November 2017 PITH Pictures. Show us watcha got!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Wow! Rebecca just receive her pen from Mr. Vic along with some goodies. We might need some help identifying the nuts(?) that were sent. Rebecca says shes seen them before but we do not know what they are.

The pen is beautiful and I hope Mr Vic can let us know what technique he used. It looks to be a very nicely done inlay.

We just shipped his pen and goodies this morning and hope he enjoys them as much as Rebecca likes hers!

Thanks!
b94f406750e1eb58d2237d5883eeba57.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The package arrived today and I didn't get to open until 9:30 tonight as I had to attend a Water Association Board meeting.

The pen is modified European made from Aspen and feather Inlaid with Cedar/Juniper, The goodies are Tagu Nuts, African Blackwood, Philippine Acacia, Australian Koa, Spalted Pecan and Spectra Ply. All but the Blackwood were from my previous swap stash. Can you guess who the Pecan was from?

Rebecca sent me a beautiful Triton Convertible made from Sinker Cypress and an Ornament from Texas Ebony along with some other goodies to include a fridge magnet with a Texas Longhorn cow on it. Kinda late so pictures tomorrow.

Thanks Rebecca the pen is awesome and writes smooth.

I know, I know!:)

The Philippine Acacia & Australian Koa hitched a ride back in my suitcase on my last trip to Hawaii. The Acacia came from a cutting board that I picked up at an ABC store in Honolulu - the Philipinos call that acacia "Roadside Acacia" because the trees are so prevalent. The Australian Koa was some recycled wood that I picked up at Re-Use Hawaii in Honolulu. I'm glad to see these blanks being passed around. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I received my pen & blanks from Todd (penmaker1967) yesterday.

Todd really put a lot of work into this pen - the blank is maple burl with a walnut stain & finished with 10 coats of poly. The finish is superb and has a really nice feel. This is going to be my carry pen for a while. :)

I had never heard of iowacobb.com as a source for pen blanks before I got these blanks, so I checked their web site to see what else they might have besides these neat Living Color Pine blanks. I'll have to try their corn cob blanks someday.

This was the third time in the last 4 years that Todd and I have been paired up in a PITH. It's always a lot of fun to chat with Todd & see what kind of surprises we can send each other. Thanks again Todd - you nailed as usual!

Attachments

• Pen & Blanks from Todd.jpg
    Pen & Blanks from Todd.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 218

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Todd (penmaker1967) asked me to post photos of what I sent to him.

Since this was a "local wood" pith, I used a slightly spalted & stabilized piece of Huisache from my brother's farm in Weesatche, TX. (can't get much more local than that - Weesatche was named for the abundance of Huisache brush growing in the area, using an anglicized spelling of the name).

The birdhouse ornament was made from a little chunk of wood from that same Huisache log. It's not stabilized, so it has some natural cracks & holes which I thought would give it a somewhat rustic look. The cap & finial are spalted maple, also not stabilized to enhance the rustic look.

I'm really glad to hear that your wife likes the ornament, Todd. Thanks again, pal - this was another fun PITH & I look forward to getting paired up again sometime down the road.

Attachments

• Cigar Pen.jpg
    Cigar Pen.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 245
  • Birdhouse Ornament.jpg
    Birdhouse Ornament.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Blanks.jpg
    Blanks.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 217

Rounder

Here is my pen from BrianG. A great looking pen wrapped in stabilized spalted maple. Excellent fit and finish and I am proud to have received it. I also got a boat load of very nice blanks. Thanks Brian and I really enjoy these PITH's and getting to see other people's work.

Attachments

• IMG_5060.JPG
    IMG_5060.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_5063.JPG
    IMG_5063.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_5061.JPG
    IMG_5061.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_5062.JPG
    IMG_5062.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 220

Wagner11

I've been meaning to post this forever(Glen had the box to me in October) but I've been running around like crazy preparing for the new addition to the family. Glen (glenspens) sent me a beautiful Jr. Gent pen along with several beautiful pen blanks. Glen was also very understanding when I failed to meet the deadline. Thanks Glen.
2ea212c9a45b7788f9266b1da3ff30c6.jpg
ec3d3b6f42bc59977747a31a1a74a55e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Top Bottom