July PITH Pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TLTHW

Here is the pen I received from Tieflyer. It is a Jr Gent dressed in Lignum Vitae.
Pen is flawless and Jeff can be very proud of his first PITH. He sent a few of it's less developed siblings to sweeten the pot.

rsz_july_pith.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

A Navigator in Satin Nickel

Received this beautiful Navigator from Kendall Northern(aka Kendallqn) Wednesday. One of my favorite pens with an amazing blank.

Ken makes his own blanks as well as purchases some but he could not confirm this was one of his. In any case it is unique.:cool:
IMG_7091_0_2_Detail.jpg IMG_7094_3_5_Detail.jpg

Not only is it a cool pen but Ken even personalized it for me with his new laser.:rolleyes:
IMG_7097_6_8_Detail.jpg

Thanks Ken, this one will be put in a special place to be shown off and with a sign for "Hands off":biggrin:.

Edit: I should also add that fit and finish of the pen is perfect.

BTW apologies for all the blue in the pics. I sometimes forget to turn off my shop lights when taking photos.

Last edited:

TLTHW

Drats...

Just heard from Tieflyer that he got an almost empty(1 blank and some packing) box today so thought I would post a picture of the pen he was going to get. He can post a picture of the pen he does get next week

Irsz_atlas_4th.jpg

Pen is a gun metal Atlas dressed in Maple burl with red, white , and blue acrylic for the 4th of July.

Sucks that this happened, let alone on his first PITH but I will be mailing him a new package on Monday.

Tieflyer

Thanks Dave, I hope whichever postal worker that has the pen enjoys it as much as I would have! Totally not your fault, the box looks suspect. I appreciate your effort and as stated in our PM, pen makers seem to be exceptional human beings. I plan to be in the next PITH, no worries!

John Smith

I received my pen from Cindy (nava1uni) and I need to figure out how to post a picture again. Will definitely get it done this weekend. The pen looked great. Very happy to add it to my collection.

John Smith

Here are photos of pen and blanks from Cindy. A great addition to my PITH collection. And some really nice blanks. Thanks for the really nice pen Cindy.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 104

Sataro

FP from England has Arrived!!!

ericofpendom was my swap partner for this July PITH. Eric had his pen made & sent to me in record time... But somehow the delivery slowed to a stall (so it seemed to me who was eagerly checking the mail box daily). Delivery time from England is not fast and it even seems slower when you are aticipating receivng something nice...

Needless to say the day arrived with a package in the mail. Did not even make it in the house but had the package ripped open on the back porch. (Small insert here-Eric had posted pics of some of the blanks that he has been casting. I did not mention this to Eric but was hoping that the pen he made, would have come from one of his personal casted blanks.)

Once I opened the package, I sat & stared at the pen!!! Fantastic looking fountain pen with amazing colors. Pen form, fit, & finish--perfect!!! The blank was amazing with the many different colors blended together. Got to looking a little closer at the pen & realized more details showing up in Eric's work. I then noticed that he had turned a custom finial & a center band. All I could think of is that is one fantastic looking pen!!! But that was not all, dug a little deeper into the package & out came 3 more of Eric's fantastic looking blanks... Looking at pictures #2 & #3, if you check out pen blank #3, you will see both sides of it. Looks like a different blank but it is actually the same blank.

This was my first pen swap on IAP.

I thank you Eric--could not be any happier with the pen or blanks that you sent...

Attachments

• julypith4800.jpg
    julypith4800.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 129
  • julypith3800.jpg
    julypith3800.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 128
  • julypith2800.jpg
    julypith2800.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 153

SteveJ

My Pen from Scotty

Got my July PITH pen from Scotty a few days ago. He took a look at my profile to see that I am a pastor and made me a Sedona cloaked in Cedar of Lebanon. It has really interesting tight grain which doesn't show up well in the pictures I've posted. Very smooth finish and a nice fit to his workmanship. Thanks Scotty!

Steve

Attachments

• CedarPith.jpg
    CedarPith.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 125
  • CedarPithopen.jpg
    CedarPithopen.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 115

juteck

from healeydays

This is my the pen I received from healeydays. Yep - a steampunk in a SWAP - how lucky did I get!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

He was very fast in getting this to me, but I promised I would wait to open his box until I had mine made for him, and in the mail. I'm not sure if I would have done anything different if I knew what I was getting before I made his, but I know I got the sweeter end of the deal!

