November 2013 PITH (including youth PITH)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

November 2013 PITH (including an opportunity for a youth PITH)

As with all IAP activities, the IAP Activity Rules apply to this PITH (the member must have his or her first and last name posted in their profile and be able to be contacted through the IAP's private messaging system or email. The member must have completed all previous IAP activity obligations).

PITH stands for Pen In The Hat. If we could ever be so lucky to find ourselves in one big room we could have a real PITH. Everyone would put one of their pens into a hat. The hat would be passed among us. Each of us would draw a pen out of the hat to keep as our own.

THIS IS NOT A TRUE PITH – it is more like a swap – you will get randomly paired with another participant to exchange pens and whatever else you may or may not choose to include in the package (nothing additional is required). The PITH chairperson assigns each participant a number, uses www.random.org and randomizes the list of numbers 5 times. Two lists are generated to create the final list of swap partners. The results will then be published in a new thread on November 1st. The chairperson may elect to randomize the list an additional time or two in 2 situations: if siblings or spouses are selected as swap partners (I have 3 kids and suspect they wouldn't be very motivated to participate if they were exchanging with each other).

THE THEME FOR THIS PITH: The 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Think of winter, ice, water. The main sports are: Biathlon (i.e. lots of bullets), Bobsled, Curling, Hockey, Luge, Skating, and Skiing. Sochi is a rather southern semi tropical (it has some palm trees) city near the Caucus Mountains and the Black Sea. How about your favorite team/country (remember the Jamaican Bobsled team?). Gold, Silver, & Bronze medals. The 5 Olympic rings of blue, black, red, yellow, & green. Other Olympic symbols are the Olympic torch and the olive wreath.

Adults will be paired with adults, youth will be paired with youth. For this event youth will be defined as anyone age 16 and under. Youth will have to sign up through an adult member that meets the above activity participant rules (the adult does NOT have to participate in this PITH, but is responsible for its completion).

If you sign up for this swap you are obligating yourself to complete it. We understand that things happen and something could come up that would prohibit you from completing a pen for this swap. If that should happen please immediately inform your swap partner, the event coordinator and the Activities Manager. The sooner you let us know the easier it is to find someone to take your place.

There is a possibility that you will need to ship the pen you make internationally. Be aware that some countries have custom laws that prohibit wood from being shipped into their country. Please take this into consideration if you get paired with someone from another country. If you absolutely can't ship overseas please let me know.

The main objectives of this PITH are to HAVE FUN and to FOSTER FRIENSHIPS among members. The IAP is made up of individuals of varying levels of skills, abilities, and resources. There have been instances in the past where some members who participated in a swap felt that the pen they received was not equal to the pen they provided. If the possibility of receiving a pen from someone who does not possess the same level of skill, ability, or resources as you will bother you, please do not sign up. We do ask you make your best effort at this pen, that doesn't mean it has to be your GREATEST EVER pen, but that you make your best effort.

You will have until Thursday OCTOBER 31st to sign up or until 80 people sign up – which ever happens first. Your swap needs to be completed by December 15th.

Now - lets have some fun and start signing up!

Dave Lyons (lyonsacc)

Last edited:

scottsheapens

Dave, thank you so much for explaining the process and PITH terms. I have been active for over a year year on the IAP site but have not seen it explained so well.

Now I know the process, count me in.

lyonsacc

Dave, thank you so much for explaining the process and PITH terms. I have been active for over a year year on the IAP site but have not seen it explained so well.

Now I know the process, count me in.

Thanks Jim, - but I can't take much credit. Most of it was plagiarized from a couple previous PITH announcements (copy and paste are some of my favorite functions!)

Dave

firewhatfire

I have a few ideas that could be made into a pen, some of them even related to the Olympics.

I guess I will play.

And if there are an odd number of Youth, I will be willing make them an even number instead of the regular group.

Phil

Last edited:

Ambidex

I'm in..would love to put my 2 1/2 year old gson in..but don't think he needs the pressure yet:biggrin:..if i'm the overload on adults, will take a backseat till he starts turning..say a couple months:wink::wink:

lyonsacc

A little more than 2 days left to sign up!

So far we have 26 adults and 8 youth signed up, let's see if we can get a few more in on the fun!

Top Bottom