre-BASH PITH (Jan 2017) WARNING - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > IAP Management Team > Activities Manager
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Activities Manager Mike Redburn is the IAP Activities Manager

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

mbroberg Mike sent me an awesome segmented chrome clicker, Love this pen! Awesome segmenting and perfectly turned, I believe it is Padauk.

The blanks he sent were great as well including a couple of alumilite swirls, dyed spalted maple and one I think may be ebonite (closest to the pen)

Mike great swapping with you. All I have to do is finish and assemble yours, should have it in the mail Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Old 01-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Photos: 131

Glad you approve Warren. I had a much more elaborate segmentation in mind but the darn things (yes, plural) didn't want to cooperate. I need more practice and since time was marching on I had to settle for something simpler.

I have no idea what that one brownish blank is but I don't think it is ebonite. I thought it was just some sort of composite material. Should make an interesting pen.
Comfort Inn & Suites
5 Park Center Drive
Wadsworth, OH
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mbroberg is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

img_3687.jpgimg_3688.jpg

Got this great pen and blanks from Brian Frank. Thanks for the beautiful acrylic pen and blanks. I have not turned acrylics yet and look forward to using these blanks.
bedangerous is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2017, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedangerous View Post
Attachment 159224Attachment 159225

Got this great pen and blanks from Brian Frank. Thanks for the beautiful acrylic pen and blanks. I have not turned acrylics yet and look forward to using these blanks.
Glad you liked the Pen and the blanks. The Apricot blank is a from a tree my brother in-law planted 25 years ago. He cut it down 2 years ago. Luckily for me I was there a few days after he cut it down. I rescued some of it and used my toaster oven to dry the blanks. I had a pen turned a few days later. I gave the pen to my brother in-law. Here is a pic of that pen.
Attached Thumbnails
img_4747.jpg  
Brian Frank is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-30-2017, 12:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

Here are the blanks and the 23rd pen turned by be dangerous. Great job on the pen. I like the finish. I always finish mine with a high gloss. This pen has me thinking about other finishes I will have to try.

Thank You Mitch for the swap.
Attached Thumbnails
img_1862.jpg   img_1866.jpg  
Brian Frank is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Default PITH

Got my swap from Cwalker935 and hit the lottery. Two beautiful pens and cast blanks one of which is Star Wars. Reclaimed American Chestnut and another that has pine cones (?) inside. One pen has a USPS stamp inside and the other is a very well done segmented pen. Thanks Cody, you outdid yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
swapfullsizerender.jpg  
tomtedesco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtedesco View Post
Got my swap from Cwalker935 and hit the lottery. Two beautiful pens and cast blanks one of which is Star Wars. Reclaimed American Chestnut and another that has pine cones (?) inside. One pen has a USPS stamp inside and the other is a very well done segmented pen. Thanks Cody, you outdid yourself.
The embedded objects in the cast blank are sweet gum balls. The segmented pen is a modified slimline. Glad you like them! You're welcome.
Cwalker935 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 219

Default Pen from Bikerdad

I received my Cigar pen from John today. Just as I requested. No blanks or anything else. Just a pen. John says this is the second pen of this style, he has ever made. I couldn't be more pleased with this pen. Check out the fit and finish on this instrument.

Yes sir! You did good John. Thank you so much. Feel free to chime in here with your finishing steps, if you care to.
Attached Thumbnails
swap-pen-006.jpg   swap-pen-007.jpg  
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Frank View Post
Glad you liked the Pen and the blanks. The Apricot blank is a from a tree my brother in-law planted 25 years ago. He cut it down 2 years ago. Luckily for me I was there a few days after he cut it down. I rescued some of it and used my toaster oven to dry the blanks. I had a pen turned a few days later. I gave the pen to my brother in-law. Here is a pic of that pen.
I've done a few Apricot pens, it's a great wood for a BLO involved finish. One of my very favorite pens is a Biscayne in Apricot, where I drilled across the sapwood/heartwood transition at a bias. BeDangerous is a fortunate fellow to get some Apricot.
Bikerdad is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecamino View Post
I received my Cigar pen from John today. Just as I requested. No blanks or anything else. Just a pen. John says this is the second pen of this style, he has ever made. I couldn't be more pleased with this pen. Check out the fit and finish on this instrument.

Yes sir! You did good John. Thank you so much. Feel free to chime in here with your finishing steps, if you care to.
The kit is a Hybrid Cigar from Woodcraft, the blank is an Italian Acrylic, "cirrus" IIRC. Turned 'em, started wetsanding with 500g Abranet, then wetsanded up through the Micro-Mesh grits to 12k. Stopping the lathe on each grit, hand sanding laterally then wiping the blank clean with a tearoff of wet blue paper towel. After 12k I used a polish, can't remember which off hand, but it was neither Mequiars nor Novus.
Bikerdad is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads