Opinions on the Bash wanted. - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > IAP Management Team > Activities Manager
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Activities Manager Mike Redburn is the IAP Activities Manager

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 89

I too would like to thank the BASH organizers it is wonderful fun and the ideas it produces are just wonderful. Thank you

I would like to see a calendar on the front page.

I would like to see the puzzle and trivia contest go all month. Yes I know they are a lot of work but the knowledge gained from looking up stuff on the IAP website is so valuable. Even when it is amazingly hard, Edgar comes up with some real brain teasers. Loved every minute of it.
Edward Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiprat View Post
I think the entire Bash team did a fantastic job and I hate criticising anything that was done. I could have stepped up and offered to help in the beginning, but didn't. So please don't take my comments wrong

What I would like to see is at least one of the contests ( probably the Freestyle ) showing the entries as they are entered. I used to love it when we did this years ago. It gave impetus to those that needed a nudge to enter.
It had pros and cons for the early birds though. Getting yours in first, got loads of views and comments and stuck in peoples minds when voting time came, but it also gave the competitive few of us time to see what we were up against

I did lose track of dates for when contests where starting and finishing. A calendar would help.

I think we spent far too much effort arguing about the silly rules instead of going with the spirit. Less Rules More Fun.

Bantering with my fellow contestants is far more fun than actually winning the contest.

I think in the past, winning contests was often perceived more as a bit of a member popularity contest than about the pens. But even with our 'anonymous' methods we use now, it's mostly pretty obvious who made certain pens. Especially when the contestants say upfront that they are entering.
I actually stopped entering because I was once told by a few mean spirited members that the ONLY reason I ever won a contest, was because I was popular at the time. I was even told once that I shouldn't even be eligible to enter as it was really just an American site. Those muppets have long gone so hopefully those thoughts have gone with them.

But I still think this Bash was done well and I take my hat off to all the good folks that actually stood up to the plate and helped run it.

Well done !!
The only thing I see wrong with showing the entries as they are entered is that some may feel that the entries are too good to compete with and not enter, even though nobody really knows how people will vote.
A calendar might be nice.
I agree that maybe some people take the contest more seriously than others, I blame the prizes being too good.
You should definitely enter the contests, you are very talented and so are others and again no one knows how people will vote.
And as for the bantering, it is a fun part of the Bash and especially watching you and another who shall remain nameless go at was very entertaining and obviously JT won.
That's all.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 45

A couple of the contests had so many entries that they became cumbersome, i.e. a lot of the entries were quite similar, and choosing the "best" was tedious.

I refer specifically to the Pretty Wood Contest and the Ballpoint contest.

I haven't thought it through carefully (but will attempt to do so) but I would suggest that such "general topic" contests could be improved by narrowing the submission requirements ... and possibly having additional contests.

For example, the Pretty Wood Contest could be divided into two or three contests ... but I have to think further about how to make the division ... perhaps as simply as "one barrel pens" and "two barrel pens" but I think even that would not be sufficient distinction.

All the the Pretty Wood Contest entries presented gorgeous woods, which is basically Mother Nature's doing. . I think the contest should specifically require more design and innovation challenge from the contest entrants.

I would also second Skip's remark that it is nice to see the contest submissions as they are entered (without names of course)

Let me say also that I appreciate very much the work and time which all "you adminstrative guys" put in to organize the BASH !!!!!

Last edited by magpens; 03-07-2017 at 05:48 PM.
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 3

A big thank you to everyone who held the contests. I know it has to be a crazy amount of work. Here's my thoughts:

I think you should either buy a mug or enter contests to be allowed on the losers train.

I think we need to have some more defined contests like segmented pen category in addition to and separate from the ball point pen contest. I think it would be tough to break down the casting unless you did tube on casting and all others (worthless wood, random objects etc.) Which might be worth considering.

I think we should break down any contest that has over 20 entries into heats distributed as evenly as possible. The example would be for the pretty wood pen with 40. It would be 4 heats of 10. People would choose 2 or 3 from each heat to advance. The top 3 in each heat would go to the finals round so that would be 12 finalists. The second and final round would only allow one vote per member and the votes would be tallied up to decide placement. Top 3 vote getters win.

I felt like it took forever in some of the contests, both as an entrant then as a voter. I think a shorter voting period could be an option, but might not be needed if we shorten the amount of rounds. Three rounds is a lot. 2 seems better, unless there is a tie, which is understandable.

