Opinions on the Bash wanted. - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > IAP Management Team > Activities Manager
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Activities Manager Mike Redburn is the IAP Activities Manager

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREID View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinohio View Post
A big thank you to everyone who held the contests. I know it has to be a crazy amount of work. Here's my thoughts:

I think you should either buy a mug or enter contests to be allowed on the losers train.

I think we need to have some more defined contests like segmented pen category in addition to and separate from the ball point pen contest. I think it would be tough to break down the casting unless you did tube on casting and all others (worthless wood, random objects etc.) Which might be worth considering.

I think we should break down any contest that has over 20 entries into heats distributed as evenly as possible. The example would be for the pretty wood pen with 40. It would be 4 heats of 10. People would choose 2 or 3 from each heat to advance. The top 3 in each heat would go to the finals round so that would be 12 finalists. The second and final round would only allow one vote per member and the votes would be tallied up to decide placement. Top 3 vote getters win.

I felt like it took forever in some of the contests, both as an entrant then as a voter. I think a shorter voting period could be an option, but might not be needed if we shorten the amount of rounds. Three rounds is a lot. 2 seems better, unless there is a tie, which is understandable.

I personally would like to see the entries as they come in, but it might give someone an advantage or possibly introduce "copying" of some sort, so it is probably more fair to do it this way.

I also liked it when a round was complete and the voting results were shown, before the contest organizer was able to make an official post with the results. It takes the "stress" off you when you don't have to wait to find out if you made the next round.

FWIW,

Lewis
I understand that having 40 entrants is a lot. I don't have the answer, but if 3 people got voted as 4 or 5 and would have beat the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in two of the rounds, should they be out just because of placement? This is really tough. The idea of splitting it up into categories is one thing but that puts a strain on the prize pool. and would need more people to chair the contest or more work for one person to chair multiple popular contests.
Like I said, I don't have the answers. Just putting my 2 1/2 cents in.
I see your point about the possibility of that situation happening There must be some way to do it.

Maybe if we were able to have a thumbnail of each pen and a voting tab underneath or beside each thumbnail. This would be at the top of the post like we have now. The thumbnails would be clickable to enlarge them. Then we would list each pen and the description like we have now, separately. This would allow everyone to look at each pen and description and when we are ready to vote, we could go to the top and if we needed to, click the thumbnail to enlarge and shrink as needed for clarification.

One thing is am sure of is that we need two rounds max.

Lewis
Old 03-08-2017, 12:19 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 32

I did something like this
Basic Casting Contest Voting
Old 03-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

Food for thought,,,
Does the Pretty Wood Contest provide a better contest for Beginning Turners to enter than the turning Challenged?
There is no question about its popularity.
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2017, 12:54 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I definately think a downloadable calendar would be a great asset. As a competitor I missed out due to missed deadlines. I also kept checking my contest dates to make sure I didn't screw up. Just don't tell Mike or Jeff that I'll volunteer to build next years calendar.

Seemed like we were short on Moderator/Admin folks this year. Both Jeff and Mike did a bang up job. Thanks for all of it. Let me know if I can help out more next year.

Of course we could probably do away with the Basic Casting and Polymer Clay contests. Did he have any entries? Good Job Curt!

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.......

President Pikes Peak Woodturners - AAW Chapter
Mr Vic is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 73

I think one contest should be brought back was best front page pen of the year. Only one winner no second or third place just first place. I say we do not need a worthless wood contest. That can be grouped in a casting contest if you want and also do away with the turning challenged contest. made no sense. Turn a pen how simple can it be. kids do it. Last one do away with the difficult to write with contest and maybe bring back ugly pen contest in its place.

This contest is for bragging rights that is based on the logo design for the Bash contest. Have a yearly pen contest. This runs in succession with the logo contest. Make an IAP pen. It gets displayed throughout the year somewhere on the front page. The pen can be of any type of medium, style, kit, or kitless. Any means of making it will qualify. Voting runs in connection with logo voting. Both run at the same time.

Food for thought.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:20 AM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vic View Post
I definately think a downloadable calendar would be a great asset. As a competitor I missed out due to missed deadlines. I also kept checking my contest dates to make sure I didn't screw up. Just don't tell Mike or Jeff that I'll volunteer to build next years calendar.

Seemed like we were short on Moderator/Admin folks this year. Both Jeff and Mike did a bang up job. Thanks for all of it. Let me know if I can help out more next year.

Of course we could probably do away with the Basic Casting and Polymer Clay contests. Did he have any entries? Good Job Curt!
It just never stops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody cares that my last grey hair turned white.
Just wait till next year.
That is if I am allowed back next year.
CREID is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 03:53 AM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 119

Yet again I thought the bash was excellent!

The only modification I was less keen one was the way the entries were displayed in the polls.
Entries used to be displayed as full size embedded photos rather than clickable thumbnails. The problem I see with smaller thumbnails is that as you scan down the list you don't really get to see that entry. In the past with larger pictures you can normally spot your selection for the poll straight away, the one that jumps out at you!
But with contests of 40 entries and 80 thumbnails to click, I imagine many were skimmed over and not given their chance to jump out at the viewer!
philb is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 8

I'll cast my vote for needing a participation ticket to ride the Loser's Train. If you don't enter a contest, you're neither a winner or a loser.

I really like the pretty wood contest. 40 entries was a lot, but I didn't find it too difficult to winnow out my favorites.

As mentioned above, I'm not sure the Turning Challenged contest is really necessary. Not sure what I'd replace it with.

As always, it was fun and kudos to those who volunteered to run it--great job!

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREID View Post
I did something like this
Basic Casting Contest Voting
I liked that format much better.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #30 (permalink)

I agree that the turning challenged contest is not necessary.

I also do not like/care about the difficult to write contest, but that is not based on any particular reason, just personal preference I guess.

Lewis
Logged on members can hide ads