December 2013 PITH Sign Up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hard hat

December 2013 PITH

As with all IAP activities, the
IAP Activity Rules apply to this PITH (the member must have his or her first and last name posted in their profile and be able to be contacted through the IAP's private messaging system or email. The member must have completed all previous IAP activity obligations).

PITH stands for Pen In The Hat. If we could ever be so lucky to find ourselves in one big room we could have a real PITH. Everyone would put one of their pens into a hat. The hat would be passed among us. Each of us would draw a pen out of the hat to keep as our own.

THIS IS NOT A TRUE PITH – it is more like a swap – you will get randomly paired with another participant to exchange pens and whatever else you may or may not choose to include in the package (nothing additional is required). The PITH chairperson assigns each participant a number, uses
www.random.org and randomizes the list of numbers 5 times. Two lists are generated to create the final list of swap partners. The results will then be published in a new thread on December 1st.

THE THEME(S) FOR THIS PITH: This PITH is a bit unlike all other PITH swaps before in that there will actually be TWO running in parallel:

1. KITLESS. That's right, a kitless PITH. The community of kitless pen makers has been taking off and there are now enough, we think, to support this. So, for this to work we need to define what 'kitless' is. This is NOT and end-all definition, but solely for the purpose of this PITH. To qualify for kitless your pen must have these attributes:
a. One pair (male and female) threads that you have cut
b. No more than three manufactured components, sourced either from kits or purchased individually as spare parts for kit pens. Ink delivery (RB. FP feed and nib, ballpoint), pocket clips, and transmissions are exempt from this three part count. However, you are encouraged to minimize the number of kit sourced components.
c. The pen must have either a cap or a retractable tip

2. MILITARY. This is so that all who would like to participate in the PITH but are not excluded. Use your creativity and available resources to make a pen that represents the military. We have all been impacted to some extent by the military, regardless of which country we live.

Kitless will be paired with kitless, military themed with the like. When you sign up, please specify which you are entering, or both.

If you sign up for this swap you are obligating yourself to complete it. We understand that things happen and something could come up that would prohibit you from completing a pen for this swap. If that should happen please immediately inform your swap partner, the event coordinator and the Activities Manager. The sooner you let us know the easier it is to find someone to take your place.

There is a possibility that you will need to ship the pen you make internationally. Be aware that some countries have custom laws that prohibit wood from being shipped into their country. Please take this into consideration if you get paired with someone from another country. If you absolutely can't ship overseas please let me know.

The main objectives of this PITH are to HAVE FUN and to FOSTER FRIENDSHIPS among members. The IAP is made up of individuals of varying levels of skills, abilities, and resources. There have been instances in the past where some members who participated in a swap felt that the pen they received was not equal to the pen they provided. If the possibility of receiving a pen from someone who does not possess the same level of skill, ability, or resources as you will bother you, please do not sign up. We do ask you make your best effort at this pen, that doesn't mean it has to be your GREATEST EVER pen, but that you make your best effort.

You will have until Saturday November 30 to sign up or until 80 people sign up – which ever happens first. Your swap needs to be completed by January 15th.

Now - lets have some fun and start signing up!

Brett Ransom (Hard Hat)

edstreet

OK so when is the pen due to be shipped to our partner? I saw signup deadline is nov 30. I am tempted to join the 'kitless' but may hold out for a 'custom' instead :)

hard hat

You will have until Saturday November 30 to sign up or until 80 people sign up – which ever happens first. Your swap needs to be completed by January 15th.

The last bold part of the OP.

edstreet

The last bold part of the OP.

Oh DUH! Dunce cap for me on that one, I read it about 4 times and did not see it.

Well sign me up for the custom section.

jyreene

I'll have to think hard in this one and convince my wife to give me shop time before I go. That said I'll sign up for kitless but if I don't get the shop time I'll post here and let you know I can't. If I do I'll probably have Jonathon Brooks mail it out since I won't be here when the list comes out. Either way I'll let you know before the deadline and if I get it I'll have it finished before then too!

Brooks803

I'll have to think hard in this one and convince my wife to give me shop time before I go. That said I'll sign up for kitless but if I don't get the shop time I'll post here and let you know I can't. If I do I'll probably have Jonathon Brooks mail it out since I won't be here when the list comes out. Either way I'll let you know before the deadline and if I get it I'll have it finished before then too!

We'll get that pen made no matter what Ty. :biggrin:

jyreene

And my wife gave me shop time permission! I'm in. It will be left with Jonathon for shipping to my pith pairing! Thanks Jonathon! So kitless it is for me!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Not here though. Since its a sticky only in the activities manager forum it would never hit the front page for maximum exposure.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Here we unabashedly bump all sorts of threads. Some of us are just sneakier about it:biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The problem stems from most users accessing IAP through the front page rather than going through other avenues like the "new Posts" or under "quick links*todays posts " or just searching the forums.

edstreet

True, that's why I said post it in some global area, like on the very top of the page by the logo and the links. That way no matter what page you are on you will see it.

jyreene

Yeah. I bump threads all the time. Well one. And that's because I really really want some copper Junior gent 2s! (Yes I know the baron is almost the same but it's not).

Joe S.

One of the first IAP activitys I saw was because somebody bumped it when I was on the front page. I'm just returning the favor :wink:

Top Bottom