Dec. Pen Swap Pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Now that MarkD has his shipment, he asked me if I would like to share some photos of the pen and ornament. I have to say I wasn't very proud of the ornament, so I didn't photograph it, but if Mark wants to embarrass me, in front of all of you, I'll leave it to him. :eek:

The pen is a Jr Gent Rollerball in Rhodium. The material is Structural Composite Lumber (SCL) that was salvaged from a build site in the high desert in Southern California. The application that the SCL was being used for was a high tech stairway being built in an architect's own home. I thought the material was interesting and, in the end, I think it made a nice looking pen. Its finished in CA.

I had a great time with this swap and I'm really looking forward to the next one. Thanks to you guys for pushing me a little bit outside my comfort zone.

Merry Christmas to Mark and to all of you!
Eric

It looks even better in person! :biggrin:

Hubert H

My pen and bell from John

Pen and bell from John. Thank you John - my wife has already to confiscated the bell and set it out in the living room.

Hubert

Attachments

• John's-pen-and-bell.jpg
    John's-pen-and-bell.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 277

elkhorn

Thanks, Hubert. Here's a couple of color photos of the two.

The pen is laminated in keeping with the construction theme, and the bell, is well, a bell :)

Merry Christmas, all.

Derek, this swap was a lot of fun. Thanks for setting it up.

Attachments

• laminated rainbow pen.jpg
    laminated rainbow pen.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Christmas bell.jpg
    Christmas bell.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

BWatson

My pen from Mike

I'm thrilled with the pen I got from Mike. I have to admit, though, I wasn't sure at first...thought maybe it was a rocket...once I sat it down it clicked...construction barrel! Very creative idea Mike!

The ornaments have already found a place on our tree...my daughter loves the little snowman. Mike also sent along some great blanks and other wood items...thank you Mike!

I'm starting Mike's items this weekend...the pressure is on now! :smile-big:

bill

USPS tracking says it was delivered so here's the pen I sent out. Cell phone pic, but it will do.. I forgot to get pictures of the ornament.

Modified PennState Tower Twist pen. Orange/White acrylic segmented to look like a construction barrel with a piece of corian for the base.

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2517.jpg
    IMG_2517.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

D.Oliver

Thanks, Hubert. Here's a couple of color photos of the two.

The pen is laminated in keeping with the construction theme, and the bell, is well, a bell :)

Merry Christmas, all.

Derek, this swap was a lot of fun. Thanks for setting it up.

In huberts pictures it looks like bell is metal on the inside. Is it? Does the bell ring?

D.Oliver

I'm thrilled with the pen I got from Mike. I have to admit, though, I wasn't sure at first...thought maybe it was a rocket...once I sat it down it clicked...construction barrel! Very creative idea Mike!

The ornaments have already found a place on our tree...my daughter loves the little snowman. Mike also sent along some great blanks and other wood items...thank you Mike!

I'm starting Mike's items this weekend...the pressure is on now! :smile-big:

bill

USPS tracking says it was delivered so here's the pen I sent out. Cell phone pic, but it will do.. I forgot to get pictures of the ornament.

Modified PennState Tower Twist pen. Orange/White acrylic segmented to look like a construction barrel with a piece of corian for the base.

Love this construction cone idea!

akingkubo

Pens and Ornaments

My partner has received the pens and ornament I had fun making for his daughters Olivia and Katie.
I am very embarrassed to note that some of the little "embellishments" I glued to ornaments fell out when he received them and he has to glue them back. :eek: I am so sorry Eric (Buzzzz4)!
The ornament is made from MDF. I chose two princess pens for his daughters. One made from OSB a then used Cabernet wood finish with glitter. The other pen I used segmented plywood my husband made.
My pens look mediocre compared to everybody's but Derek said this was more of getting to know the members and have fun doing it. I did get to meet a great partner and his family and had really fun doing this for his daughters. Looks like mission accomplished!
Thanks so much Derek for doing this. It sure made me love pen turning more!
View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Merry Christmas everybody! It's always an inspiration looking at your wonderful creations and only hoping I will reach the same level as you all are. Thanks for sharing all your expertise to all of us trying to learn the craft!
Maria

alankulwicki7

just thought I would add a couple more pictures of the pen I made for Flynny. This is from a LVL beam cutoff from when we added on to our house 10 years ago.

The pen is a Jr Gent 1 with a matte CA finish. Sorry for the so-so photos. I'm still trying to figure out my new photo booth set up...

Attachments

• lvl1.jpg
    lvl1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 218
  • lvl2.jpg
    lvl2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 226

Sandsini

I received my package from MarkD yesterday. He sent a Liberty Stainless Steel pen done in Corian (it's a kitchen theme, get it?) and a beautiful "worthless wood" ornament done in Cherry wood and red and green Alumilite. It is really a beautiful thing, and my wife loves it!

As if that wasn't enough, he also included a Corian blank along with two others. I'm feeling like the good little kid on Christmas day.

Thanks Mark! Merry Christmas to you and to all of our pen turning brothers on IAP.

Eric

Attachments

• DSC00047.jpg
    DSC00047.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 175

Flynny

December Pen Swap

My pictures of Doug's pen to me. Did not do it justice.It is very well done and I am proud to own it.
John (aka Flynny)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Santa comes on SUNDAYS!

