June 2017 PITH – Pen (and blank) Swap sign up!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

THIS IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT SO PLEASE READ ALL THE WAY THROUGH BEFORE SIGNING UP

The theme is "A PEN FOR ANOTHER"

As with all IAP activities, the IAP Activity Rules apply to this PITH (the member must have his or her first and last name posted in their profile and be able to be contacted through the IAP's private messaging system or email. The member must have completed all previous IAP activity obligations).

PITH stands for Pen In The Hat. If we could ever be so lucky to find ourselves in one big room we could have a real PITH. Everyone would put one of their pens into a hat. The hat would be passed among us. Each of us would draw a pen out of the hat to keep as our own.

THIS IS NOT A TRUE PITH – it is more like a swap – you will be randomly paired with another participant to exchange pens and 2 or so pen blanks. The PITH chairperson assigns each participant a number, uses www.random.org and randomizes the list of numbers 5 times. Two lists are generated to create the final list of swap partners. The results will then be published in a new thread on or around June 1st.

In other words, you will be randomly paired up with someone else and the 2 of you will exchange pens and blanks.

THE THEME FOR THIS PITH: "A Pen for Another" – This is where this is a bit different. The last PITH I participated in I received a very nice redwood burl sierra pen. I had been wanting to add a nice burl ballpoint to the stash of pens I regularly use – and my partner DigBaddy happened to make one for me that perfectly matched what I was after! Somehow that pen keeps ending up banging around in the cup holder in my wife's van . . . I snag it back and put it on my dresser, and a couple days later I find it back in her van . . . So . . .

The theme for this PITH is "A PEN FOR ANOTHER" – the pen you make/receive is to be given to someone else. Maybe your spouse or partner, your Mom, your Dad, one of your kids, a special neighbor, a pastor at your church, or someone else that is special in your life. Once I publish the list of partners on June 1, you will need to contact each other – at that time it would be helpful for your partner to know who the pen is going to. It might help them decide what pen to make. The pen doesn't have to be specialized in any way for the recipient, but I know some of the members participating will want to do that. To be clear - you will mail the pen and blanks to your swap partner. It is their job to give the pen to whom they wish.

The pen blanks – we also ask that you swap at least 2 pen blanks – these are for you! So at least you will get something out of this PITH!

POSTING YOUR PICS/STORY - There will be a post started in early June to post stories and pics of the pen and blanks received/given. I understand that some folks aren't able to post pics, but for this PITH I ask that you please at least share the story of who you gave the pen to and why. Traditionally the receiver posts the pictures if possible, but the sender can also post once the person receiving then pen has it.

YOUTH – your kids and grandkids can participate (they will be partnered with another youth - or an adult member willing to swap with a youth). Keep in mind that they still have to give the pen to someone else (a sibling, a babysitter, a teacher, a friend, or maybe even Mom or Dad). Blanks are not a required part of the youth swap, but can be included (I know my kids actually like getting blanks and stuff). You, the member, are fully responsible for the youth fulfilling their commitment in this PITH.

If you sign up for this swap you are obligating yourself to complete it. We understand that things happen and something could come up that would prohibit you from completing a pen for this swap. If that should happen please immediately inform your swap partner, and the event coordinator. The sooner you let us know the easier it is to find a workable solution or someone to take your place.

There is a possibility that you will need to ship the pen you make internationally. Be aware that some countries have custom laws that prohibit wood from being shipped into their country. Please take this into consideration if you get paired with someone from another country. If you absolutely can't ship overseas please let me know.

The main objectives of this PITH are to HAVE FUN and to FOSTER FRIENSHIPS among members. The IAP is made up of individuals of varying levels of skills, abilities and resources. There have been instances in the past where some members who participated in a swap felt that the pen they received was not equal to the pen they provided. If the possibility of receiving a pen from someone who does not possess the same level of skill, ability, or resources as you will bother you, please do not sign up. We do ask you make your best effort at this pen, that doesn't mean it has to be your GREATEST EVER pen, but that you make your best effort.

You will have until 8AM EST on Wednesday May 31st to sign up. Your swap needs to be completed by Friday June 30th.

Thanks!
Dave

jennera

Rebecca wants in too. I don't know if the kids are divided by age but she is 16.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

flyitfast

I am in. Great theme!!

BTW, I've noticed that 887 people have viewed this thread and only 28 have signed up.
Those that are just looking, you are invited to join us in the fun and sharing of the PITH. Great way to learn about the members and see all the great pens - they can be beginner pens or old timer pens. This whole thing is about the learning thing and sharing.
Gordon

Last edited:
Top Bottom