FALL 2012 PITH SIGN-UP AND RULES

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!

Fall 2012 P.I.T.H. (Pen In The Hat) & Blank Exchange

What is the PITH? Understandably, newer turners and/or IAP members might not know. Let's start here: PITH=Pen in the hat. In a perfect world we would all get together and place a pen in the hat. Each member would reach in and select a pen at random to become there own. Now while not geographically feasible to all meet, next best thing is what we are doing. Everyone who signs up will be assigned to send someone else a pen. In return, they will receive a pen from someone else. That is it in a "nutshell". I hope that clears things up. Feel free to PM me with specific questions if you are still unsure.

[FONT=&amp]Here are the rules:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]1.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] Sign up is from now (as of this posting) through [/FONT][FONT=&amp]September 30, 2012.[/FONT][FONT=&amp] This gives ample time to get folks signed up. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]You do not need to wait until the pairings are posted to begin work. Your partners name is irrelevant to the pen as this post will have already given you the needed guidelines to begin.[/FONT]
This is mainly a suggestion for those in cold climates with no heat in the shop and those who will become too busy as the holidays approach.
[FONT=&amp]PITH pens will be [/FONT][FONT=&amp]due to[/FONT][FONT=&amp] your recipient by [/FONT][FONT=&amp]December 15th, 2012[/FONT][FONT=&amp]. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]If this is not enough time to complete a pen, perhaps this is not the event for you[/FONT][FONT=&amp].[/FONT][FONT=&amp] Keep in mind this is an international site so you may be paired out of country. This will require better planning due to the longer shipping times.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I know some of you are opposed to themes, but I like them, so I have elected to make this years' theme:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"Do what you want". :smile-big:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I hope this "theme" works for everyone. :wink:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I encourage everyone to "think outside the box". This is a great chance to try something new. Whether it is a new pen style, segmenting, or use of an alternate material to that which you normally use, this is a great time to push your skills to the next level.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]2.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] Have FUN sharing your work.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]3.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] It can be any style shape or size you want. Your experience level is not important. Make the best pen you can, and I'm sure your partner will treasure it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]4.[/FONT][FONT=&amp] All pens will be made from the material(s) of your own choosing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]5.[/FONT][FONT=&amp] In this event I am combining it with a blank exchange so you will need to add at least 2 blanks to your box. The blanks should be of normal, pen blank size, and can be whatever you want. Your favorite wood, your favorite cast, inlay, decals, segments, ETC.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]6.[/FONT][FONT=&amp] Make sure your partner gets their pen and blank on or before[/FONT][FONT=&amp] December15th, 2012[/FONT][FONT=&amp] to avoid any Ill feelings and to avoid a bad wrap for yourself.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]7.[/FONT][FONT=&amp] I will have the list out [/FONT][FONT=&amp]by October 3, 2012 if not earlier.[/FONT][FONT=&amp] Last but not least, be creative and I repeat,[/FONT][FONT=&amp] HAVE FUN!!!!![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Per the forum rules, in order to participate your user profile must contain your:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]real first and last name,[/FONT][FONT=&amp]city[/FONT][FONT=&amp] AND [/FONT][FONT=&amp]state of residence or location identifier appropriate to your country of residence. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Be sure to do this [/FONT][FONT=&amp]PRIOR[/FONT][FONT=&amp] to signing up.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Those who sign up with incomplete info will have there name dropped from the list during the pairing.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]***[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]If you have failed to follow through with IAP activities in the past don't bother attempting to join this one as your name will be removed prior to posting pairs. If you don't think you will be able to complete the pen, do not waste our time and energy by signing up.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]We are mostly adults here please act accordingly.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]If you signed up by mistake, want to back out, or need to withdraw. Please contact me (hunter-27)[/FONT][FONT=&amp] PRIOR [/FONT][FONT=&amp]to the parings being posted, and your name will be discretely removed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Once the pairings are posted, plan to honor your obligation.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I will handle any "exceptions" on an as needed, individual basis.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]No matter what, (sometimes "life happens"), keep in contact with your swap partner up until the swap is [/FONT][FONT=&amp]complete.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Nothing causes more frustration than not knowing what is going on. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Besides your partner, keep me informed of any concerns. I cannot help you if I do not know there is help needed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Teaser photos are encouraged. They are fun and peak the interest of everyone before the actual picture of the pen is posted. Please don't post pictures of the completed pen until your partner confirms that they have received it. (ruins the surprise) Post teaser photos directly in this thread. I will get some help setting up a different place to post finished pen photos for once the swaps are completed. That will be announced later.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Sign up here if you want to participate. [/FONT]

Justturnin

Ohh I am in on this. Not sure if you could do this but I am willing to trade overseas. Maybe volunteering can help others out that may not be able to.

Last edited:

firewhatfire

Since I have wasted 16 hours getting ready for the the Best of Contest and now having to start over........I guess I could give away the one that has caused so much trouble. Or maybe I could use the my 2nd place pen from the Ugly pen contest this year.......Oh the ideas I have for this one.

Looking forward to this.....guess I should say put me in.

Phil

Top Bottom