Pass it Forward - BOX #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
It's Here!!!

Box #2 was delivered a short while ago.

Here's a couple of quick shots of the box & its contents. I sent out a SFRB and got back a LFRB full of great stuff. I'm overwhelmed!

I only did a quick rummage through the box, but I can see that there is quite a bit of stuff that is new to me - whoopee!

I'll post detailed photos & a full inventory of the box in a day or two. Tonight is adult game night at our church, so I probably won't get to it until tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone!
Edgar

Attachments

• Box2_Outside.jpg
    Box2_Outside.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Box2_Contents.jpg
    Box2_Contents.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 149
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet, but I have a comment & a question:

Thanks to whoever put the memo pad in the box. It seems that I'm always looking around my shop for a scrap of paper to jot notes on. I keep meaning to pick up a note pad, but always seem to forget it when I go to Wally World. This memo pad is going in the top drawer of my toolbox, under the workbench with my lathe.

There are a couple of nice pieces of wood in the box with a handwritten label "Timeless Timber". I'd like to know what kind of wood this is or where it came from or at least the meaning of the label.

Thanks - photos & more comments later.

Edgar

ttpenman

I added the Timeless Timber. It is underwater salvaged, old growth hardwoods, mostly from the Great Lakes and Canada. I worked for them for 10 years and was always digging through the scrap bins for wood for pens. Sorry, I don't remember what species I put in the box but I believe there was a piece of Walnut, and maybe some Birch or Oak. The wood tends to have quite tight grain and makes a fine pen. Maybe not as flashy as the exotics out there but I have made some real nice pens with it.

Right now the business is closed and not sure when/if is going to reopen.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I added the Timeless Timber. It is underwater salvaged, old growth hardwoods, mostly from the Great Lakes and Canada. I worked for them for 10 years and was always digging through the scrap bins for wood for pens. Sorry, I don't remember what species I put in the box but I believe there was a piece of Walnut, and maybe some Birch or Oak. The wood tends to have quite tight grain and makes a fine pen. Maybe not as flashy as the exotics out there but I have made some real nice pens with it.

Right now the business is closed and not sure when/if is going to reopen.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Thanks Jeff - that's awesome! I've been wanting some salvaged underwater wood and thought that this might be some. One piece does look like walnut. The other is lighter in color and very likely could be birch or oak - I'll look at it a little closer tonight when I shoot some photos. These go into my special stash for sure.

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What came back in Box #2

The 3 photos below show what was in the LFRB that I got back.

Photo#1 - Miscellaneous Items
A storage shelf kit for 2P-10 glue bottles - I definitely need that
A 2P10 Mini Kit - another keeper for sure
A Memo Pad - Wayne (Stonepecker) must have been thinking of me when he put this in - I need a memo pad in my shop
Other items in this photo - I'll keep some, but I haven't decided which ones yet:
2 CD ROM Spin Top Kits
2 Perfume Applicator Kits
1 Red acrylic pen blank
1 Black swirl acrylic stopper blank
1 Nice piece of antler - about 3/4" dia x 4"
1 Money clip
1 Piece of clear acrylic or plexiglass - about 4x4
1 Slimline cross clip - modified for use as a hidden clip
1 Super-X Shell Case
1 pkg with 5 shell cases
1 pkg with 10 beer caps
3 thin strips of laminating wood

Photo#2 Blanks & Wood
A good bit of the wood in this photo is new to me which is always a treat
1 Oak Spindle - 1.75x1.75x11
3 unidentified light color pen blanks
1 unidentified blank - 1x1x9 (possibly cherry?)
2 unidentified blanks - 7/8x7/8x7.25 (possibly ash?)
1 unidentified blank - 3/4x3/4x8 (nice figure, but I don't have a clue)
1 Staghorn Lilac pen blank
1 Walnut Base, ready to use - 7x7x3/4 (I have a project in mind for this)
1 Red acrylic pen blank
1 Black swirl acrylic stopper blank
1 nice piece of antler - about 3/4" dia x 4"
1 Gum Bully pen blank
1 Hickory pen blank
1 X-C Black Locust pen blank
1 Sassafrass pen blank
1 Manzanita pen blank
1 Plum branch - about 1.25" dia x 7.5"
1 Lilac branch - about 1.5" dia x 5.5"
1 Spalted River Birch pen blank - about 1x1x7 with some bark inclusion
2 pieces of Timeless Timber wood - probably walnut & birch -- Thanks Jeff (Ttpenman) - these are special and they really have nice figuring!

Photo#3 - Cedar & Walnut
I put the ERC & Walnut in a separate photo - most if not all of this came from Todd Webb (Penmaker1967). Todd & I were PITH buddies last year and he sent me some nice ERC & walnut along with the pen. When he got Box #2, he asked me if I had any requests so I told him that I would appreciate a few more of his ERC & walnut blanks if he had any to spare. He outdid himself with this fine selection -- Thanks Todd! If anyone else contributed some of this wood - thanks to you too! I really enjoy working with ERC.

Thanks to everyone for playing and for your contributions to this box. All of this is great stuff, but there is much more than I would be able to use in a reasonable amount of time, so some of it will find its way to IAP members in the form of BASH prizes.

Edgar

Attachments

• Box2-1.jpg
    Box2-1.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Box2-2.jpg
    Box2-2.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Box2-3.jpg
    Box2-3.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 143

Sataro

Wow !!! Time has flown by & left me behind. I've got so tied up with things around me, that I just realized that I have not posted a pic of anything that I had made with this box swap. So sorry but here goes anyway...

Princess pen with I'm assuming a big leaf maple blank that has been stabilized & dyed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 113
Top Bottom