PHOTOS HERE ...Pre-BASH PITH (Jan 2017) WARNING

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

WARNING.....WARNING

This is the posting for the Pre-BASH PITH Photos
If the pen you are swapping is to be entered into the bash next month......DO NOT post a photo here.

IF the pen is just to be traded....then here is the place to show it.

We all look forward to seeing those pens!
Seeing what 'goodies' are included.
Bragging on the partners skills and generosity is encouraged.
Seeing those things that are being traded that are different is a way to open everyone's mind to new ideas.

So let the show begin.
:biggrin::eek::biggrin:​

Cwalker935

I received my PITH package from Tom (tomtedesco) today and he really came through with a beautifully turned and finished Burl on a rollerball and a bunch of great blanks. He was not sure of the type of wood Thank you Tom, you made my day.

IMG_1953.jpg

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Here's a quick idea that should be fun......:biggrin:

My partner Todd and I have already posted each others pens and each of us included a carefully rolled up local newspaper around our swaps and stuff.
Dual purpose padding..:biggrin:

Just for fun to see how the other half live.... :wink:

Why don't you do the same if you live several states or countries apart?:wink:

jttheclockman

Here's a quick idea that should be fun......:biggrin:

My partner Todd and I have already posted each others pens and each of us included a carefully rolled up local newspaper around our swaps and stuff.
Dual purpose padding..:biggrin:

Just for fun to see how the other half live.... :wink:

Why don't you do the same if you live several states or countries apart?:wink:

How many people still get a newspaper:eek::eek::eek:

Drewboy22

Here is what Robert sent me :biggrin:

IMG_1563_zpswvoptitf.jpg

The Pen is a Beautiful Navigator made with Pheasant wood and a Clever little maple wave. All of the blanks are from Hawaii. The package even came with a small game :). To figure out the "wave" before I see the blank. Now, I am always down for a good puzzle, so what the heck. At first I tried to over complicate it by trying to figure out how cut a circular wave in a blank (don't see that working :redface:). Hmmm, made me think there was something else to it. Then I started looking at it from a "square" point of view and it dawned on me, instead of a straight insert to create a "ring" the insert is bent back up giving the appearance of a wave once the blank is turned. Am I right Robert?

Anyway, thanks again Robert for the package, I was blown away!

Aloha my friend,

Drew

MrPukaShell

You got it buddy. Using the "John Beaver" technique on the way he puts a wave in a bowl just on a smaller scale. This was a fun swap as always & glad that you liked the stuff.

Here is what Robert sent me :biggrin:

IMG_1563_zpswvoptitf.jpg

The Pen is a Beautiful Navigator made with Pheasant wood and a Clever little maple wave. All of the blanks are from Hawaii. The package even came with a small game :). To figure out the "wave" before I see the blank. Now, I am always down for a good puzzle, so what the heck. At first I tried to over complicate it by trying to figure out how cut a circular wave in a blank (don't see that working :redface:). Hmmm, made me think there was something else to it. Then I started looking at it from a "square" point of view and it dawned on me, instead of a straight insert to create a "ring" the insert is bent back up giving the appearance of a wave once the blank is turned. Am I right Robert?

Anyway, thanks again Robert for the package, I was blown away!

Aloha my friend,

Drew

southernclay

6673ddcd8b0df622a9756836f77c6ba7.jpg
d8ebefa5682f7514b8e6c0caee68ba1d.jpg

mbroberg Mike sent me an awesome segmented chrome clicker, Love this pen! Awesome segmenting and perfectly turned, I believe it is Padauk.

The blanks he sent were great as well including a couple of alumilite swirls, dyed spalted maple and one I think may be ebonite (closest to the pen)

Mike great swapping with you. All I have to do is finish and assemble yours, should have it in the mail Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Glad you approve Warren. I had a much more elaborate segmentation in mind but the darn things (yes, plural) didn't want to cooperate. I need more practice and since time was marching on I had to settle for something simpler.

I have no idea what that one brownish blank is but I don't think it is ebonite. I thought it was just some sort of composite material. Should make an interesting pen.

Brian Frank

View attachment 159224View attachment 159225

Got this great pen and blanks from Brian Frank. Thanks for the beautiful acrylic pen and blanks. I have not turned acrylics yet and look forward to using these blanks.