Thanks Mike!!

fromhealeydays_zps8e4cfa48.jpg

Tieflyer

Dave Redburn (TLTHW) is an exceptional human being. Anyone who says otherwise, at least for today and part of tomorrow, will have to answer to me. He shipped his PITH pen in plenty of time but a postal person, or machine, decided I didn't need that pen...or most of the blanks. I told him of the problem and didn't want him to go out of his way but he did anyway. A different pen showed up today along with several awesome banks. It's a gold Atlas clad in a heckuva segmenting job. Dave claims this was a "test pen" but I don't believe it. Much too nice! Anyway, it was a great experience and fun to do. I plan to play in future PITHs, you all make me want to push my skill set.

image_zpsbd1f5e3d.jpg
image_zps14fc0d37.jpg

juteck

from John Smith

this is the SWAP pen I received from John Smith. John had missed the signups, so I sent him a PM and we agreed to participate in the SWAP. This one is really cool with the foil leaf cast in clear resin. I'll have to keep this one guarded from my daughter so she doesn't snag it away! Fantastic pen John. Thanks!!

fromJohnSmith_zps60ecf82e.jpg

healeydays

This is my the pen I received from healeydays. Yep - a steampunk in a SWAP - how lucky did I get!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

He was very fast in getting this to me, but I promised I would wait to open his box until I had mine made for him, and in the mail. I'm not sure if I would have done anything different if I knew what I was getting before I made his, but I know I got the sweeter end of the deal!

Thanks Mike!!

fromhealeydays_zps8e4cfa48.jpg

Glad you like it John and glad you got the other one so your daughter doesn't grab every one of your pens...

Mike

healeydays

And today I got mine from John (Juteck) today and I like what I got.

He sent me 4 interesting blanks including a triple ripple blank that the wife has already claimed and made me a great Ambassador pen with a nice dark blue swirl PR blank.

Thanks John,

Mike B

Attachments

• July 2013 PITH i received.jpg
    July 2013 PITH i received.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 164

Scotty

Pen from SMJ1957

Here is the pen my partner Steve sent me. He tells me it is an American Flat Top roller ball nicely wrapped in Aspen burl. He was kind enough to send along some extra aspen burl blanks and some corian. I do enjoy these swaps, but I always feel a little sad for my partners. I try, but always seem to come up short on finish. I feel it is as good as I can
get, but not near as good as the rest of you.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 140

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks Jamie !!

This arrived a couple of days ago, but I just got back home.
I'm afraid I don't know what the kit is but I like it !! :biggrin: I 'think' the blank is spalted pecan as it seems similar to one of the cool blanks that Jamie ( Quister ) kindly inluded. There is a Jack Daniels, Spalted Pecan, Osage Orange and a very tempting Alabaster, which I have never seen before.
Many many thanks Jamie !! It was a pleasure doing the swap with you. :wink:

Attachments

• DSCF1726.JPG
    DSCF1726.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 152

Charlie_W

I know Charlie has received the pen and goodies, but I also know he is one busy guy. Here is the pen I sent him. Modified Cigar with Black/Diamond mini-cones.

View attachment 100137 View attachment 100138 View attachment 100139 View attachment 100140

Thanks Eric,
I just got back in town last night. The pen is simply superb! The depth of the resin with the cones really pulls your eye into the blank!
The other blanks are going to be fun to turn as well. Thanks so very much.
Now I can get your box out Monday. Sorry it is late. I had a lot going on recently.

CrimsonKeel

This arrived a couple of days ago, but I just got back home.
I'm afraid I don't know what the kit is but I like it !! :biggrin: I 'think' the blank is spalted pecan as it seems similar to one of the cool blanks that Jamie ( Quister ) kindly inluded. There is a Jack Daniels, Spalted Pecan, Osage Orange and a very tempting Alabaster, which I have never seen before.
Many many thanks Jamie !! It was a pleasure doing the swap with you. :wink:

looks like a phoenix kit from Phoenix Pen Kits - WoodTurningz

Charlie_W

July Pith from Buzzzz4

Here is the rest of the goodies from Buzzz4 with the pen.
Thanks again Eric for the awesome pen as well as the blanks. I am going to have fun for sure!
I have your box packed up and going out tomorrow.

Attachments

• Pith from Eric B 1.JPG
    Pith from Eric B 1.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 139

John Smith

from juteck

I missed the sign ups and John messaged me saying he would swap with me. Thanks John. So here is the pen. A Vertex click with a home made poly resin. The swirls in the blank are fantastic. Fit and finish are also spot on. He also include quite a few nice blanks. Thanks John.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 109

Buzzzz4

Got a fantastic closed end Zen dressed in Mango from Charlie_W. Thanks for the goodies and whistles for the kiddos!

Attachments

• Mango.jpg
    Mango.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Mike Powell

I wish I was talented enough to join in on this, but I would be embarrassed to recieve one of these beautiful pens and the other get the one I could make. Im only on like pen number 15 or so.

