November 2013 PITH Pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Pen for penmaker1967

Todd got his package today, but his camera is kaput so he asked me to post a photo of my PITH project.

The main pen is a PSI bolt action kit with Russian Olivewood. Of course it's not really olive wood and the blank is from the USA, but the shrub is called Russian Olive, so I thought it was appropriate for this PITH theme. Sorry to say, I can't remember who sent me the blank, but I was glad to have it on hand.

While I was at it, I also made a slimline pen for fun. Someone sent me a nice white corian pen blank that I thought would be great for a "snow & ice" theme. I dressed it in technicolor pen parts to incorporate the 5 olympic ring colors.

The "packing material" is pecan - all pieces spalted except a couple. I took the photo before I packed it up and was actually only able to get 8 of these blanks in the package.

Thanks for your encouragement, Todd. I had a lot of fun working on this project & I'm looking forward to the next PITH pairing.

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_3747.jpg
    IMG_3747.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Nov 2013 Pens.jpg
    Nov 2013 Pens.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 276

tateb24

Here is the very cool Winterizer rollerball I received from Joe. Mr.Joe also sent some very cool pen accessories as well. I thought Christmas had arrived early. The pen also had ice blue refill in the pen, and a custom finial cap, AND a custom center band insert which I am stilling try to figure how it was accomplished. Great pen for the winter. Thanks again Joe!

Attachments

• IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3635.jpg
    IMG_3635.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 278

Joe S.

And here is my awesome Olympic pen from Taylor! He said the cap was meant to be red, white, and blue for USA, but it turned into France! :eek::biggrin: It's a sweet pen and it was a great PITH!

Attachments

• DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0158.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 209

Mason Kuettel

WOW!

I got my pen on Thursday from Evan Bahr and all I can say is "WOW!" When the pairings came out I saw who I had and, as I am sure several of us do, I looked to see what kind of pens Evan made. I didn't have to look far because I saw one of his pens as the "featured" pen on the home page. That is when I knew I was probably getting the good end of this PITH because I am nowhere near front page material:)

I didn't have all my lights for the photo set up because the dogs are using one of them tonight (15 degrees in Texas, they get pretty chilly!) so the lighting is kind of odd, but I tried to fix as much as I could before uploading. Hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I do!

On to the pen....(did I mention he made a custom box, too!!!)

attachment.php

Everything on this pen amazed me, from the time I opened the custom box and saw all the detailed custom work, the ebony finial, the metal inlay :bulgy-eyes:
attachment.php

Olympic rings on the cap, colored rings on the body....

attachment.php

Beautiful burl wood throughout...
attachment.php

One last shot of the whole thing!

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0395.JPG
    DSC_0395.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 630
  • DSC_0386.JPG
    DSC_0386.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 632
  • DSC_0390.JPG
    DSC_0390.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 630
  • DSC_0392.JPG
    DSC_0392.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 652
  • DSC_0389.JPG
    DSC_0389.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 639

sschering

Hard hat out did himself delivering a killer kit-less pen, a set of turned earrings and a great collection of awesome blanks..

My pictures don't do it justice.. I think I owe him another box of goodies.. :)

Attachments

• Ponuqlr.jpg
    Ponuqlr.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 203
  • vZiDKyl.jpg
    vZiDKyl.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 193
  • dQosnsf.jpg
    dQosnsf.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

jsolie

Received my pen from JustmeinMS (Brian) yesterday. I'm using it at work today, and am hoping to get some photos of it later tonight. It's a beautiful wintery blue!

Tieflyer

Received my pen from alankulwicki7 today, love when there is stuff for me in the mailbox!
Doug sent a very nicely turned Russian Olive Burl dressing a Liberty pen. Love the kit, love the wood, excellent fit and finish. I am honored to have this in my (very small for now) collection of PITH pens and had fun lamenting with Doug our apparent shared issues with some challenging techniques. There were also several prizes included and I look forward to turning the gift blanks in the near future!

b2bcdf544390956d2b92e37825a9227c_zps012d5fd8.jpg

alankulwicki7

Looks like Tieflyer and I both received packages today. Like Jeff said, we both tried new techniques and were unsuccessful in all of them. I will be trying again when I have more time...

Anyway, here's the pen I received. It's a chrome JR Gent 1 with an Icy acrylic blank. Jeff did a great job with the pen and I like the feel of the Jr Gent pen. It will go great with my collection. Oh, and Jeff included some nice blanks, too!
Thanks again, Jeff!

Attachments

• pith1113.jpg
    pith1113.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I received my pith pen from Todd (penmaker1967) yesterday. It's a beautiful BOW on a Woodcraft bright black cigar. The fit & finish are perfect and I really like the shape of the upper barrel. BOW is my favorite wood & I've given away a lot of BOW pens, so it's nice to receive one for a change. It's gonna be my #1 desk pen for a good while.

Todd also sent along the blanks in the photo - some really nice ERC, highly figured maple, & chestnut from a 200 year old tree.

Thanks buddy - it was a fun pith & I hope we get paired up again sometime down the road.
Ed

Attachments

• Nov 3013 Pen From Todd.jpg
    Nov 3013 Pen From Todd.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 152

JustmeinMS

Sorry everyone! I haven't been on in a while, but I did receive my PITH pen from John (jsolie) over a week ago. It was made from a hybrid blank (Mesquite & light metallic blue resin). I will try to get pic posted soon, but this time of the year is just crazy when you are in my profession.

evan bahr

PITH pictures

I received my PITH pen from Masom Kuettel yesterday. I think he did a fantastic job on the pen as well as getting the Olympics theme into the pen. The finish on this pen is remarkable. I really like the gold, silver, and bronze segments. The angled segments on the body of the pen are also very well done. I wish you could see this pen in person as my pictures don't do it justice. Thanks again Mason, your effort is appreciated! Evan

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 144
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 134

healeydays

walshjp17 and I are holding up due to a health issue. We are still hoping to do our swap prior to the Olympic's opening ceremony...

Attachments

• stay tuned.jpg
    stay tuned.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 120

sschering

I'm having a rough time with electronics right now but I feel pictures are due so here are the best pics I have at the moment. Our big camera is off for routine maintenance...

I am absolutely thrilled with this pen

I owe you some blanks. I completely forgot to put them in the box..

Glad you like it. Now have you found the 2 blow outs I tried to hide?

Here's the pics of the pen I took before I mailed it..
Jr Retro - Imgur

hard hat

I did see one spot but it was well hidden. You did a great job on the finish, it's like butter... just not melty.

lyonsacc

The kids had a little early Christmas present from the Beuker family today!

Rebecca (age 12) received a beautiful Manhattan Clicker with a blue Brooks blank turned by Olivia (age 6). She is thrilled with it (and won't stop clicking it).

Cole (age 10) received a "flames" laser cut blank on a Sierra stylus kit from Katie (age 8). It looks super cool and he is thrilled! This PITH was his first completed pen turning experience (he has blown up a couple of blanks).

Josh (age 7) received a bolt action bullet pen with a nice acrylic blank from Josh (age 9). He has a large collection of nerf guns and is thrilled to have a pen that looks like a rifle.

Also included in the pack was a nice blank for each of the kids to add to their collections and a very nice redwood burl/worthless wood type blank Eric included for me! Oh - and the pens all came wrapped and in very nice boxes. You went above an beyond Eric, Thanks!

Dave

Attachments

• 12-23-13 039.jpg
    12-23-13 039.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 12-23-13 040.jpg
    12-23-13 040.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 12-23-13 041.jpg
    12-23-13 041.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 12-23-13 043.jpg
    12-23-13 043.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 144

Ambidex

pith

USNR03 sent these and some purty blanks to me a while ago. Sorry about the delay in posting but it's a busy time of the year for a letter carrier.:rolleyes: As usual my pictures don't do the actual pens justice. Thank you very much Peter!

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 137
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 123

lyonsacc

Here are the pens we sent:

To Buzzz4's kids - from top to bottom
A patriotic Slimline from Josh (age 7) to Josh
A twisting comfort style from Rebecca (age 12) to Olivia (blue for water & ice)
A Slimline from Cole (age 10) representing the Olympic torch. This was Cole's first completed pen.

And my attempt at an Olympic medals pen (an atrax rollerball).

Attachments

• 12-12-13 063.jpg
    12-12-13 063.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 130
  • 12-12-13 073.jpg
    12-12-13 073.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 12-12-13 072.jpg
    12-12-13 072.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 139

lyonsacc

Please let me know if you have not received something from your swap partner (or at least made arrangements for those that ran into health issues).

Thanks for your participation! I have had a fun time chatting some of you and watching the pens get posted.

Thanks,
Dave

juteck

My PITH from ChrisN

I'm VERY late in getting this posted, since I've had the pen for more than a month now :rolleyes:, but this is the pen I received from ChrisN, along with some extra nice packing material. Chris sent me a note card explaining the various elements how they relate to the upcoming winter olympics.....and I know I have it around here somewhere.......but if he cares to chime in and add any detail, that might be faster.

Either way, I'm very pleased to have received this pen, and it was a great swap! Thanks Chris!

1_IMG_5892.JPG

ChrisN

Glad you like it! Not being a very sports minded person, I decided to emphasize the winter rather than the Olympics. This is what I call a "story" blank - it tells a story.

The top segment (a Brooks blank) represents clouds & blue sky common in winter.
Next down is white Corian, representing snow; and the aluminum in the joint is the ice on top of the snow.
The next layer (brown resin of some type) represents the dead plants that you can see, but underneath that (green Corian) there is still life.

This pen was fun to design and make. It has about 9 segments (6 in the "grip section" alone), and I am very pleased with the results.

I'm VERY late in getting this posted, since I've had the pen for more than a month now :rolleyes:, but this is the pen I received from ChrisN, along with some extra nice packing material. Chris sent me a note card explaining the various elements how they relate to the upcoming winter olympics.....and I know I have it around here somewhere.......but if he cares to chime in and add any detail, that might be faster.

Either way, I'm very pleased to have received this pen, and it was a great swap! Thanks Chris!

1_IMG_5892.JPG

ChrisN

Here is my PITH pen from John. (juteck)

12-13 PITH.jpg

I like the segmented grip! And how did you know that blue is my favorite color?:tongue: I'm not sure what wood he used, but I'm sure that it's dyed. (I don't know of any naturally blue wood.:biggrin:) This is a very nice pen, and I definitely had fun. Thanks, John!

lyonsacc

Finally getting around to posting my pen from Jim (scottsheapens). A really cool pinecone blank on a Lancer (I think that is the name). Also got some neat blanks.

Attachments

• DSCN0490_edited.jpg
    DSCN0490_edited.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN0492_edited.jpg
    DSCN0492_edited.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 104
Top Bottom