Glad you liked the Pen and the blanks. The Apricot blank is a from a tree my brother in-law planted 25 years ago. He cut it down 2 years ago. Luckily for me I was there a few days after he cut it down. I rescued some of it and used my toaster oven to dry the blanks. I had a pen turned a few days later. I gave the pen to my brother in-law. Here is a pic of that pen.

Attachments

• IMG_4747.jpg
    IMG_4747.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 189

tomtedesco

PITH

Got my swap from Cwalker935 and hit the lottery. Two beautiful pens and cast blanks one of which is Star Wars. Reclaimed American Chestnut and another that has pine cones (?) inside. One pen has a USPS stamp inside and the other is a very well done segmented pen. Thanks Cody, you outdid yourself.

Attachments

• swapFullSizeRender.jpg
    swapFullSizeRender.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 234

Cwalker935

Got my swap from Cwalker935 and hit the lottery. Two beautiful pens and cast blanks one of which is Star Wars. Reclaimed American Chestnut and another that has pine cones (?) inside. One pen has a USPS stamp inside and the other is a very well done segmented pen. Thanks Cody, you outdid yourself.

The embedded objects in the cast blank are sweet gum balls. The segmented pen is a modified slimline. Glad you like them! You're welcome.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Pen from Bikerdad

I received my Cigar pen from John today. Just as I requested. No blanks or anything else. Just a pen. :wink: John says this is the second pen of this style, he has ever made. I couldn't be more pleased with this pen. Check out the fit and finish on this instrument. :wink:

Yes sir! You did good John. Thank you so much. Feel free to chime in here with your finishing steps, if you care to.

Attachments

• swap pen 006.jpg
    swap pen 006.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 176
  • swap pen 007.jpg
    swap pen 007.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 175

Bikerdad

Glad you liked the Pen and the blanks. The Apricot blank is a from a tree my brother in-law planted 25 years ago. He cut it down 2 years ago. Luckily for me I was there a few days after he cut it down. I rescued some of it and used my toaster oven to dry the blanks. I had a pen turned a few days later. I gave the pen to my brother in-law. Here is a pic of that pen.

I've done a few Apricot pens, it's a great wood for a BLO involved finish. One of my very favorite pens is a Biscayne in Apricot, where I drilled across the sapwood/heartwood transition at a bias. BeDangerous is a fortunate fellow to get some Apricot.

Bikerdad

I received my Cigar pen from John today. Just as I requested. No blanks or anything else. Just a pen. :wink: John says this is the second pen of this style, he has ever made. I couldn't be more pleased with this pen. Check out the fit and finish on this instrument. :wink:

Yes sir! You did good John. Thank you so much. Feel free to chime in here with your finishing steps, if you care to.

The kit is a Hybrid Cigar from Woodcraft, the blank is an Italian Acrylic, "cirrus" IIRC. Turned 'em, started wetsanding with 500g Abranet, then wetsanded up through the Micro-Mesh grits to 12k. Stopping the lathe on each grit, hand sanding laterally then wiping the blank clean with a tearoff of wet blue paper towel. After 12k I used a polish, can't remember which off hand, but it was neither Mequiars nor Novus.

TonyL

PITH Gifts from Stonepecker

Made a great friend (Wayne). He kindly sent me the attached pen and blanks. It's a special feeling when someone makes a pen for you. I made so many for others...I never knew what it felt like until today. Thank you Wayne!
PS. This was my first PITH...I will be doing it again next year.:)

Attachments

• Wayne.jpg
    Wayne.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 259

TonyL

This is what I sent Stonepecker (Wayne). He asked me to help him post the photos. The blue one is a Citizen with a Mark Dietrik cone blank with a CA finish. The second "bonus" pen was a engraved spectraply with a Solarez finish. I also threw in a stick of LarryC's dymonwood (not shown).

Sadly..this what my photos look like when I actually try to take a good picture. Well, at least you know I didn't touch them up LOL.

