Dec. PITH / Ornament Exchange Picture Thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sataro

My Christmas PITH has arrived!

Package arrived this afternoon. Buford (W5BRW) sent me a great package. The ornament was the perfect size for our Christmas tree. Wife has already hung the ornament on our tree. The pen was very impressive...nice segmenting job. What really grabbed my attention on the pen was the finish applied to the wood. The finish has a nice glittery shine to it. Not sure how Buford got that glittery effect but I like it. Some nice blanks were in the package plus a clock insert. That was a pleasant surprise. I've never made a clock before so that will a first for me.

Very enjoyable PITH swap!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SSobel

Followup pictures

20161220_154024.jpg

20161220_154049.jpg

Pictures from from My Pith...Look at that gorgeous Pen!

penmaker1967

got my pen from Brandon and he did a very good job on the pen as well as the ornament the pen was a slim line that was made out of 2 different woods and the ornament looked to be out of cherry. this young man will go far in the pen making

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My PITH Package Arrived Today

I received my PITH package from Chuck (truckfixr) today and I couldn't be happier.

The pen is a gorgeous rollerball done up in ebonite with nice, contrasting end cap segments. Chuck also sent along 3 ebonite blanks plus an ancient Kauri blank and a gorgeous gold leaf in PR blank.

I've never turned ebonite before, but it was on my "to do" list. Now I have a nice pen made from ebonite and I don't have to buy blanks to make some more. I'm also looking forward to the working with the gold leaf & Kauri blanks.

The ornament is just beautiful - it's about 5" long, perfectly proportioned and has a superb finish. It reflects so much light that it's hard to get a decent photo with my simple setups. I think the top section is sycamore, but I'm not sure about the other wood. Hopefully Chuck will chime in with more information on the pen & ornament.

Thanks so much Chuck - this was a fun PITH and I was glad to get to know you a little better.

I shipped Chuck's pen & ornament yesterday, so hopefully he will receive it tomorrow or Friday.

These pen & ornament PITHS are my favorite. Thanks to Derek for organizing this one.

Attachments

• Dec 2016 - From Truckfixr.jpg
    Dec 2016 - From Truckfixr.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Pen & Ornament.jpg
    Pen & Ornament.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 218

Scotty

Ken (Kenv) sent me a beautiful modified cigar pen. The finish feels great in the hand. Also sent a beautiful ornament and some sweet blanks. These swaps are my favorite thing about this place. Not because I get stuff, but because I meet some great friends. Merry Christmas to you all.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 193

D.Oliver

Got my package from bedangerous. Check it out.

Here are the two pens he sent me. Mitch tells me these are his 19th and 20th pens, so he is off to a great start.
IMG_0145 (1024x576).jpg

IMG_0146 (1024x576).jpg
This one is Bristlecone Pine.
IMG_0147 (1024x576).jpg
The dark line on this one was caused by lightning hitting the tree!

IMG_0148 (1024x576).jpg
Here is the ornament and a small mountain of blanks.
Thanks Mitch!

truckfixr

Pith Package From Edgar

The package Edgar sent me arrived Thursday, but I haven't been able to upload pictures until now. I have to say that I'm pretty sure that Edgar is really Santa in disguise. The contents of the package were unbelievable! First off , the pen. How much more vintage can one get than Old Glory? Simply stunning! Perfect in every way from nib to finial.
Edgar 1.jpg
And next is an amazing ornament made of cedar (from his brother's farm) and walnut, with a tiny little bird perched upon it. It holds a place of honor on my tree!
Edgar 2.jpg
Then he went even farther and added in several fantastic blanks, including one from his brother's farm and one from Lou Metcalf's stash! At this point I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.
Edgar 3.jpg
Then to my astonishment, there in the box is a large metal tin filled to the rim with Edgar's homemade Chex mix. It was all I could do to keep my grand kids away from it until I could get some fresh batteries in my camera to take these pics.
Edgar 4.jpg
Many thanks Edgar. You have made this an Awesome PITH. Your generosity is amazing. I've enjoyed being paired with you and getting to know you.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm really happy that you like the pen & other goodies, Chuck. I still think that I got the better end of this swap with all that cool ebonite you sent as well as the superb workmanship on the pen & ornament.

This was a fun PITH for sure & I hope we can arrange to meet in person someday, especially since we only live a couple hundred miles apart.

Edgar

epigolucky

Sorry I'm late to post. Work has kept me busy and I caught this viral bug that has been going around. Merry Christmas everyone. Here is my swap package from Steve (SSobel).
The pen has a really awesome history - it is from a British owned island that the US Navy has a base, Steve was a lucky person being allowed to remove wood from a downed tree there, and I'll also mention that he is the only person to have done this. So this is truly a "one of a kind" pen. Love the background and history of the wood!

I also received some spalted hackberry, a pine cone blank, some ironwood, and a coffee bean blank.
The ornament is awesome and made it to our Christmas tree and will for years to come!
72ab33b910f6a3cc5f65cf89ee66fd08.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

D.Oliver

Sorry I'm late to post. Work has kept me busy and I caught this viral bug that has been going around. Merry Christmas everyone. Here is my swap package from Steve (SSobel).
The pen has a really awesome history - it is from a British owned island that the US Navy has a base, Steve was a lucky person being allowed to remove wood from a downed tree there, and I'll also mention that he is the only person to have done this. So this is truly a "one of a kind" pen. Love the background and history of the wood!

I also received some spalted hackberry, a pine cone blank, some ironwood, and a coffee bean blank.
The ornament is awesome and made it to our Christmas tree and will for years to come!

I really like that ornament. Is it made by doing a compound cut on a scroll saw?

SSobel

I really like that ornament. Is it made by doing a compound cut on a scroll saw?
Yes...compound cutting on the scroll saw...i glued some slabs together first to give it some different colors.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bedangerous

Thanks Derek for posting the pics of the great pens and ornament you made me. Was away until today and was getting ready to photograph them when I saw you beat me to it.
Thanks. Really enjoy how great everyone is on this site.
Mitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lyonsacc

Received a great pen, ornament and some blanks over the weekend from DigBaddy. Thanks Keith! My guess is the pen is a redwood burl? I've been missing a nice burl ball point from my stash of pens I use on a regular basis. Every time I make one it ends up in someone else's hands - so this one will stay at my desk. Sorry about the horrible pic. Our camera died over Christmas - hopefully getting it replaced soon.
Dave
1917.jpg

Top Bottom