Dec. PITH / Ornament Exchange Picture Thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Keith let me know he received these over the weekend.

The pen is Ancient Bog Oak on a Jr Gent II. Sanded to 12,000 micromesh, then applied Renaissance Wax. Not a bright shiny finish, but you get a real feel for the wood.
IMG_0466 2.jpg

IMG_0467 2.jpg

IMG_0468 2.jpg

Dave

D.Oliver

6000 - 10,000 years old definitely qualifies as "vintage". Oh and if you blow up the third picture and look in the right hand corner there's an ornament that Dave completely forgot to mention, but that he will now tell us a little more about.........Go ahead Dave.:biggrin:

Last edited:

DigBaddy72

Keith let me know he received these over the weekend.

The pen is Ancient Bog Oak on a Jr Gent II. Sanded to 12,000 micromesh, then applied Renaissance Wax. Not a bright shiny finish, but you get a real feel for the wood.
View attachment 156503

View attachment 156504

View attachment 156505

Dave

The pen feels wonderful in the hand! Good weight and super smooth. My son really liked the story of the bog oaks. My wife LOVES the ornament! At first glance it looks like a piece of candy!

The blanks are just an added bonus!

Thanks again Dave!

bobleibo

Seriously?
You over-achievers who've already completed and shipped your PITH exchanges make it really tough on underachievers like me who are still trying to come up with an idea. Now I have to keep up with guys like Dave who create these terrific pieces of art. The stress is more than I can handle~ Did Derek give you guys a head start?
Nice work Dave, very well done.
Bob

lyonsacc

6000 - 10,000 years old definitely qualifies as "vintage". Oh and if you blow up the third picture and look in the right hand corner there's an ornament that Dave completely forgot to mention, but that he will now tell us a little more about.........Go ahead Dave.:biggrin:

Just a simple ornament made from one of those twisty blanks from exotics.

And I consider the pen kit to be vintage as well. I didn't have an inventory sticker on it. So I probably ordered that kit sometime in 2012.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Seriously?
You over-achievers who've already completed and shipped your PITH exchanges make it really tough on underachievers like me who are still trying to come up with an idea. Now I have to keep up with guys like Dave who create these terrific pieces of art. The stress is more than I can handle~ Did Derek give you guys a head start?
Bob

It's winter time. Lots of things going on here. If you would put your bike, and skis away, you just might come up with something. :biggrin::tongue: Oh....that's right...you already knew this, because you signed up for it. Didn't you? :biggrin:

bobleibo

Seriously?
Bob

It's winter time. Lots of things going on here. If you would put your bike, and skis away, you just might come up with something. :biggrin::tongue: Oh....that's right...you already knew this, because you signed up for it. Didn't you? :biggrin:

Put away my WHAT !!! Have you been sipping on that bottle of Yuengling again Chuck? I live smack in the middle of the best skiing in the country which means all I have to do is somehow get my fat little butt to the top of the hill, point south and let gravity take over. Now the hottest trend in mountain biking are Fat Bikes (see, made just for me - again!). They're a blast in the snow. I'm saving my pennies up to buy one. I'm trying to get my inspiration for Jason's pen and ornament sitting in the lodge sipping on a "soda pop". Can you make an icicle into a pen somehow?

Skie_M

Yeah, I think I could make an icicle pen .... it's just clear acrylic in a wavy form. I already took a piece of white soapstone and made an icicle out of it, as a Christmas decoration, and the finial on my hollow turned ornament has an icicle shape to it. Neither of those made it into the box for Doug, though ... I decided to go way old school and mailed him a tree. He's getting it today ... hope he doesn't get any splinters!

Anyways .... to Doug: You've Got Mail!

alankulwicki7

Yeah, I think I could make an icicle pen .... it's just clear acrylic in a wavy form. I already took a piece of white soapstone and made an icicle out of it, as a Christmas decoration, and the finial on my hollow turned ornament has an icicle shape to it. Neither of those made it into the box for Doug, though ... I decided to go way old school and mailed him a tree. He's getting it today ... hope he doesn't get any splinters!

Anyways .... to Doug: You've Got Mail!

Man, I can't wait to get the tree. We aren't putting one up this year since we'll be out of town for Christmas so yours will work prefect! :biggrin:

Skie_M

Well, I made sure to include plenty of "packing materials" in there to ensure things got to you in one piece... :)

Not so much worried about that pen ... but the ornament could be a wee bit delicate.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Beautiful work, Cody! I love 'em all.

I really like your angel - I want to make some of those. That wood looks suspiciously like camphor.

bobleibo

Check this out!