I personally would like to see the entries as they come in, but it might give someone an advantage or possibly introduce "copying" of some sort, so it is probably more fair to do it this way.

I also liked it when a round was complete and the voting results were shown, before the contest organizer was able to make an official post with the results. It takes the "stress" off you when you don't have to wait to find out if you made the next round.

FWIW,

Lewis
Old 03-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinohio View Post
A big thank you to everyone who held the contests. I know it has to be a crazy amount of work. Here's my thoughts:

I think you should either buy a mug or enter contests to be allowed on the losers train.

I think we need to have some more defined contests like segmented pen category in addition to and separate from the ball point pen contest. I think it would be tough to break down the casting unless you did tube on casting and all others (worthless wood, random objects etc.) Which might be worth considering.

I think we should break down any contest that has over 20 entries into heats distributed as evenly as possible. The example would be for the pretty wood pen with 40. It would be 4 heats of 10. People would choose 2 or 3 from each heat to advance. The top 3 in each heat would go to the finals round so that would be 12 finalists. The second and final round would only allow one vote per member and the votes would be tallied up to decide placement. Top 3 vote getters win.

I felt like it took forever in some of the contests, both as an entrant then as a voter. I think a shorter voting period could be an option, but might not be needed if we shorten the amount of rounds. Three rounds is a lot. 2 seems better, unless there is a tie, which is understandable.

I personally would like to see the entries as they come in, but it might give someone an advantage or possibly introduce "copying" of some sort, so it is probably more fair to do it this way.

I also liked it when a round was complete and the voting results were shown, before the contest organizer was able to make an official post with the results. It takes the "stress" off you when you don't have to wait to find out if you made the next round.

FWIW,

Lewis
I understand that having 40 entrants is a lot. I don't have the answer, but if 3 people got voted as 4 or 5 and would have beat the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in two of the rounds, should they be out just because of placement? This is really tough. The idea of splitting it up into categories is one thing but that puts a strain on the prize pool. and would need more people to chair the contest or more work for one person to chair multiple popular contests.
Like I said, I don't have the answers. Just putting my 2 1/2 cents in.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I am in awe of the work put into the bash and think all the organizers deserve a big prize for their time and dedication.

As a non-participant except for a little ride on the Loser Train, I have no right to criticize.

I do like Steven's suggestion of a view when entered contest of one sort or another because reading or joining in the banter and razzing is a ton of fun. We could even have "lamest thread of the past year" to be nominated by the membership. Dalecamino is a shoe for that one already.:big grin:

Perhaps a theme pen contest like "the blackest pen". Any kind of pen that is predominantly black. Anyone could win from a Slimline to a Kitless if it was very well done. You could even have 4 colours over the course of the Bash, a different one each week.

Thanks for listening
Old 03-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I think part of the reason the pretty wood contest had so many entrants is because it was the only contest that you could use any pen and not have stipulations about using all parts or modifying them. Some of us aren't that advanced yet but can see pretty wood.

Someone will chime in with their usual negative comment about how easy it is to modify this or that part of a kit etc I'm sure. If you tighten the rules of the pretty wood contest to limit entries then maybe give us newbies or less advanced turners something of a stock kit contest. That way we can use our limited tools and resources and feel like we can compete.

I entered a cedar Slimlime into the contest. I knew going in I wouldn't win because it wasn't a burl and it wasn't a rollerball kit. But I still wanted to enter something and it was the only contest a stock kit could be eligible for.

Just my rookie opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Find me on Facebook HERE
keithncsu is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I really missed having the trivia throughout the entire bash. I understand that is a lot for one person so maybe next year two people can share that one(maybe even me). Also I am not sure what happened to the puzzle generator but I don't know about anyone else but I really missed the crosswords, word finds and jigsaw puzzles we had in the past bashes. I know Edgar did the best he could but some of the puzzles felt more like last years wood identification contests.
I really wanted to participate in the penmaking contests but to my dismay I am unable to turn anything at this time due to my shop/garage being completely disorganized. I will be ready next year.
Having said all that, as usual all of the volunteers did an amazing job on the bash. It to me is always one of the highlights of every year. Thank you everyone that worked on the bash for making it another fun one.

Wayne
Pete275 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 73

Opinions. People that know me here know I am never one to shy away from giving my opinion. Sometimes people take it too far and want to dispute an opinion and I have to keep reminding them it is just my opinion.

