July PITH Pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

From Dave Lyons from him and Daughter Rebecca

I had phoned Dave and offered to send him a pen as well as my reverse swap person Roger Porter who already received his from me he Dave sent me also a pen made by his daughter Rebecca 12 yrs who was experimenting with Canes.

Daves Pen an Atrax Buckeye Burl and Rebeccas Chickens Cane Pen.

Thanks Dave and Rebecca.

Attachments

• DSCF0009-002.jpg
    DSCF0009-002.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 363
  • DSCF0022-001.JPG
    DSCF0022-001.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 370

BSea

Here's my pen from Plantman. Jim sent a Vertex Supreme Rollerball. When I 1st opened the box, I thought he did a decal a black blank. But the lighting wasn't the best, and maybe my eyes aren't either.:rolleyes:

But he sent along a note that explained what he did. This is a polymer clay pen with a black orchid. The black part has a little silver & white mixed in that reminds me of granite, or marble. Very cool stuff!!:cool: And to top it off, put my initials on the cap. :good:

1_Pen_1.jpg

Here's a close-up of the barrel so you can see the marble effect.
1_Pen_2.jpg

And a group shot showing the pen along with the blanks he sent.
1_pen_and_blanks.jpg

Thanks JIM!!

panamag8or

Here's my pen from Jim Smith... a magnetic Zen in amboyna burl. I have never seen a Zen in person, or amboyna... now I have two new things to add to my "must get" list.:biggrin:

The pic doesn't really do justice, but I am having to dodge raindrops to get a good outside shot. Take my word for it, this pen is amazing!

My girlfriend is pretty picky about her pens, and she oohed and ahhed over this one... I better put it away!
aPITHzen_zpsfb979909.jpg

leaycraft

teaser

I just got my pen form Mr. Brooks. I have a high bar to reach for in finishing my pen for him.

I am in the process of taking pics- all I can say is please give me till the end of next week an have I got story to tell about my first PITH.

The teaser- inside out to outside in unbelievable- a gentleman like yo wouldn't believe and he has a bit of mischief in him as well.

Jon- you understand I know- wait till I can tell the whole story.

I am revamping my thoughts and Ive started anew- the last one could have been better. But to quote Baldrick- "I have a cunning plan".

more to come

Waluy

Here is the pen I received from Glen (glenspens). It is a 30cal Bolt Action dressed in Arizona Desert Ironwood. My pictures don't do it justice though this pen is beautiful.

Attachments

• PITH 002.jpg
    PITH 002.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 225
  • PITH 001.jpg
    PITH 001.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 255

Jim Burr

Banned
Received mine from Don (it's_virgil) and WOW!!!
Don, you'll have to jump in here with the correct details, but I'll have a lash. I'm thinking a full size Havana and a beautiful snakeskin casting. The scales are very large and remind me of a dragon's. Since the mirror finish is rather hard to photograph, I was able to get a nice close shot. It arrived in a very nice case and with a "spare" Sierra blank this is on it's way to the shop now!!
Thank you so much Don...this will be shown off for a long time!

Attachments

• pen big.jpg
    pen big.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 278
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 297

Harley2001

Pith form Dustygoose

It came today and it just a great looking pen done very well getting ready to ink it up tonight. And the blanks look great Thanks Dustygoose

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 309

leaycraft

The rest of the story

When I saw my PITH pairing I was excited and hoped I get someone with my level of experience- was I in for a shock. I am paired with Jonathon Brooks a master turner and caster. After exchanging information , I informed Jonathon I am a newby turner and this is my first PTIH. My pen is on its way as of today. I don't think I embarrassed myself too badly :)frown:). My effort is a Baron in sterling silver finish in Ebony. I started out with Kingwood but as I was buffing, the cap decided to part ways with the tube and- off to turn another. In some ways the Ebony is a better choice0 at least I think so.

The rest of my story is the package I received------- to say I was staring with my astonishment is an understatement. Jonathon sent a Gent Rollerball , Rhodium fittings in one of his blanks. The blank is gorgeous, unlike anything I could imagine. The workmanship is beyond what I'm up to yet- but it gives me something to work towards. But thats not all, included were 2 blanks one gold, one silver- The outside is plain but the inside (i'm sure Jonathon has a surprise inside)- I can't wait but will till I improve a bit o nmy skills ( I know I have to post pics and I will). There is more, a box marked open last- WOW - inside was a custom mini FP with magnetic cap. the generosity of Jonathon Brooks with this surprise is way beyond anything that could be expected. I will tell you all Jonathon is not to be underestimated, he did his homework. the workmanship is superb. The cap is tanslucent and sunlight makes it shimmer- but the finish! Inside and outside is finished to a standard that has to be seen to be believed.

Thank-you, I am honored to be the recipient of these masterpieces.

Attachments

• DSC_2684-2.jpg
    DSC_2684-2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC_2689-2.jpg
    DSC_2689-2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 318

Betty Fox

Beautiful PITH pen.

This year I was lucky enough to be partnered with Dave J. I say lucky because he sent me this beautiful poured pen with stamps embedded in it along with two blanks of my favorite wood, yew, two silky oak blanks, and a spalted maple blank. Thanks so much Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_0870_background.jpg
    IMG_0870_background.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 236

lorbay

Here is my pen from (peterborough66) it is a very nice piece of Cocobolo dressed in an Elelectra Roller Ball. Fit and finish is spot on. Thank you Derrick.
Lin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

sbwertz

When I saw my PITH pairing I was excited and hoped I get someone with my level of experience- was I in for a shock. I am paired with Jonathon Brooks a master turner and caster.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. My very first PITH I was had to turn a pen for Scott ...one of the founders of the board.

Sharon

leaycraft

Sharon:

Isnt it weird- Im still a beginner and I turn a pen for Jon. I won't post a pic and ruin his surprise. It came out okay- he knows is a sterling silver (plate) and ebony. finished with Drs. pen finish. I know I got the better end of the deal and a surpass in the form of a custom mini FP. I'm lucky and grinning from ear to ear.

edicehouse

Got an awesome pen from Dbledsoe. This is going on the shelf for sure. I was excited about getting a Koa and Turkish Walnut, I have been looking to get them from time to time for a while, never pulled the trigger though. Thanks.

Attachments

• pith dbledsoe.jpg
    pith dbledsoe.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

its_virgil

The pen is a Havana ballpoint and is one of my favorite ballpoint pens. Thje snake skin is from a large prairie rattlesnake skin with light green color which i have started to like really well, especially for larger pens. I just don't many large prairie skins that color. Enjoy the pen and I'm glad you like it.Do a good turn dailuy!
Don

Don, you'll have to jump in here with the correct details, but I'll have a lash. I'm thinking a full size Havana and a beautiful snakeskin casting. The scales are very large and remind me of a dragon's. Since the mirror finish is rather hard to photograph, I was able to get a nice close shot. It arrived in a very nice case and with a "spare" Sierra blank this is on it's way to the shop now!!

its_virgil

my PITH from Jim Burr

I received my July PITH from Jim Burr on my way out of town for a few days. I returned with a terrible cold and have just now felt like taking pictures and posting. My apologies to Jim for taking so long to post. The pen is a sierra with a Manatoba Maple, aka box elder, blank that has been segmented/inlayed with aluminum. The finish on the pen is top notch. I admire anyone who has the patience to cut a blank into pieces then glue them back together or even cut the slices and inlay the aluminum. I don't have that patience. I actually like these types of turnings but I can't make myself make the blanks. Thanks Jim for a very nice pen that will go well in my case of PITH pens. Jim also sent several pen blanks which I will enjoy making into pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• PITH713.jpg
    PITH713.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 213
  • pith5713.jpg
    pith5713.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 191

plantman

Here's my pen from Plantman. Jim sent a Vertex Supreme Rollerball. When I 1st opened the box, I thought he did a decal a black blank. But the lighting wasn't the best, and maybe my eyes aren't either.:rolleyes:

But he sent along a note that explained what he did. This is a polymer clay pen with a black orchid. The black part has a little silver & white mixed in that reminds me of granite, or marble. Very cool stuff!!:cool: And to top it off, put my initials on the cap. :good:

1_Pen_1.jpg

Here's a close-up of the barrel so you can see the marble effect.
1_Pen_2.jpg

And a group shot showing the pen along with the blanks he sent.
1_pen_and_blanks.jpg

Thanks JIM!!

Glad you liked it. Fantastic photos showing the details that most people would not have otherwise seen. Jim S

plantman

I had phoned Dave and offered to send him a pen as well as my reverse swap person Roger Porter who already received his from me he Dave sent me also a pen made by his daughter Rebecca 12 yrs who was experimenting with Canes.

Daves Pen an Atrax Buckeye Burl and Rebeccas Chickens Cane Pen.

Thanks Dave and Rebecca.
:RockOn: Beautiful pens!! Glad to see the younger gereration using their hands and minds for something other than video games. GOOD DAD !!! Jim S

plantman

:eek: Jim; You received a beautiful pen from Don !! The coloration in that skn is amazing. Jim S

RichF

PITH from powertool-junkie

This is the wonderful PITH pen that I received from Josh. It is a Patrizio pen dress is a fabulous piece of Thuya burl. As an added benefit, he send a custom engraved box that his wife helped with. It was a total surprise, and really pushed this exchange over the top.:biggrin:

Thank you so much Josh.

Attachments

• DSC00075.JPG
    DSC00075.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC00076.JPG
    DSC00076.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 175

plantman

This is my July Pith pen I received from Bob ( BSea ). It is a closed end Triton convertable with silver fittings and turquoise mid band and finial. He risked his life making this pen from Chechen because the bark is considered poisonous. Well, maybe not, the wood itself and dust are not harmful, but it sounded good!! It was sanded using Walnut oil and MM, than finished with Pens Plus. The wood blanks he sent along are GREAT, but the blanks he himself cast are fantastic!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you Bob !!! Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF0008 (481x640).jpg
    DSCF0008 (481x640).jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCF0001 (601x640).jpg
    DSCF0001 (601x640).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCF0002 (550x640).jpg
    DSCF0002 (550x640).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCF0003 (519x640).jpg
    DSCF0003 (519x640).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF0007 (640x475).jpg
    DSCF0007 (640x475).jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
This is my July PITH Pen from lorbay (Lin Bayford), it is a beautiful Kitless Cumberland Ebonite FP, Thank You so much Lin, this will be added to my collection. This definitely makes me want to make the leap to Custom Pens

Derrick

Attachments

• 20130725_114759.jpg
    20130725_114759.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 20130725_114844.jpg
    20130725_114844.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 20130725_114833.jpg
    20130725_114833.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 164

jsolie

Hi!

My PITH pen actually arrived a couple of weeks ago, and then things got a little crazy on the home front as my oldest son broke his fibula and badly sprained his foot on the last day of his last summer camp (he graduated HS this year). This required surgery and helping him to be able to get to where he can do more things for himself.

Anyway, Ambidex was the person with whom I was to trade pens. George sent me a beautiful bocote Mesa and some extra goodies. The depth of the finish on this pen continually amazes me.

_MG_9556-L.jpg

I'm hoping that spalted tamarind turns into something nice either tomorrow night or on Saturday.

Thanks again, George, for the pen!

LagniappeRob

Glad you like it Joe! It's a Blingless Roman harvest. Materials are Mazzuchelli "Jewel of Poseidon" Ceboplast from Exotic Blanks and white Alumalite. I was able to use an extrusion fin to form the clip piece by shaping it with sandpaper glued to popsicle sticks then micro-mesh sticks. Harder was the white bands... Just not a lot of material left. Took a couple of tries.

This is the awesome pen I received from RichF. it is a custom kitless fountain pen made from Italian acrylic. the fit and finish are flawless! Ive never had a pen collection but this is an excellent reason to start one. It really makes me want to try my hand at kitless pen turning. he also included a bunch of really cool blanks which I cant wait to use. This was my first PITH & I enjoyed it. Thanks Rich!

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 185

ericofpendom

My July PITH

I just received my PITH from Billy Tallant (Sataro) and it is fabulous. They are Algerian Briar Burl on Capri compact rollerball and FP kit in gold. The fit and finish are superb and will be an absolute keeper, (think my wife has her eye on the FP already:rolleyes:). They came presented in a twin pen case as well into the bargain. This was my first PITH and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Thank you Billy.

Eric...

Attachments

• Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

JD Combs Sr

Missing in Action

Does anyone know Kendall Northern(Kendallqn) out of Phoenix, AZ. He was my swap partner in the July PITH.:confused:

Got one PM from him on the 17th indicating that he was having some job related issues. I reply requesting his shipping address so I could ship his pen but haven't heard anything from him to date. Sure hope he is OK.

JD Combs Sr

Good news.

Ken is back and we both ship pens tomorrow.:)

Does anyone know Kendall Northern(Kendallqn) out of Phoenix, AZ. He was my swap partner in the July PITH.:confused:

Got one PM from him on the 17th indicating that he was having some job related issues. I reply requesting his shipping address so I could ship his pen but haven't heard anything from him to date. Sure hope he is OK.

dbledsoe

Here is my PITH pen from edicehouse. It is a marvelous material he made, and I can't tell you what color it is because it won't stay still long enough. No way to take a good picture of the shimmery, shifting surface. (As if I could take a good picture anyway.)
Take my word for it, it is beautiful, and the stack of blanks he included will keep me in the doghouse (shop) for a long time.
Thanks, Ed!

Attachments

• Pen1.jpg
    Pen1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Blanks.jpg
    Blanks.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 146

edicehouse

Here is my PITH pen from edicehouse. It is a marvelous material he made, and I can't tell you what color it is because it won't stay still long enough. No way to take a good picture of the shimmery, shifting surface. (As if I could take a good picture anyway.)
Take my word for it, it is beautiful, and the stack of blanks he included will keep me in the doghouse (shop) for a long time.
Thanks, Ed!

The alumilite blank included in the package is one of the "MAJ'K" blanks. Your pictures are much better than what I take.

Last edited:

Ambidex

pith

Here's my Pith pen from jsolie...Thanks John!!:biggrin: And some beautiful blanks to boot! Awesome afzelia xylay on a gold cigar with Mylar finished with several coats of woodturners finish. Very nice job and thanks again John! Best pics I could manage with my crappy set-up:redface:

Attachments

• 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 121

jyreene

Got my PITH from hobo today. It's a chrome junior gent 2 rollerball. Body is knotted English yew with Pau Rosa African Leadwood and Purple Heart with aluminum and brass segmenting. Cap I'd African Blackwood with English Yew, Walnut, Pau Rosa with aluminum segmenting.

Pen is great. Good for and leaps ahead of any CA finish I've ever done. Great segments and great figure to the woods.

Thanks Dave.

image-2868758298.jpg

image-2491511506.jpg

image-93344603.jpg

image-505145322.jpg

image-1380597388.jpg

Also came in the nice bamboo box!

Kendallqn

My Pen From JD Combs

Here's my pen I received from JD along with a box full of surprise blanks. The pictures don't do the beautiful walnut burl justice. This was my first PITH pairing an I must say I enjoyed it greatly. I got snowed under with work and almost didn't get it done but I must say it was a lot of fun and I got to meet and make a new friend. Thanks yawl for the opportunity.

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 133

glenspens

Thanks Waluy for the sweet pen ...:biggrin:the color match is nice. It's a Wall Street III w/paduak.The pen looks so much better in hand than in the pic ...I guess the person taking the pic don't help much...lol

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

jyreene

hobo got his pen and said its okay if I post pics of it as he's very busy at work.

The pen is a Virage. The cap is teak burl with maple segmenting. The base was going to be the same but EXPLODED! on the lathe. I wasn't sure what to do so I decided that since I had some regular teak lying around from an old Navy buddy that got it from a decommissioned U.S. Navy ship, with maple segmenting. However on this segmenting between the maple segments I flipped the grain of the teak to make it more interesting. Filled the SFR box with blanks and his daughter already claimed the pink ivory!

image-1255765278.jpg

image-2704824783.jpg

image-1569780873.jpg

image-3252742545.jpg

image-1969450072.jpg

Top Bottom