So, I've been gone for the weekend working in the fields. When I got home, waiting for me was a package with a bunch of cool loot from Jason (Argo13).
First up - a Liberty kit with What Jason called a checkerboard pattern Corian blank. I called it a finish line flag since I'm kind of a motorhead. One of these days I'm going to get to turn some Corian but this sure fills the void.
Second - I think Jason's been keeping his scroll saw talent from us. Check out the 3D Santa Sleigh. I have a scroll saw....we'll leave it at that. This ornament is already up on the tree.
The bonus blanks will find a home just as well when the kids get here for Christmas.
Thanks Jason...Happy Holidays~
Bob

Attachments

• PITH 1.jpg
    PITH 1.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

bobleibo

...almost forgot

While I was working my fingers to the bone this weekend, we still found time to think about Chuck.... (in case you can't read it, the note says "Chuck, we saved this one for you"):biggrin:

Attachments

• 20161210_172204_1481415759438.jpg
    20161210_172204_1481415759438.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
While I was working my fingers to the bone this weekend, we still found time to think about Chuck....

When I saw your claim about being in the field, this picture came to mind. :biggrin: Now I don't have to tell anybody :biggrin: I'll bet it was a rough weekend :biggrin:

Nice haul from Jason. He does nice scroll work. You just reminded me, he sent me some patterns two years ago. I keep forgetting them.

Last edited:

bobleibo

While I was working my fingers to the bone this weekend, we still found time to think about Chuck....

When I saw your claim about being in the field, this picture came to mind. :biggrin: Now I don't have to tell anybody :biggrin: I'll bet it was a rough weekend :biggrin:

Hey, who do you think picked the grapes !!! (or was that picked up the grapes??)

Argo13

Santa Claus lives in Utah

I received my Pith from Bobliebo. Little did i know he moonlights as Santa. Cause he sent me all kinds of things.

First is A wonderful Rollerball made from the Deck of the USS New Jersey. Cool as heck! He even included a piece of the Teak.

Next was Frosty in Padauk. He headed for the tree after the pic.

And Finally was mug for my wife. Also Padauk with a segmented base and engraved with her name. It was appreciated more than he knew when he sent it and has already been used.

Oh almost forgot the pile of blanks he sent.

Bob, Thank You again.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 250
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 230
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 214
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 192

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Awesome! Bob is so full of talent...he drops a masterpiece every time he goes to the bathroom :biggrin:

Jason, there's a good chance, that Teak was stone scrubbed by my brother, when the New Jersey was in Viet Nam. :wink:

If you don't mind sending those new patterns, I'll take them. And, a reminder that, I have them before next Christmas. :redface: Thanks Jason!

alankulwicki7

I received a package from Skie_M (Greg) last week but I did not open it until I mailed my package to Greg yesterday.

In the box were a beautiful pen and a bunch of blanks. Greg included a note explaining that the pen wasn't just any slim-line: it was a slim-line that was made from brass washers :). Even though the pen is heavier than most slims, pen has a great feel and looks cool!

The blanks were a nice touch, too. Included were Curly Maple, Quilted Maple, Maple, Afzelia Burl :biggrin:, Rosewood, Cherry, Curly Koa and Yew. Awesome variety!

The ornament that was part of this swap was missing :confused:.

Instead, there was something wrapped in paper towel. Upon carefully unwrapping the towel, I found a little tree. Not just any tree but a complete Christmas tree :biggrin:. (Now I think my wife recycled the note Greg included but if I remember right the tree is made from soap stone and abalone). Hopefully Greg will chime in here :)

You guys may have some nice Christmas ornaments but I got a really cool CHRISTMAS TREE (and a sweet pen, too)!:biggrin:

Attachments

• pith1.jpg
    pith1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 239
  • pith3.jpg
    pith3.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 289
  • pith2.jpg
    pith2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 269

Skie_M

Yup ... soapstone and abalone shell for the top! :)

There is a small amount of wood inside the tree, as well, which fills the brass tube and gives the abalone shell finial on top something to mount into ... it was just a 3/8" dowel rod of some hardwood. It's not very visible, but I had to do some really tricky turning to get it to the right size to fit snug into the 7mm brass tube and still have a hole large enough to mount the mother-of-pearl finial.

Oh, and since your better half grabbed the note on you, I'll repeat it here...

That pen has a coat of CA on it that isn't highly polished ... more of a "brushed" finish. I put it there to change the look of the pen a bit, and to protect the brass from corrosion. It can be removed (scraped away or broken) to reveal the polished brass underneath. :)

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Swap Photos

I received my box of goodies from Ben (CrimsonKeel) and had to get some photos. In the box, I found some nicely cast resin blanks, done by Ben himself. A cool ornament he made by, layering automotive paint over a sheet of aluminum, then mounting the sheet on the lathe with double backed tape, and turning it down. The pen is a Chrome Cigar, dressed with stablized Spalted Oak, coated with thin CA and, sanded to a nice mat finish. I am quite pleased with Ben's efforts. It makes for a nice Christmas. Thank you Ben!

Attachments

• Christmas swap 2016 001.jpg
    Christmas swap 2016 001.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 223
  • Christmas swap 2016 002.jpg
    Christmas swap 2016 002.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 199
  • Christmas swap 2016 003.jpg
    Christmas swap 2016 003.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Christmas swap 2016 004.jpg
    Christmas swap 2016 004.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 203

jsolie

I sent mine off earlier this week, tracking says it should be delivered today. Hopefully the contents do not send John (gonzo972) off in search of eye bleach.

