Pass it Forward - BOX #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Both boxes are on the move and both are traveling from Virginia to Washington state. Box 1 is going from Sterling VA to Spokane WA and box 2 from Blacksburg, VA to Lacey WA. Both are on the 5th leg of the journey.
5-6-2014BOX1_zps16095fe8.jpg

mmyshrall

Box #1 arrived safe and sound. Now to ponder the contents and what I want to keep... :biggrin:

I will turn it around as quickly as I can.

Michael

Krash

Box #1 arrived safe and sound. Now to ponder the contents and what I want to keep... :biggrin:

I will turn it around as quickly as I can.

Michael

It looks like from that map that mmyshrall and I are pretty lonely guys. Not many pensters around us participating. Boo Hoo! :frown:

mmyshrall

Help or I will have no peace!

On a separate note, can whoever put the gold/purple acrylic blank in Box #1 please send me a PM on where it was obtained? SWMBO saw it and wants more of these.

Help, please?

Thanks,
Michael

toddlajoie

On a separate note, can whoever put the gold/purple acrylic blank in Box #1 please send me a PM on where it was obtained? SWMBO saw it and wants more of these.

Help, please?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael, do you mean the one on the far left in your photo?

116075d1400001977-pass-forward-box-1-dsc01677.jpg

If so, I'm pretty sure that is one of the standard acrylic acetate blanks you will find at Berea, Woodcraft, Exotics, etc. I'm not sure, but it sort of looks like AA-07 ( Pearlized swirls of bronze, violet and blue ).

mmyshrall

Thanks for the reply, Todd. Yes, the blank in question is the one on the far left.

I had to do some searching after following up on your suggestions and think that I have found the source of this one. It took awhile, but you helped get me started in the right direction; I just needed to massage Google a bit.

Michael

mmyshrall

Woohoo! I just got the text that Box #1 arrived at the Lowell, MI post office. Here's hoping you will get it today, John! When I get back from Tennessee next month, I will post pics of the pens I make from what I kept from the box! :biggrin:

Michael

John Smith

Just received " The Box". I will be pondering what to snatch, and what to refill it with. Will get it to the Post Office saturday morning. Well, at least the wife will, as I will be working.

keithbyrd

All right - it should be just around the corner! I'm waiting PATIENTLY!
Jeez -John - you could have driven it over here!

Last edited:

John Smith

I actually thought of driving it to you, but I've been so busy at work I just couldn't swing it. My wife nailed it for me this morning and said it should be delivered on Monday. Hope you like what's in it!

Box 1 has a real short trip this time, Lowell MI to Milford MI the last status was yesterday and it was processed through Allen Park MI so maybe it will still be delivered today....
5-19-2014Box1_zps0e846460.jpg

keithbyrd

The box is in the mail - supposed to be delivered Friday - tracking number 9114901189866366612803
I tried valiantly to repack it the way I got it but there was no getting by the postal inspector - they made me put it in the next bigger box - said something about abusing a flat rate envelope!
I just got back from a trip to Brazil and did part with a little something I brought back!
I tried to post a picture of what I took out but have been unsuccessful - what is the trick?

Last edited:

Hendu3270

Yep, and then it goes from California to Pearland, Texas and right back to California!! Some may argue that we are abusing the United States Postal Service. I say hurry up and bring me my goodies Mr. Mailman!!!!:biggrin:

Yep, and then it goes from California to Pearland, Texas and right back to California!! Some may argue that we are abusing the United States Postal Service. I say hurry up and bring me my goodies Mr. Mailman!!!!:biggrin:

Chris it is a good thing you are not still on the bypass list:biggrin: I wouldn't say we are abusing the postal system, I look at as we are keeping it open, you know steady work....

Mike

nascrdad

I should be getting it Friday. I will get pics of what is in it, and what I will take, but will leave the "what I put in" to the imagination. I will see if I can pack it back up. It may stay a medium box to Texas.

John Smith

Yah, the post office gave my wife a little grief over the size of the package. They told her one piece of tape was allowed over the flap. Well, my one piece went round and round. LOL. They did let it go though.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I think the trick is to get an overstuffed envelope or box into the USPS system without actually taking it to a postal clerk at a Post Office. I routinely send greatly abused boxes & envelopes with lots of clear packing tape holding it all together with no problem. A route carrier comes by our office every day to pick up & drop off mail - he always takes my packages & never complains about them. If a clerk gives you grief, you could walk away from the counter & put it in the drop box - I'm pretty sure it would get processed rather than returned to you.

Here's what the official USPS manual says about Flat Rate boxes & envelopes:
1.7 Flat Rate Envelopes and Boxes

Any amount of material may be mailed in a USPS-produced Priority Mail Flat Rate Box or Flat Rate Envelope. When sealing a Flat Rate Box or Flat Rate Envelope, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds. Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container; provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way.
1.7.1 Flat Rate Envelopes—Price and Eligibility

USPS-produced Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes are priced at a flat rate regardless of the actual weight (up to 70 pounds) of the mailpiece or domestic destination. See Notice 123—Price List for applicable prices.

At one place at the USPS web site where "rules and restrictions" regarding flat rate boxes & envelopes are listed is the statement that "special prices apply to bulky packages". However, I can't find any statement like that in the official USPS manual and the official USPS price list (Notice 123) has no mention of any such special rates for bulky flat rate packaging.

I don't know why some clerks are being horsey about bulky packaging - they advertise "if it fits, it ships up to 70 pounds". Now you tell me how are you going to get 70 pounds of anything in a flat rate envelope without making it bulky?

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

Other than lead or gold, I'm not seeing 70 lbs in a flat rate envelope. I don't think they'd insure the latter.

On the upside, it may be a large flat rate box by the time it hits Corpus Christi :)

Hendu3270

Chris it is a good thing you are not still on the bypass list:biggrin: I wouldn't say we are abusing the postal system, I look at as we are keeping it open, you know steady work....

Mike

I didn't hink about it like that Mike. We are doing our part in aiding "job security" for the USPS....but shouldn't we be getting paid for helping...:rolleyes:

nascrdad

It's about 3 miles away. Can't wait. I will take photos, remove some goodies, add some goodies, and drop it off at the post office Saturday.:biggrin:

keithbyrd

Wow! I promise it was a new box when it left my hands!!!

Don't post pictures of the contents only what you keep!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom