The Next Big Event.......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Is Birthday Bash 11.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and will have a safe and Happy New Year. This is the time of year that the Birthday Bash planning committee goes into high gear to put together the IAP's February of Fun!! The members who have volunteered this year are putting together another fantastic IAP Annual Birthday Bash.

What is a Birthday Bash?

Each year, during the month of February the IAP celebrates it's public launch with a month long on-line party. There are contests and prizes. Most of our vendors offer fantastic discounts on their products to IAP members.

Things are not finalized at this time (far from it) but here are some things that we can share with you now.

There are some things that we are going to do differently this year. For example, we will not be having any contests sponsored by vendors. We are encouraging the vendors who have sponsored contests in the past to reallocate their prize budget into prize donations to the Birthday Bash in general, and to member discounts.

We will not label any contest as "Beginner", "Intermediate", "Advanced", etc. We will not be specifying that individuals have had to turn X number of pens, or been a member of the IAP for X number of years to participate in any contest.

Here is the list of events we are working on. This list is subject to change on a moment's notice but should give everyone an idea of what will be offered. Individual events will be added or eliminated as needed. Rules are still being written but will be made known to the membership as soon as they are finalized by the planning committee. Many of the decisions we make concerning contests are the result of the quality and quantity of prizes we are able to offer.

Contest name TBD: A pen making contest designed to attract new / less experienced turners. Kit/No Modifications

Contest name TBD: A pen making contest using a kit with limited modifications (modifications TBD by Chair) allowed.

Kitless contest: A pen making contest using a minimum of, or no, kit components. Result must be immediately recognizable as a pen.

Freestyle Contest: A pen making contest with a minimum number of restrictions. Result does not have to be immediately recognizable as a pen but the finished product must be a functioning pen.

Contest name TBD: A pen making contest that specifies a specific type of kit or tube size be used (Could also specify type of blank to be used if the chair wants to)

Antler, Horn or Bone pen making contest.

Cartridge pen making contest.

A pen making contest limited to participants 13 years of age or younger.

A blank making contest Casting, Polymer Clay, Segmented, Worthless Wood, Scrolled, Stamp, Decal, or whatever (CHAIR NEEDED)

Ugly Pen / Trash Talk Contest

Donation Drawing

Auctions

Pens & Turners Match-Up (Week Long) (CHAIR NEEDED)

Guess the Blank Contest

Daily Trivia (Week Long)

Best Library Article Contest

Puzzles

Pen Photo Contest

Shop Life Pen Contest

A "New Contest" contest – Entrants propose a new contest that will be offered during the NEXT Bash (Week Long) (CHAIR NEEDED)

Any member who wants to offer any input into the 11th Annual Birthday Bash, or participate in the planning or operation of the Bash can contact Mike Broberg (mbroberg) or Mike Redburn (mredburn).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
You are by far the worst activities manager of the last few years. A good one would have everything already lined up!

(just practicing)

Remember that idea that has been rattling around in the back of your head to do a really creative and different pen? Now is the time to let it out. The freestyle contest is the place for concept pens. If you will, the Paris fashion week of pen making. Doesn't have to be practical, but may be the design to influence pen making for the next year. Don't let your equipment limit your imagination. I made my first metal pen on a wood lathe using metal files.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Guess What...............

There are still some newer members who do not know what a Birthday Bash is. Therefore, I am bumping this so it will show up on the front page for a little while.

stonepecker

Just a bump so the new members see what is comming up next month.

Between a couple of contests and the auctions ......... I have butterflies.:bananen_smilies027:
( I keep looking over my shoulder for a 'redbulldog'.......he gave me a warnig to watchout. :eek:
Of course, that was two years ago. Hopefully, he has forgotton....:biggrin: )

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

The bash has a contest for almost everybody. Maybe you are a really talented caster, segmenter, clay artist, painter...whatever. You make incredible blanks, but maybe you are just an average pen turner.

GREAT NEWS!! :eek:

This year we are having a Pen Blank Creation Contest. You don't have to make a pen. You just enter a blank. It's going to be awesome. Start working on your blank.

Top Bottom