You guys and gals are amazing at turning these pens. I hope that one day I will be this good.

D.Oliver

I wish I was talented enough to join in on this, but I would be embarrassed to recieve one of these beautiful pens and the other get the one I could make. Im only on like pen number 15 or so.

You guys and gals are amazing at turning these pens. I hope that one day I will be this good.

Mike don't worry about your skill level. That's not what the PITH is about. Its more about trying new things, meeting new freinds, and broadening your skills than the pens themselves. We were all greenhorns at one time or another. When I first joined it was right around the time of a PITH also. I didn't join because I didn't feel like my pens were good enough either. A member here, Dalecamino, made an offer to do a swap with me, which I took him up on. We've been friends every since. I'll make the same offer to you. If you (or any new turner who has been hesitant about getting involved in a PITH) are interested PM me.

Here is a link to the thread where I asked about the PITH a couple years ago. There are a lot of good answers there and a lot of good people here at IAP.

Scotty

Mike I have expressed those same feelings a time or two myself, but don't let that stop you from joining in on a PITH. I can turn ok, but I have a hard time finishing like most of these folks here. I give it my best, and that is all I can do. I hope my best keeps getting better. I would be honored to swap pens with you in you want. Just be warned.....your best might be better than my best right now. Every one of these people here will help and encourage you.

Tieflyer

Mike, this one was my first and I had a blast. Look back at the posted pens again, several (like the one I made) are just a nice blank turned well and put on a kit. Pen turners, especially the ones on IAP, are an exceptional group of people. My abilities, or lack of same, aren't considered because they accept everyone who tries to make a pen. Join the September PITH, I'd be honored to be paired with you.

firewhatfire

For those whom worry about what your finished pen will look like. I have been in many trades here and cherish each that I have received. Do not feel that any pen you can make will not be worthy of trading. I always tell whomever to just think of it as a chance to learn and have fun. Enjoy the process in each trade and by all means join.

I will gladly trade with turner new or seasoned.

Phil

penmaker1967

i feel the same way that everyone is does it should not be how the pen looks but what u learn from it we all had to start from the beginning and are still doing alot of learning at least i know that i am still learning alot and dont mine trading with a vertern turner or one just starting out.

bjbear76

Pen from Cygnet

I received my PITH pen from Mike Richards and am in total awe of what he made. The bottom portion is panga panga with maple bands. The upper barrel is a piece of grapevine that he salvaged and painstakingly created a snake with pewter and bamboo skewer. The grapes on the vine are made with aftrican blackwood dowels. The bling is made using K&S tubing and rod. The black titanium kit is finished with 7 coats of lacquer. Also in the package was a nice leather pouch, and some awesome blanks.
Mike, thank you very much. This pen will be proudly displayed in my collection.

Attachments

• 100_2257a.JPG
    100_2257a.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_2254a.JPG
    100_2254a.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 100_2250a.JPG
    100_2250a.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 100_2242a.JPG
    100_2242a.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 151

Exabian

My partner (flash88) asked for me to post what I sent so here they are. The first is a chrome press top pen dressed in Bethlehem Olive Wood. The second is a Vintage Fountain Pen in Teak Burl and Purple Heart Wood.

Attachments

• image-3315046809.jpg
    image-3315046809.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image-2886864946.jpg
    image-2886864946.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 113

CrimsonKeel

great pens everyone.
I plan on joining the next PITH and hope that turning for another pen turner will make me step up my game and hopefully improve my skill level

Exabian

Received my pen about week ago and finally got a chance to get some pics. It is a beautiful Atrax FP. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is but its beautiful and I love the finish. Defiantly will enjoy having this in my collection.

Attachments

• image-2602677560.jpg
    image-2602677560.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1134196486.jpg
    image-1134196486.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 100
  • image-614413633.jpg
    image-614413633.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image-197839634.jpg
    image-197839634.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 109

cleve

This is my July PITH Pen from lorbay (Lin Bayford), it is a beautiful Kitless Cumberland Ebonite FP, Thank You so much Lin, this will be added to my collection. This definitely makes me want to make the leap to Custom Pens

Derrick

this is one very nice pen i hope to produce one as nice as this . good job lorbay

walshjp17

Better Late Than Never

I finally received my new lens :biggrin: and was able to take a photo of the pens Pete275 (Wayne Pitrie) sent me for the July PITH.:)

The one on the left is a Triton ballpoint with an Inferno blank; both from WC. On the right is a WC Wall Street II BP with an Exotic Blanks Chequered Flag blank.

Thanks Wayne, I really like these pens and they will be part of my permanent collection.

Still need to learn how to take better photos.

Attachments

• Wayne's Pens.JPG
    Wayne's Pens.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom