International PITH Shipping Reminder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Those of us shipping our PITH internationally, be sure to mark the package as a "gift" and not "trade" on the customs form.

You may save your partner a lot of time, money and headaches with his local customs agents.

I just started looking over the customs forms for my PITH and thought I would share.

This ends this public service announcement. Now, GET BACK TO MAKING BEAUTIFUL PENS!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

I think you still have to put a value on the package. Just remember since it is a gift, don't put down a large pricetag or it may still cost them some custom taxes...

bgibb42

I think you still have to put a value on the package. Just remember since it is a gift, don't put down a large pricetag or it may still cost them some custom taxes...

Basically the value of the components (kit) and the blank, would that be correct?

burr

This is a good thread, I bet there are several of us on here who have never shipped out of the states. It would be beneficial I think if some of you "wiser" folks chime in on hints for overseas shipping, what materials are not acceptable, how to value so as not to add any trouble for the receiving person. I did a trade on another site and being I have never shipped anything out of the US I shipped a piece of Antler only to find out you are not supposed to do that.

THarvey

Basically the value of the components (kit) and the blank, would that be correct?

Most countries have different duty rates for individual and commercial interest.

"Gift" is usually considered to be from an individual (basically, a personal gift).

"Trade" is more often considered a commercial interest, regardless of the shipper.

BigShed

Just a bit of info from the other side of the pond.

Australia doesn't levy any duties or taxes on parcels up to $A1000.

There are however a few restrictions on what can be brought in, mainly to do with quarantine. Most animal type materials are prohibited, eg antler, snake skins etc. Also wood with bark on it. When these items are found in a package, yes packages can be opened by customs or quarantine, the whole package is confiscated and the recipient can be fined.

ToddMR

Just a bit of info from the other side of the pond.

Australia doesn't levy any duties or taxes on parcels up to $A1000.

There are however a few restrictions on what can be brought in, mainly to do with quarantine. Most animal type materials are prohibited, eg antler, snake skins etc. Also wood with bark on it. When these items are found in a package, yes packages can be opened by customs or quarantine, the whole package is confiscated and the recipient can be fined.

Good thing I marked mine as gift and valued at $60.00 then lol. None of the blanks I sent to Australia have bark or animal products, so I should be good there too. If they do open it, I hope they are gentle! lol.

Top Bottom