June 2013 PITH Pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TLTHW

Pith for Monty

Finally found my pics of the pen I made for Monty.
It is a simple Myrtlewood Burl on a gun metal Baron.

rsz_pith_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It finally arrived!

Tysen "jyrene" was somewhat perturbed that it took so long to arrive. I've had more experience than he has with the CBSA, so I knew it would get here eventually!

The wait was worth it. Thanks Ty!

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=98718&stc=1&d=1374234805

It's a Chrome Virage using a Fool4Peppers Silver/Copper metal flake blank. I'll be using it as my daily carry around for a while prior to putting it into my swap collection!

Thanks again, Ty!

Attachments

• From Tyrene, June 2013 PITH Swap, IAP (Small).jpg
    From Tyrene, June 2013 PITH Swap, IAP (Small).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 261

Dustygoose

With my work schedule, it was a challenge to try to make the deadline. I have been talking to Harley and got it in the mail this morning.

Edit: This was from EBorraga. I'm going ink it up!!

But this is what I had waiting for me when I got home. A beautiful Cocobolo Atrax fountain and a few extras. The blank on the left is a transparent blue. I already have plans for that one.

Last edited:

jmbaker79

John H[/QUOTE]
So that's the same pen in all the photos, and it changes color when the temperature changes? :bulgy-eyes:[/QUOTE]

Yes sir, That is the same pen, just under different temperatures.....

My PITH Was received on time from Mack C. I just have to dig out the light box, hopefully today!

sbwertz

Simple? It may be a slimline, but that is definitely not simple. It is beautiful.

I thought I would show the pen I made for Cwolfs69 as I know hes received the pen already. It just a simple Chrome Slimline made with American Smoketree Burl. Used guitar picks as accents and a little Cocobolo. Enjoy!!

jmbaker79

Finally was able to drag out the light box, or what i call the light box at least....its a pretty crazy contraption! This is my PITH from Mack C. Wearing black cherry burl, Mack is this woodturners finish or a satin CA? Either way the Finish looks great...The engraving is a nice touch, and the only in my collection to feature my name....A few pictures for your viewing pleasure everyone!

Attachments

• MACK1.jpg
    MACK1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 152
  • MACK2.jpg
    MACK2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Mack3.jpg
    Mack3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 135

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Finally was able to drag out the light box, or what i call the light box at least....its a pretty crazy contraption! This is my PITH from Mack C. Wearing black cherry burl,
Mack is this woodturners finish or a satin CA? Either way the Finish looks great
Hi Justin; The finish is thin CA, approx. 6 - 8 coats. I left it to sit overnight.

Next day I sanded it back very gently with well-worn 6oo grit open coat sandpaper as well as 0000 fine oil free steel wool. All of the previous sanding etc. was done parallel to the ways of the lathe.

Then on to the buffer to finish up with Formax plastic buffing compound, Ultra-Fine & Extra-Fine.

Ambidex

pith

Aloha and thank you Steve!!! Beautiful pen and stunning blanks! Please excuse my lack of photographic skill. It doesn't interest me but I wish I could show these blanks off better! You're completely correct about the fat finger thing too..my kids and grandkids think it's great entertainment watching me type or text:redface:..little brats:biggrin: Thanks again and will try to post some pics of the finished pens from your blanks...sincerely..George...btw if anyone want to know how I cleverly incorporated the tinfoil into these pics..just ask..always willing to share:tongue:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 148

juteck

PITH to PTownSubbie

These are the pens I made for PTownSubbie (Fred), that he received in the mail last week (sorry for the delay Fred!).

When we first made contact, I asked him about his preferences for pens that he would use. He said anything would be fine, so I offered a hot pink pen, suitable for a "career navy guy". He said he'd love one! So this is what he received.....

PinkNavy_zpsc94d1c17.jpg

All kidding aside, I thought he deserved a second one a little less girly. I finally decided on a Neopean, with a "cloud" acrylic blank from woodcraft, reverse painted blue.

NeopeanCloud_zps801014ea.jpg

Wraith

I came home today from work to find a wonderful package on my lazy boy and inside it was a beautiful pen and tons of blanks from PTownSubbie. I will upload pics in the next couple of days.

Thank you,
Fred

ken69912001

i was just on line to post the pictures i took of the pen. sorry it took so long. now i feel bad. it is nice to have a slim that has some class to it. the fir and finish are spot on. well here are the pics that i took.

Charles,
Glad you like the pen. I like your photos because they show the shine on the pen better than the ones I took. I used my IPhone and edited the pics in Picasa

It has taken me some time to get a chance to post images of the pen that I sent to Phil (firewhatfire) and what he sent me back. So here goes.

This is the pen that I sent to Phil. It is actually the first finished pen with the same inset color for all of the scallops. I showed another but this was actually the first one that was turned. It has Paduak inset scallops with aluminum accents and Maple Burl as the main wood. It is on a Jr. Gent 2 Rhodium hardware set.
1_pen-2a.jpg

1_pen-2e.jpg

Then there is the masterpiece that Phil sent to me. It is made from Truestone with Ebony with aluminum accents. I think this is a marksman hardware set. The entire pen is just beautiful.

1_pen-4a.jpg

1_pen-4b.jpg

Thank you so much Phil!

JD Combs Sr

My June Pith Pen From John Walsh

John Walsh(walshjp17) sent me a great looking Jr.Gent by Timberbits. It has one of the most amazing looking wood blanks I have seen.

