if you Did Not Enter A contest In the Bash this year.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Why didnt You Enter a Contest in the Bash this year?

• The Weather, it was too cold

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • No time - Life got in the way

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • I didnt see a contest my pen would qualify to enter

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • I dont enter contests

Votes: 16 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 24 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The Bash is over except for the follow up details on prizes for the most part.
IF you did not enter pen in one of the contests or a blank in the blank making contest why not? Was it the:
Weather, too cold?
You couldnt find a contest that the pens you make qualified to enter?
Life got in the way, Your Job or Health or any personal reason for that matter.
You dont enter contests?
You felt you couldnt win?
Any other reason?

Vote for the reason(s) you didnt enter this year if you were going to but ultimately did not.
Also leave a comment if you would and we will plug that into next years Bash etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

I intended to and was looking forward to it, then as I voted life got in the way. The wife needed cataract surgery in both eyes a week apart. With the running back and forth to the Dr. a 3 hour round trip plus waiting then having to take over many of her duties as she recuperated all added up to almost zero shop time. Looking forward to next year, hopefully nothing goes wrong.

TimS124

Definitely was a matter of life getting in the way. It's been crazy-busy this year. I'm allegedly retired, but I keep ending up busier and busier than I was when I worked (and work loved to pile on huge amounts of unpaid overtime...the "norm" in Silicon Valley).

I have ideas for next year but always have a hard time holding back a cool new design...I'd rather show it when I finish it, so entering a contest requires completing something new about the time the contests are accepting entries... :)

its_virgil

The birthday bash is a great month long activity. I've been around for all of them with my support both financially and with prize donations. But, the contests and activities are just not for me. I kept abreast on the activities and looked at the contests entries. Thanks to all who helped make the bash a success. Lots of hard work, weeks (or longer) of planning, and volunteers wired to make the bash run smoothly. I suppose I'm just a stick in the mud.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Akula

I was and still am for the most part bummed about missing it. I had looked forward all year with ideas. Then I got sick. I have not even went and looked at all the entries yet.

Cmiles1985

I didn't enter any this year. Hopefully I will next year. As I voted, life got in the way. Trying to buy a second home and trying to not get too mixed up in the shop so it's not as hard to pack, my customer having a turnaround with multiple startup issues (long hours), and running a couple of contests kept me from wanting to get involved in making something for another contest. My participation this year was volunteering. Next year, I will participate and volunteer :)

cal91666

For me it was a matter of the weather being too cold or wet to enter a pen. I didn't feel I could put my best effort out if I couldn't be comfortable in the shop. I did play the trivia contest.

Last edited:

flyitfast

I answered "other" because most of my pens disappear before I can get a decent picture of them. Also, all my decent pens get seen and therefore, by the rules, are not qualified for the contests.
I need to look at this year's contests, start making an appropriate pen now, and then put it away until next year.
Seeing all the pens this year has been very inspiring. Hopefully I can come up with something worthy of being in one of the contests.
Thanks for all the planners do to put this Bash on every year, to the vendors for all they provide, and to the contestants for displaying their skills and imagination.
gordon

JD Combs Sr

I answered "No time...". Had a lot of flat work requests/orders over the past few months but look forward to future contests etc. Just about ready to get back into some pens.

MikeL

I entered last year and enjoyed. I still enjoyed this year as a spectator. I planned on entering a pen. Even had the design in mind. I just couldn't find the time this year.

Rink

Like others, it's partly about not having the time. But mainly, I don't feel like my pens are comparable to many that I see entered in the contests. I'm still a rookie. And I don't really care about "winning", I would enter just for the fun and to say that I did it. But I think my entry should at least be worthy. But I love looking at all the great ones that were entered, very inspiring!

I really appreciate having the IAP.

KenV

The bias of the contests makes them less than attractive to me.

The bias is a practical one dealing with the effort and skill involved and needed to take photographs that well represent the work. That is not an area where I am willing to put a significant effort - there are other things I enjoy much better.

So I have passed - and expect that I will continue to pass on the contests.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
By the way if you prefer to share your reasons with out posting them in the thread send them to me in a PM. I appreciate all responses, Thank You to all for responding.

Last edited:

preacherman

This year I was planning on entering two contests. The intermediate pen turning and the tube on casting contest. The intermediate pen contest because that is where I feel I am as a pen turner. I was disappointed to find out that contest was not included this year. I had a kit set aside that did not meet requirements to enter into another contest. With the casting contest and all the discussion with the rules and not even making it into a pen it just lost my interest.

eajacobson

I was an "Other". Like Rink, I didn't feel I was up to creating something worthy of entering. It isn't that I didn't think I could win, I didn't want to put something out there that wasn't even in the same league. Even the entries in the Youth contest blew me away.

Now, having been through a Bash and following the different contests, I think another year of personal development, and some ideas I've got bouncing around, will get me to try something next year. Of course, that is if time permits for all of the above.

Ed

FredWillU

This past year for me has been health issues.....fighting cancer. Trying to get back to turning is tough. This is a battle! Maybe next year.

CaptainJane

Reasons

I am a new pen turner, and enjoy looking at the IAP website almost daily. When I first read about the BASH, I thought it was a physical event being held in some secret location, that only the most elite members knew about. It was not clear that the BASH was an online event open to everyone. Once the voting "topics" started showing up, I figured it out - eventually. It was great to look at all the entries in all the different categories for the BASH, and I even voted in several categories. From all those beautiful pens showcased throughout the BASH, I have enough ideas and pen dreams to last awhile - at least until next year.

Now that I know a little more about it, I can make plans for next year. In fact, I think I have an entry for Ugliest Pen already.

Thanks to all who worked to make the 2015 BASH a success.

Chasper

I have great appreciation and loyalty for IAP and I recognize and support the need for all of us as members to financially contribute. The reason I joined IAP and the reason I continue to visit the IAP site is to learn from the many knowledgeable members who so generously share. I try to do my part by sharing my experience in areas where I'm qualified to contribute.

I did not join and am not involved in an ongoing way for the social aspects of IAP. I find the entire bash month to be a necessary distraction. For that reason I don't visit much during the bash, and I don't enter contests. I make my annual monetary donation to IAP either before or after the bash.

Please don't consider this to be in any way a criticism of the bash, I truly appreciate the sponsors and volunteers who work hard to make it happen. I recognize the financial need for the bash and even the community building aspects. Thanks to all of you. It is just not for me.

epigolucky

Life got in the way. Sick family member, furbaby crossed the rainbow bridge...

I'll be ready to roll next year! I loved looking at everyones entries and cant wait to participate.

walshjp17

Health problems starting in early December and running throughout January and February (lingering into March) have kept me out of the shop ... the weather notwithstanding :wink:

Top Bottom