December PITH / Ornament Swap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

It's time for another Pen Swap.

So here's a little history (for you guys and girls that have been around for a while feel free to skip to the details section). When pen turners used to have real world meetings it was a common practice for everyone to bring a pen and put it in a hat. The hat was then passed around and everyone drew out a pen that they then kept. This was called a PITH (Pen In The Hat). Since we are an online forum, that really isn't possible. So we do the next best thing and use a random number generator to simulate drawing from a hat. Now in a true PITH you would get a pen from one person and send a pen to another person. However for this event we are using the Swap format. You will get a pen from the same person you send one to. Now it has been common practice for the PITH / Swaps to have a central theme and this one is no different. The theme for this event is "Classic / Vintage / Old". This is pretty wide open. I'm thinking about maybe doing a walnut maple segmented pen. For me maple and walnut are a classic combo. There are also some pen kits with classic in the name. There are plenty of vintage materials like ceboplast and ebonite. You kitless folks could maybe make your own version of a some of the old classics (Parkers, Watermans, ect.) Lots of possibilities with this one. It seems that I'm most PITH evens it has also been a common practice to trade a few blanks along with the pens. I like this idea so we're going to do some trading too…only we're trading blanks. We're trading Christmas ornaments. Peace on earth, good will toward man and all that good stuff. Now here is the most important part. This is event is open to all levels of pen turners and I strongly encourage the newer pen turners to participate. One of the main purposes of these types of events is to grow the community and build camaraderie among the members. So don't feel like your pens aren't good enough. Just do the best you can and have some fun. Signup start now. Just post in this thread. Signups close Oct. 31. (If it's after Oct. 31 and you're reading this and want to participate, PM me. We may be able to work something out. No guarantees). Shortly thereafter I will post the swap list. The list will be generated using a random number generator. You will then contact your partner and trade info (mailing address, favorite color, names of your date from the sophomore dance, etc.) You will then have until Dec. 15 to get your pen and ornament to them. Now keep in mind we all get busy this time of year and the mail is a little slower than usual so don't wait until the last minute. Now we understand that things come up. We can deal with them, but communication is critical. So if for some reason you can't get a pen done or are going to be late, let me and your partner know and we can work through them. I promise I won't cut more than one of your fingers off as punishment! In regards to shipping, you may have to ship internationally. If you are unwilling to ship internationally I ask that you do not sign up for this event. In the past, turners in the states have been able to request that they only ship domestically. However I don't feel this is fair to our members abroad and this is, after all, an international association. Normal IAP rules apply.

Details
Theme: Classic / Vintage / Old
Also trading : Ornaments
Pens to Partner: Dec. 15

With that……Let the sign up begin!

D.Oliver

I ran a similar PITH / Ornament Exchange in 2014 also. If you would like some inspiration you can see some of the pens and ornaments from that event here.

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Just some food for thought.....
Youtubers Alan Stratton and Carl Jacobson host a Christmas Ornament Challenge every year. To enter their contest you must make a short youtube video showing off your ornament. Since you will be making an ornament anyway, you may want to kill two birds with one stone. Here is a link to the details of their contest. You can also look at video from previous years. Their contest runs from Nov.1 to Nov. 30.

bobleibo

Ok, I'm in.........just make sure you pair me up with someone who has very low expectations.

bobleibo

Ok, I'm in.........just make sure you pair me up with someone who has very low expectations.

You can't fool me twice Bob. You forget I've seen you pens in person.

Ha! Those weren't my pens. Everyone who thought up the idea of me showing up in Faith sent one to me to take along and show you. You can thank Mark, Chuck, Wayne, Ernie, Steve, Vic, Edgar, Mike and the guy who owns that store across the street from the bar we met at. They all contributed the pens and the planning to the "surprise". You really didn't think I was smart enough to pull that one off on my own, did you?

Even a blind chicken finds a kernel of corn now and then!
:biggrin: I'm still looking for that kernel. :redface: I've never made an ornament. Might be a good time to start.

Hey Chuck, I've got you covered! Check out the latest ad from Woodcraft....just in time for you to learn how to do an ornament!

Attachments

• Capture 5.JPG
    Capture 5.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 20161018_224234.jpg
    20161018_224234.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 206

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Bob! I want to go to Faith some day, and meet my idol. :wink: I actually saw some utube vids on making inside out ornaments. No kits needed. :biggrin:

Sign me up Derek! I'll try to make somebody a couple of pieces of junk :biggrin:

bobleibo

Thanks Bob! I want to go to Faith some day, and meet my idol. :wink: I actually saw some utube vids on making inside out ornaments. No kits needed. :biggrin:

Sign me up Derek! I'll try to make somebody a couple of pieces of junk :biggrin:

Thanks for the compliment Chuck but I doubt I'll be back there for quite some time so you might be waiting for awhile.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Thanks for the compliment Chuck but I doubt I'll be back there for quite some time so you might be waiting for awhile.
No! I meant the other idol. :rolleyes:

bobleibo

No! I meant the other idol. :rolleyes:

I am beyond crushed! You told me you were done with the Kardashians .... geez!

C'mon everyone, sign up or I might get stuck swapping with Chuck !!!

stonepecker

Hey Chuck...........lets make the next surprise meeting in Utah. We could even hog tie the guy from Faith and kidnap him. Maybe we should all plan a weekend in Utah...... make it in March when I could attend. Or wait a couple of years till I retire.

Feeling all my 63 years today for some reason. Tired beyond belief.

bobleibo

Hey Chuck...........lets make the next surprise meeting in Utah. We could even hog tie the guy from Faith and kidnap him. Maybe we should all plan a weekend in Utah...... make it in March when I could attend. Or wait a couple of years till I retire.

What surprise? Come on up, the door is wide open and March is the perfect time for some great spring skiing and maybe some of that pen turning stuff I keep hearing about, always wanted to learn how to do that.......just make sure you ask your wives first! The last thing I need is more women mad at me!

Attachments

• wife says ok.jpg
    wife says ok.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 195

D.Oliver

What surprise? Come on up, the door is wide open and March is the perfect time for some great spring skiing and maybe some of that pen turning stuff I keep hearing about, always wanted to learn how to do that.......just make sure you ask your wives first! The last thing I need is more women mad at me!

You got to be so careful making offers like that. You never know when I just might take you up on it!:biggrin:

bobleibo

You got to be so careful making offers like that. You never know when I just might take you up on it!:biggrin:

Like I said, the door is wide open. Bring skis, a mountain bike or golf clubs and lots of energy! Lots and lots of energy~

Last edited:
Top Bottom