Skie_M

Got my package today .... but I was at work, so just now getting home ... gonna open it in a bit! :)

OK ... Doug said he'ld stop by and give some more details about what he sent my way ... the pen is quite pretty, all in chrome and some kind of beautiful wood blank (Doug will have to tell us more about it!). I have here 4 chunks of Buckthorn, one of which appears to be a call or bottle stopper blank, the other 3 are pen blanks ... a set of cigar blanks, pre-drilled and tubed, in pecan ... a lovely piece of fogwood, quite hard with some checking on one end, but the grain is gorgeous! (gonna have to use that soon)...

Also present are penn blaks in bamboo, canary, spalted/figured Amor Maple, stabilized Tennessee Red Cedar, and Desert Ironwood (oh goodie, I get to play with some ironwood too!)

The Buckthorn also looks quite hard and interesting ... I will enjoy playing with that too!

As for the ornament ... A pretty little birdhouse made of Apricot (the top) and Oak (the bottom), with a tiny little Cardinal perched out front ... :)

I'll come back and add photos later ... wont have any available daylight till at least Monday!

Last edited:

Cwalker935

Got my package from Ralph (hippi) today, two beautiful pens, two fantastic blanks, and an incredible ornament. One of the pens is a Classic Clicker, I've never heard of one of those much less seen one. I have no idea how Ralph did the ornament lots of intricate work. Thank you Ralph.

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Cool pens, cool ornament, cool blanks, and everything is color coordinated Cody :biggrin: Was that the plan? Guess I should ask Hippi

hippi

aloha
the ornament was made with a scrollsaw and needs three different cuts
first the inside cuts then turn on side and cut the curve tape it up then cut the out side and the leafs come apart clean up and glue them up this part is kinda hard
and for the colors it just worked that way:biggrin::wink:

Got my package from Ralph (hippi) today, two beautiful pens, two fantastic blanks, and an incredible ornament. One of the pens is a Classic Clicker, I've never heard of one of those much less seen one. I have no idea how Ralph did the ornament lots of intricate work. Thank you Ralph.

View attachment 157403

View attachment 157404

Skie_M

OK ... it's Monday, and sunny outside, so I went and took some pics while waiting for my hot wings to cook! :)

First, we have our pretty new pen ... As I mentioned before, I've no idea what wood this is, but it's quite pretty!

attachment.php

Next, we have a close up of this lovely birdhouse ornament. Apricot top with live edge, and oak bottom, with a Cardinal in residence.

attachment.php

And finally, a great selection of blanks that I've never seen before!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dec PITH1.jpg
    Dec PITH1.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Dec PITH2.jpg
    Dec PITH2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 396
  • Dec PITH3.jpg
    Dec PITH3.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 412

alankulwicki7

OK ... it's Monday, and sunny outside, so I went and took some pics while waiting for my hot wings to cook! :)

First, we have our pretty new pen ... As I mentioned before, I've no idea what wood this is, but it's quite pretty!

attachment.php

Next, we have a close up of this lovely birdhouse ornament. Apricot top with live edge, and oak bottom, with a Cardinal in residence.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I thought I'd fill everybody in since I didn't have a chance to put a note in the package before my wife mailed it....

The pen is a Liberty kit with a piece of old, wormy, colorful wood. I'm not sure what type the wood is but it came from a barn that was built in 1858. Yes, 1858. For you history buffs, that is the year that Minnesota became a state! The wood was not stabilized beforehand but I ended up using lots of thin CA as I went. I would make a couple of passes and then add some thin CA. This helped keep the worm holes full of shavings. The pen has a CA finish.

The ornament is one the typical birdhouse ornaments I make. This one has the live edge that people seem to love!

The blanks are an assortment. Tennessee Red Cedar, Desert Ironwood, Pecan, Bamboo, etc. I also included a bunch of Buckthorn. Along with Desert Ironwood, Buckthorn is my favorite wood to turn. It turns easy, takes a great finish and has an amazing shimmer to it. I typically use a little BLO right before I apply the finish and the Buckthorn just glows. When I craft shows, people are always amazed by the Buckthorn!:biggrin:

Hope you like your package, Greg!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I love the ornament - well done!

SSobel

I got my package in the mail today from epigolucky! My camera is not showing off the beauty of this pen! And my wife wasted no time putting ribbon the the turned ornament and hanging it proudly on the tree...everything is great Adam! Merry Christmas!20161220_153946.jpg

There's more pictures but I'll do them from a computer, not this silly phone after school.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KenV

Scotty and I were partners in this PITH.

Scotty sent me a really neat ornament shaped like a pen including a wood clip. It hangs on the mantle on an ornament holder now.

The stars and stripes pen is striking and immediately attracted my spouses attention. She made several ohhs and ahhs. Then the pen disappeared and I have not seen it since.

There were several blanks including one spectacular eucalyptus burl blank -- I think I know just the gold Ti Imperial kit for it to fit on.

Thanks Scotty!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_Scotty=PenAndOrnament.jpg
    IMG_Scotty=PenAndOrnament.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 161
Top Bottom