Attachments

• PITH1.jpg
    PITH1.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 178
  • PITH2.jpg
    PITH2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 242
  • PITH3.jpg
    PITH3.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The Eagles Have Landed

After making the long flight from Georgia to Ohio, this beautiful Eagle Blank on this Eagle kit are sitting proudly on my desk! Warren's (southernclay) craftsmanship is perfect! I definitely got the better end of this PITH. I also received a great selection of blanks from, Warren. I appreciate them all but especially like the Buckeye Burl, Cocobolo and Tulipwood. Thank you Warren! :biggrin:

Attachments

• 2017_02_04_0313.JPG
    2017_02_04_0313.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 2017_02_04_0314.JPG
    2017_02_04_0314.JPG
    428 KB · Views: 238
  • 2017_02_04_0312.jpg
    2017_02_04_0312.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 2017_02_04_0310.JPG
    2017_02_04_0310.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 2017_02_04_0311.JPG
    2017_02_04_0311.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 226

stonepecker

Sorry I am so late here but LIFE has a way of kicking you at times.

I want to say THANK YOU to TonyL. One pen in a PITH is fantastic.....receiving two great pens just made it so special.
For a first time Pith player.......Tony was great!

If you do swap with Tony........you will never be disappointed.
Thank you everyone who joined this PITH.

TonyL

Thank you Wayne. Your pen and blanks are sitting proudly on my desk (where I sit for about 10 hours a dat :) ).

MrPukaShell

Sorry for the late posting but life has been getting in the way. Received my package and could have not been happier, "Dreyboy22" really came through on this one. Received and nice Cigar wrapped in the Texas State Flag. Of coarse it was not alone with the extras providing me hours of turning fun. Thanks Drew got one to add to the collection.

The "PITH" exchange was awesome as usual and I can't thank the people involved enough. Thats to all that made this a success.

Attachments

• DSC_0157.jpg
    DSC_0157.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 200

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
We're all done.

My swap partner Todd ( Penmaker1967) and I have now both received our pens.:biggrin: Todd asked me to post pics of both.:wink:
From Todd to me is a perfectly made Elegant Beauty with curly maple. A great match for the pen finish. Todd also sent me a bunch of very nice blanks including Cocobolo, Olivewood, Pecan and a Spalted Elm.
I sent Todd a pen with White PR with copper inlays and bits. I also sent a couple cast shredded ÂŁ5 blanks which I made recently.
I hope Todd ( or his wife :wink: ) likes his pen as much as much as I like the one he sent to me.
Thanks Todd.:biggrin:

Attachments

• To Todd.JPG
    To Todd.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 219
  • From Todd.JPG
    From Todd.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 211

dthayer

Thanks hippi!! I'm glad you like it!

hippi gave me TWO! beautifully segmented pens. The one on the right seems to be a Slimline Plus kit and I'm not sure what the other is but they are both awesome! He also sent a cool Longanberry blank.

Thanks much, hippi!!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20170208_180331.jpg
    IMG_20170208_180331.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

elkhorn

PITH Pen Received!

Well, I received my PITH pen (I guess that's really redundant:)) from rbstallings today. It is a beautiful cigar pen dressed in Amboyna Burl and finished with Myland's. Robert also included 5 very nice blanks: 2 claro walnut, 1 American holly, 1 zebra wood and 1 goncalo alves.

I'm already looking forward to the next PITH!

Attachments

• PITH 2017.jpg
    PITH 2017.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 128

hippi

aloha
that is a franklin kit from woodcraft

Thanks hippi!! I'm glad you like it!

hippi gave me TWO! beautifully segmented pens. The one on the right seems to be a Slimline Plus kit and I'm not sure what the other is but they are both awesome! He also sent a cool Longanberry blank.

Thanks much, hippi!!!

attachment.php

Mr Vic

Received my PITH from "danom" yesterday. We were running behind but stayed in contact so no problem. Won't swear to the type pen but it's an awesome fountain pen dressed in Black Mother of Pearl . I dipped the nib in some Private Reserve Black Velvet and it wrote very smooth. Dave said he didn't do any tuning on the nib. Yup it's the kit nib and write great.

Picture's don't do justice to the pen. Got to really see it in the light. He also sent along a nice stash of blanks. Looking forward to doing something special with a bankasia cast blank he passed along from "George".

Thanks again Dave!!!