As always the chairpeople and organizers did a great job. It takes time and effort to do this and to tell people well you should do this or that gets strained a bit.

But first thing I would like to say is the rules are put out there before the Bash begins. I think the dates should also be put out there before they begin and not wait for the last minute. I believe that the Pen Stand and Pen box are the hardest events or ones that require the most time to complete so they should run the longest. I believe in the rules that a summation of your work is required and then it should be posted with the entry and not left out. We took the time to write it the chairperson should take the time to insert it. Some may read the information and others just look at the eye candy but if it is there it gives the voter the chance for themselves to decide. This happened a few times in this years Bash. Do not really care how many entries, it should be there.

If you look back at past Bash parties you will see the amount of contests has increased tremendously. Each year some contests get drop and others added. But what this does is require more chairpeople and also more prizes. With so many other gatherings going on and that too seems to be increasing we can not expect the vendors here and outside vendors to keep supplying prizes and being top quality prizes. Going to the well so many times puts a strain on them also. What that answer is I do not know but throwing it out there as a point of interest.

Breaking down contests for beginners and vets get over it. Come to play. Put something in the contest of your choice and learn from it. There can only be so many winners. It is for the fun and to push yourself to play with the elite. You want more elite players to step up and enter. To push these contests to the top. The more the better.

As far as voting, we do not need so many rounds 40 pens 2 rounds is all that is needed. There are going to be so many great pens left out but eventually they will be left out anyway. The majority will always win.

As far as the contests now I believe it is a good break down. I think you can take a look at the entries of each contest and use that as a basis for deadline dates so that you have contests ending at different times all the time.

I think some advertising should start in January right away to get people thinking if they want to enter. The people that have been here awhile realize this happens same time every year but so many new members joining every day.

That is about it. I do not care if you show the entries all at once or one at a time. But if you are going to show all at once the chairpeople have to have the kinks worked out before hand.

I look forward to next year and hopefully will enter even more contests than I did this year. I am in it for the fun. Hope to see many more people there next year too.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 0

As another newbie ( and I will say a very lucky and grateful newbie to my first BASH), I enjoyed it a lot. Many of the contests I did not try for one reason or another. one that comes to mind immediately is the match the pen to makers. I am new here and still learning my way around the forum, and quite honestly didn't have the amount of time to dedicate into trying to search for the answers. I did however, spend A LOT of time just reading and learning , so even though I did not try that contest, I feel I still won. The knowledge I have learned in the last couple months on here is astounding, and that is thanks to everyone on here!
What Keithncsu mentioned above I think is a very good suggestion about the only place to enter a 'stock' pen is in the pretty wood contest. I find enough joy in making a kit pen, and with limited time to turn, I tend to make whats in the kit. Even the slimline contest really didn't require anything that is slimline exclusively, as the transmission used in a slimmy is essentially the same one used in a gazillion other kits. So to me, the slimline contest could have better been named "freestyle contest".
Being new here this bash, I now have a few ideas and know what to keep in mind for next year, so its my hope I will be more prepared to participate in a few of the contests.
A couple additional contest ideas to consider:
1) a matched pen/pencil set . This could be perhaps any kit/ style of pen and matching pencil. Turned precisely to match one another, both using the same material, whether acrylic or wood or other material, making a nice matching set. For some of us, making a matching pair of pens/pencils is a challenge in itself.
2) other things we turn. I see razors, shaving brushes, ice cream scoops, pizza cutters, bowls, ect. as a possibility. I know this is a penturning site, but this wouldn't be stretching the boundries any farther than the photograph contest.

I did really like the pen box contest, and the pen display contests, and was surprised there weren't very many entries in those. Being new here and unfamiliar with the bash I was not prepared, or I would have had an entry in those categories. Theres always next year I hope! Although the difficult to write with thing is kind of fun, I wasn't inspired by that contest like I was with the others. I did however really love seeing the contests for the junior turners. Having been a 4-H woodworking leader for many years I always like seeing the youth picking up these kinds of skills!
I did like the calender idea showing the timeline of the happenings.
So, as a newcomer here, I am floored by organization, and the amount of time the team must put into holding such an event, and a great event it was, and it gave me a ton of inspiration, and has my creative juices going in anticipation of the next bash!

Last edited by luckyscroller788; 03-07-2017 at 10:47 PM.
luckyscroller788 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads