January PITH pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I was fortunate to be paired with John (Juteck) again! He will chime in with he details, but a beautiful HB 360 in a satin Sierra EB. I don't know who...but this pen is as light as a feather. Perfect finish and joinery. A beautiful selection of blanks filled out a great box!
Many thanks John...always a joy to receive your work!!

Attachments

• swap2.jpeg
    swap2.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 234
  • swap1.jpeg
    swap1.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 291
  • swap3.jpg
    swap3.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 215

juteck

I was fortunate to be paired with John (Juteck) again! He will chime in with he details, but a beautiful HB 360 in a satin Sierra EB. I don't know who...but this pen is as light as a feather. Perfect finish and joinery. A beautiful selection of blanks filled out a great box!
Many thanks John...always a joy to receive your work!!

Thanks for the kind words Jim! This creation was a collaboration between my father (a non pen turner) and myself. My dad has the time and patience for the laminations; I only made it round.

It's not a 360 herringbone pattern like shown in the "how-to" in the library, but more of a laminated marquette pattern, laminated using beech and walnut veneers. It was actually a challenge that my dad took upon himself after I showed him a picture from this forum of marquette-style pen that was a laser engraved pattern. My dad is a segmented turner, and often uses quilting patterns in his work, so he enjoys the challenge of how to create a new pattern in wood to match those created in fabric. This challenge was no different for him. After this one though, I don't know if he liked how small the pieces ended up being to truly segment a pen blank - I'm not sure how many more pen blank designs he'll try......:rolleyes: although, he was very interested to see what pattern emerged after going from square to round.....

Last edited:

toddlajoie

Here are a couple of photos of the great pen that was sent to me by Jim S. (plantman). It is a gold Jr. Gent 1, with a fantastic piece of spalted stained Oak Burl, which he was also generous enough to send an additional blank of, which you can see in the shots with the other blanks. The other blanks, are fantastic in their own right. a HUGE pink Ivory blank, B&W Ebony, Curly Maple, Spalted Maple, & Spanish Olive. I may be forgetting a couple also...

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have finally got his pen done, and I'm hoping to get it in the mail by tomorrow. He won't get it before the end of the month, but I think it will be worth the wait...

Attachments

• 2014 Jan PITH from Plantman 1421 (sm).jpg
    2014 Jan PITH from Plantman 1421 (sm).jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 692
  • 2014 Jan PITH from Plantman 1424 (sm).jpg
    2014 Jan PITH from Plantman 1424 (sm).jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 677

Karl_99

Pair of Beautiful Pens

Ed (Edohmann) sent me two beautiful pens. The one on the left is a Manhattan pen with black ti and gold hardware wrapped in a truffle blank from George (Robutacion). The one on the right is a slimline with gold hardware wrapped in pink ivory and topped with a cancer awareness clip in honor of my mother, who is a cancer survivor. Both pens have great finishes. He also included the other half of the truffle blank and a large piece of spalted pecan.

This was my first PITH and I had a lot of fun. Great job Ed! Thanks

plantman

Here are a couple of photos of the great pen that was sent to me by Jim S. (plantman). It is a gold Jr. Gent 1, with a fantastic piece of spalted stained Oak Burl, which he was also generous enough to send an additional blank of, which you can see in the shots with the other blanks. The other blanks, are fantastic in their own right. a HUGE pink Ivory blank, B&W Ebony, Curly Maple, Spalted Maple, & Spanish Olive. I may be forgetting a couple also...

:bananen_smilies051: Glad you enjoyed the pen and blanks Todd. Great photos. Be watching the mail for your creation. Thanks!!! Jim S

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Ed (Edohmann) sent me two beautiful pens. The one on the left is a Manhattan pen with black ti and gold hardware wrapped in a truffle blank from George (Robutacion). The one on the right is a slimline with gold hardware wrapped in pink ivory and topped with a cancer awareness clip in honor of my mother, who is a cancer survivor. Both pens have great finishes. He also included the other half of the truffle blank and a large piece of spalted pecan.

This was my first PITH and I had a lot of fun. Great job Ed! Thanks

Thanks Karl,
I had a lot of fun too & really enjoyed our conversations. I'm always a little intimidated by all the fantastic work posted here at IAP, so I really appreciate your kind words.

This was the first time I've tried to turn George's "truffles" and I really enjoyed that experience. It's neat stuff.

Can't wait to see my pen Friday - your teaser really looks nice.
Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here's the awesome pen & blanks that I received from Karl (Karl_99) today. It's a Black Ti Cigar Pen wrapped in spalted flame box elder root. The colors and grain patterns of this thing are just amazing all around the barrel & Karl's CA/BLO finish perfect - it really brings out the colors & grain.

I'm gonna have fun with these blanks too: Black Cherry Burl, Honduran Rosewood Burl, Apple Burl, Curly Maple, English Brown Oak and Spalted Tupelo.

I feel like I won a BASH prize a day early.
Thanks Karl, I hope we get paired up again sometime.

Ed

Attachments

• Pens & Blanks from Karl.jpg
    Pens & Blanks from Karl.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 218

toddlajoie

Glad you enjoyed the pen and blanks Todd. Great photos. Be watching the mail for your creation. Thanks!!! Jim S

Got the box put together today, but couldn't get to the Post Office in time... Should be able to get it out first thing in the morning...

Till then, someone mentioned teaser photos...

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 457

plantman

Glad you enjoyed the pen and blanks Todd. Great photos. Be watching the mail for your creation. Thanks!!! Jim S

Got the box put together today, but couldn't get to the Post Office in time... Should be able to get it out first thing in the morning...

Till then, someone mentioned teaser photos...

attachment.php

:eek: Todd; That's not a teaser photo. That's what my work bench looks like most of the time. Jim S

denniszoomy

I have Recived my Pen from Chuck (truckfixr). It is just beautiful. The light brown wood is ancient kauri,the black is bog oak and the crème colored bands are mammoth ivory. Ancient Kauri wood is 50,000 years old from what I have read. And Mammoth ivory? Where do you find mammoth Ivory? I hope his local museum is not missing some wood and mammoth ivory. The pen is very smooth I need to learn his secret on doing this. He also sent me a handful of blanks as well. Thank you so much Chuck.

Dennis

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 197

Simply.Sylvia

Received a beautiful fountain pen from Jeweler53! I was and am blown away! I could not have made a pen more suited to my hearts desire, better than Richard. He included a bunch of new blanks as well, all beautiful! And he included extra ink in my favorite color! Thanks again jeweler53

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 189

Charlie_W

My box to Tieflyer went in the mail yesterday..due to be delivered Thursday. We will see if it gets caught in the snow storm:frown:

plantman

This is the pen I received from Toddlajoie along with the generous box of blanks, several of them are not shown because I coldn't wait to turn them. The kit started out as a Sierra/Wall St. 2, but it has been knocked apart, had most of it's outside removed, and put back together in a manner that was never intended by the manufacturer. Ca finish on the highly figured Black Ash Burl. After looking at it several times, I had to take it apart to see all the modifcations that were done to it. From the outside it looks like a sleek factory kit. I thank Todd for the many interesting blanks he sent. Some of these woods I have only read about, and never held in my hands. Two of the blanks, not pictured, were the segmented Walnut/Maple/ Paduk (I have a photo in the show us your segmented thread) and a Austrailan Red Gum that I turned into pens the same day I received them. One thing is stumpping me though, I have looked in all my tree books, and can not find a Maple Firewood tree listed anywhere. Again, thank you Todd, everything will be well used and enjoyed. Jim S

P.S. I added the photo of the finished segmented blank you sent me in case you didn't see it. It's a Big Ben Pencil kit for my shop. Thanks, again Todd!!!! Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0004 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0004 (800x600).jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCF0001 (640x274).jpg
    DSCF0001 (640x274).jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF0002 (600x375).jpg
    DSCF0002 (600x375).jpg
    246 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF0001 (600x585).jpg
    DSCF0001 (600x585).jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF0005 (316x800).jpg
    DSCF0005 (316x800).jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

truckfixr

Dennis went above and beyond. He sent me not one, but two beautiful pens. An Olympian Elite 2 with a segmented blank made from Kingwood and Zebrawood. Also an Atlas made with one of his home brew steampunk blanks. On top of that he filled up the box with a sweet assortment of blanks. Thanks again Dennis!

mystery swap 003.jpg

My photography skills don't do justice to these beautiful pens.

Attachments

• mystery swap 004.jpg
    mystery swap 004.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

hard hat

this is the absolutely stunning jr majestic I received from Mike (spiderman). thank you so much, your work is fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_0620 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_0620 (800x533).jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0622 (800x472).jpg
    IMG_0622 (800x472).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0623 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_0623 (800x533).jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0621 (800x428).jpg
    IMG_0621 (800x428).jpg
    126 KB · Views: 113

Spiderman

Thank you Brett, I am so glad you liked it. I checked on line and see that your pen is only about 2 miles from my house but Canada Post is saying it is going to take them until Tuesday to deliver it. The anticipation is killing me!

JCochrun

sshering did an amazing job. I am so proud of the work he did. It's a Black Ti Jr Gent II buckeye blank. Stabilized with cactus juice dyed with an opaque blue and the wipe on treatment with red alumalite dye and a CA finish.

It is a perfect fit. Buckeye wood with a red dye and the Black Ti looks like a gray that matches with the colors of my favorite team, The Ohio State Buckeyes.

Jim

Penn Valley, CA

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 138

Ambidex

pith

Here's my jackpot from Brooks803...amazing blanks and beautiful custom rollerball dressed in black ebonite and buckeye burl. Sorry about the crappy pics Jonathon..everything looks so much better than I can show in my pictures. I'm looking forward to turning these blanks, Christmas in February!:biggrin::biggrin: Thank you very much Jonathon

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 138

plantman

:bananen_smilies046: After looking through the photos in the January Pith thread, I have come to the conclusion that we have some very talanted and skilled people that take part in these events !!!! The pens are fantastic, the blanks out of his world, and the degree of skills and generousity of the craftsman behind them is first class!!! I enjoy taking part in these trades and looking forward to the next one. Jim S

Brooks803

Happy you like it George! I've been without power for 3 days +. I'll be charging my camera battery and get some pics taken of the pens you sent my way. They're beautiful!

Brooks803

PITH from Ambidex

I've had these in my possession for a while now. I haven't had a chance to take any decent pics until today! I was lucky enough to not just get 1 awesome pen...but 2! Thank you George. They're both beauties!

First up is a Curly Koa Jr. Gent II RB:

DSC03934 (593x700).jpg DSC03935 (541x700).jpg DSC03937 (580x700) (2).jpg

Second is a Sierra with my all time favorite Black Ash Burl:

DSC03928 (612x700).jpg DSC03930 (677x700).jpg

I have them both sitting proudly on display with all my other PITH pens. They'll get added to the weekly rotation :biggrin:

Charlie_W

My Pith from Tyflier

Due to unforseen circumstances, we are a little late in completing our Pith swap and I am just getting around to posting some pics.

Not only did my box from Jeff contain a pen and some blanks but also a "bonus Prize"!
This awesome pen is a Caballero from Smitty's with a Spalted Maple blank with a friction finish!
Tha "Bonus Prize" was this cool little bowl made from Sycamore!
What a surprise to find bowl in the small flat rate box!
THANKS JEFF!!

Attachments

• Tyflier pith 1.JPG
    Tyflier pith 1.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Tyflier pith 2.JPG
    Tyflier pith 2.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Charlie_W

My Pith to Tyflier

Here is my pith swap to Tyflier.

The pen is a Chrome Zen with a Birdseye Yellow Cedar Blank with my turned CA finish. The Birdseye Yellow Cedar smelled wonderful while turning!
I also threw in a few blanks to give Jeff something to keep him busy! :biggrin:

Attachments

• CW Pith 1.JPG
    CW Pith 1.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 97
  • CW Pith 2.JPG
    CW Pith 2.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 92
  • CW Pith 3.JPG
    CW Pith 3.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 110
Top Bottom