Attachments

• PreBash Pith2017-01_2.jpg
    PreBash Pith2017-01_2.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 122
  • PreBash Pith2017-02_1.jpg
    PreBash Pith2017-02_1.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 131

danom

Well finally, Never give up a sinking ship!!!
With some extenuating circumstances in my family, I was put behind in this pith. My apologies to Vic, but here we are finally!
Received package from Vic on Feb. 11, and found this lovely pen and some blanks for my stash. thks Vic
It is a Glacia ball point, which uses a parker style refill and the wood body is a Flaming Box Elder finished with a sandy sealer and Renaissance Wax. Looks a lot better in real than my crappy photo taking. Must work on that one day.
Also some wonderful blanks and some UHMW material for bushings.
Many thks Vic.
thks for your patience
Also to every one on the forum, yep we were behind, but we didn't give up

Dave

Attachments

• 369.jpg
    369.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 373.jpg
    373.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 114

Rounder

Received my PITH package today from JSolie. Wow. Beautiful stuff. Not sure what pen kits they are but I think they are from the Gorgeous group in the style of Magnificent. The spalted pen has great chatoyance and seems to move as you turn it. He sent some great blanks also. Looking forward to making some pens from them, especially from the 2 burls he sent. Thanks jsolie and again what a great way to see other peoples work. I love these PITH's. Please forgive the poor photography. Couldn't wait to show them off and these are IPhone pic taken while home at lunch.

Attachments

• 2017-02-16 12.50.02.jpg
    2017-02-16 12.50.02.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 2017-02-16 12.50.20.jpg
    2017-02-16 12.50.20.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 2017-02-16 12.52.38.jpg
    2017-02-16 12.52.38.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 2017-02-16 12.52.57.jpg
    2017-02-16 12.52.57.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Jon,
I'm glad that you liked the pen. This was a fun PITH even though we managed to drag it out a little longer. The silver lining is that we got to know each other a little better. I received your awesome pen today & will post photos shortly.

What Jon didn't mention was the fact that I had a little problem while making his pen. I selected one of my best, premium quality BOW blanks for his pen. I tried to be really careful because sometimes these highly figured BOW blanks can be a little fussy. Well, I got the bottom barrel turned just fine then went to work on the top barrel. In spite of painstakingly taking light cuts, when I got down to final dimensions, a severe crack developed in the blank.

Although the blank could have been salvaged, I didn't want to use a repaired blank on this pen, so I searched through my entire stash of some 50+ BOW blanks trying to find one that matched the color of the bottom barrel & finally found one that was almost a perfect color match. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite as nicely figured as the first blank, but I used the best portion of the second blank to turn a top barrel and see how it would turn out. I was actually quite pleased with the way the two barrels matched up. I think that only an experienced pen turner would suspect that the two barrels did not come from the same piece of wood.

Here's a photo of the pen with the blanks that I sent to Jon. The one marked D.P. Wood is from the wood that I salvaged when our old store (Dohmann's Place) was torn down a couple of years ago.

Edgar

Attachments

• Pen & Blanks1.jpg
    Pen & Blanks1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 121

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
PITH Pen from Jontello

A package from Italy was waiting on my desk when I returned to work today after a long Easter break.

This is one of the most amazing pens that I've ever seen and it will occupy a place of honor in my collection. I can only imagine the hours of painstaking work that Jon put into this pen.

Jon likes to paint wooden blanks, but this was a new process for him. It's an imitation Urushi technique that some call "Japanning". He started by turning a normal wood blank past the bushings, then painting the blank. He started with black paint then worked his way up with over 10 layers of transparent paint. The bottom layers include Italian gold leaf which really shimmers as the light hits it. Each layer had to dry for at least a full day before applying the next layer of paint.

I presume that the final finish is CA, and even that had to be a tedious process. It is a flawless & extremely smooth finish. Anyone who wasn't aware of what went into this pen would think that it was simply a gold leaf casting.

Thanks so much Jon, there's no doubt that I got the better end of this PITH exchange. :)

Edgar

Attachments

• JonTello Pen3.jpg
    JonTello Pen3.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 117
  • JonTello Pen1.jpg
    JonTello Pen1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 125
  • JonTello Pen2.jpg
    JonTello Pen2.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 122
Top Bottom