The following is a quote of a PM he sent me. Be sure to check out the link to the Mango stump he included.:

walshjp17 said:
You should be recieving a card with the details tomorrow, but here are the details:

Wood: Mango root. This piece of Mango came from a stump outside the shed of a woodworker in Australia. For the whole story on this stump see
Mango stump.

Hardware: Timberbits Jr. Gent II in Chrome

Finish: Doctor's Woodfinish process: Wet sanded with Walnut Finishing Oil, 240 to 4000 grit. Three coats of Pens Plus Friction Polish (Walnut Oil and Shellac). Two coats of Microcrystalline Wax.

The acrylic blank is not one of mine. Unfortunately, I do not recall from whom I got it but another piece of it turned really nicely and is on a Sierra that I gave to one of my siblings.

I hope you enjoy it.
Warm regards,
jpw

He also included a personalized pen box and some great blanks.
IAPWoWalsh1.jpg IAPWoWalsh2.jpg IAPWoWalsh3.jpg

JD Combs Sr

June Pith Pen to Jim Shackelford

These are pics of the pen I sent to Jim Shackelford(ES171678). He said I could post the pics but I will let him post any comments about the pen. I will say though this pen was more about the blank then the pen, my first effort at casting carbon fiber.

The pen is a Sierra in Chrome and Satin Chrome with a Parker brand Jell Refill. The blank is Carbon Fiber cast in Alumilite. Finished with 4 coats of CA and one coat of Ren Wax.
IAPToShackelford1.jpg IAPToShackelford2.jpg IAPToShackelford3.jpg

Last edited:

Brooks803

Better late than never right?!? Here's my PITH from Don Vann.

He and I have an ongoing joke about pine slim lines so of course I would pull this out of my box:

It's got a great finish on it atleast!

However at the bottom was my true PITH pen. It's a custom FP made with black ebonite and spalted wood (not sure which):

Then of course are the goodies! Thanks Don for the awesome blanks.

D.Oliver

What a haul...The pen is awesome and the goodies are even better and the pine slim is just funny.

Last edited:

firewhatfire

thanks and it is the Optimus Desire from Lazer linez

It has taken me some time to get a chance to post images of the pen that I sent to Phil (firewhatfire) and what he sent me back. So here goes.

This is the pen that I sent to Phil. It is actually the first finished pen with the same inset color for all of the scallops. I showed another but this was actually the first one that was turned. It has Paduak inset scallops with aluminum accents and Maple Burl as the main wood. It is on a Jr. Gent 2 Rhodium hardware set.
1_pen-2a.jpg

1_pen-2e.jpg

Then there is the masterpiece that Phil sent to me. It is made from Truestone with Ebony with aluminum accents. I think this is a marksman hardware set. The entire pen is just beautiful.

1_pen-4a.jpg

1_pen-4b.jpg

Thank you so much Phil!

SteveJ

My Pen from Manny

Sorry it took so long to get this posted.

Manny sent me a beautiful Stretch fountain pen from Lau Lau pens with a fine Heritance nib. It is done in a custom casted olive burl which is amazing. The casting is a pearlescent white and the finish is spot on.

Not pictured, but included in the box were an assortment of inks, Apache Sunset (Noodlers), Asa-Gao (Iroshizuku), Black Velvet (Private Reserve) and some Perfect Pen Flush. A nice small pad of Rhodia lined paper was included as well.

He "threw in" some experiments, which included a piece of big leaf maple burl, some Hickory burl, and three castings with combinations of alumilite and various burls.

Thank you Manny for your thoughtfulness! I love the pen.

Steve

Attachments

• PITH FP Manny.jpg
    PITH FP Manny.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Pith FP Manny closed.jpg
    Pith FP Manny closed.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 115
These are pics of the pen I sent to Jim Shackelford(ES171678). He said I could post the pics but I will let him post any comments about the pen. I will say though this pen was more about the blank then the pen, my first effort at casting carbon fiber.

The pen is a Sierra in Chrome and Satin Chrome with a Parker brand Jell Refill. The blank is Carbon Fiber cast in Alumilite. Finished with 4 coats of CA and one coat of Ren Wax.
View attachment 99215 View attachment 99216 View attachment 99217

JD made a beautiful pen, the sating was flawless. Thank You for the pen and the blanks.

ChrisN

OK, so I'm way late on posting pics, but here they are.

The first pen I got was the one on the bottom. I somehow lost his note (of course I'm not disorganized, I just have half a years worth of junk on my desk:biggrin:), so I don't know what kind of wood it is. I think it was bamboo and Honduran rosewood. I do know it was finished with WTF, and I like the look it gives. I'm also not sure what kit it is, but it is very light compared to a Jr. Gent 2. He also included some goodies along with it.
IMG_6359.jpg
Unfortunately, the clip had turned and dented the barrel, so a few weeks later, another package arrived in the mail, and I recieved another pen, this time made out of Jarrah with a celtic knot in it. This one was finished with CA. He also included a few more goodies.

Here is a pic of some of the goodies. The wood is Apsen burl, and the small blanks are Corian. A few were not around for the picture, namely, Cottonwood, Jarrah, and Elm blanks.
IMG_6361.jpg

Nice pens and goodies! This was my first PITH, and I was not disappointed.:good:

Top Bottom