I came home from the third trip to Lowe's (a plumbing repair... :mad:), and was told that a package was delivered... SUNDAY ???

So I received my PITH, and have learned truly, that is is best to be patient!

Both the pen and ornament are beautiful!

THANK YOU John!!! (Juteck).

We cut our tree the week before, so this was taken in a poor spot, but the quality is obvious. Ill post a better picture of the ornament as soon as I make a larger stand with the wire hanger! And the pen is incredible! Segmenting is on my list for 2015, so this is extra special to me!

Happy Holidays to ALL!!!

John; feel free to give hints on the segmenting :)!

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

juteck

Glad you like them Mark!

For the same reason you didn't send me a birdhouse, I figured I'd send you the snowman, made out of maple body, Caribbean rosewood hat, and Bolivian rosewood nose. The eyes are burned in, and my name burned in under the back of the top rim of the hat with the year! Since the hat is purposely put on crooked, it's fun lining up the eyelet on the top to make sure the ornament hangs close to straight.

The pen kind of sort of symbolizes block construction, and was made by laminating 4 blanks together in a checkerboard pattern, then cutting thinner slices off that laminated blank and rotating each one to give the staggered look. A trick to keep these as close to centered as possible is to cut a small chamfer on each of the four blanks, and orienting the chamfer towards the middle when gluing up the blank, to give you a small square hole. Using this hole and a small skewer to keep everything in line, it's easy to glue up and re-assemble in the pattern.

Again, it was fun exchanging pens and ornaments with you.

Merry Christmas!

John

(PS Mark -- I did make several more birdhouse ornaments this year, and borrowed your examples of making the roof with natural edge branchwood. Red cedar makes for an interesting roofline, and a great contrast between heartwood and sapwood!)

I came home from the third trip to Lowe's (a plumbing repair... :mad:), and was told that a package was delivered... SUNDAY ???

So I received my PITH, and have learned truly, that is is best to be patient!

Both the pen and ornament are beautiful!

THANK YOU John!!! (Juteck).

We cut our tree the week before, so this was taken in a poor spot, but the quality is obvious. Ill post a better picture of the ornament as soon as I make a larger stand with the wire hanger! And the pen is incredible! Segmenting is on my list for 2015, so this is extra special to me!

Happy Holidays to ALL!!!

John; feel free to give hints on the segmenting :)!

tclan5

My package was delivered to Steve yesterday, so here are some pics of the pen and ornament that I made. The pen is a PSI Spartan with the body made of althread wrapped with black enameled copper wire. The ornament is made of 3/4 plywood laminated together.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 192

SteveJ

Here are the ornament and pen for my swap partner Steve (SMJ1957).

The ornament is my first--it's cypress with a sapele mahogany finial.
1_Ornament.jpg

Keeping with the construction theme for the pen:
1_SwapPenDec2014.jpg

Here's the description I sent Steve about the pen:
My very first thought was a wood hammer but Skippy posted his gorgeous version right away.
I knew I couldn't compete with a master.
So, what to make?
My wife and I have done a couple of 'owner/builder' homes; we did one by and for her parents.
As I contemplated your pen, I found two shims my Father-in-law and I had made; most of which were used for hanging windows and doors.
The wood just happened to be old growth, antique heart pine.
It seemed like a natural.
I glued two in opposing directions creating one nearly parallel piece of wood about 16" long.
I cut it in 1/2 and stacked and glued the two 8" long pieces.
I kept cutting, stacking and re-gluing until it was thick enough for a blank,
but I was also rotating the cut-offs so the grain of the pieces were running in different directions.
The result is a variation on the usual brickwork blanks.
I wanted a solid CB and had some nice padauk which worked well.
So, that's the story. The finish is Mahoney's oil burnished 'til it cured, then CA.

Gary did a very nice job with both the pen and the ornament. My son, who has turned some pens was especially impressed with the ornament. The segmenting on the pen is awesome. So many different directions for the grain makes a very interesting pen.

Thanks Gary. Your package is finally on the way.

Steve

toddlajoie

Due to the holiday rush, I have had my pen and ornament from Mike (mjsix1) for nearly a week and just now got a chance to take photos.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The pen is a very cool Le-Roi Pen, in keeping with the construction theme, made from laminated pieces of plywood, The variations in the plys and angles of the lamination give it a very unique and cool look...

attachment.php
attachment.php

The ornament is a fantastic double-turned (inside out, then reversed) piece made with 2 pieces of Purpleheart and 2 pieces of Osage Orange, with a scrap of wire for a hanger. The shape and style of this is very nice, and my wife is dying to get it on the tree, but couldn't until I got these photos taken...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Mike, thanks for all your hard work, and kudos for getting it done so quickly. My return package to him is still fully in the works, and coming down to the wire...

Attachments

• _DSC4542 (Web).jpg
    _DSC4542 (Web).jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 471
  • _DSC4547 (Web).jpg
    _DSC4547 (Web).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 479
  • _DSC4553 (web).jpg
    _DSC4553 (web).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 472

hippi

sent

this is what I sent to truckfixer that he received mon. 12-15
2 ornaments made of mango, af.mahogany
2 pens 1 made of Koa, Ohia and 2 copper bushings
2 made I think mac nut with hemp string i call PENBOB
sorry for the pics

Attachments

• DFE_4654-2.jpg
    DFE_4654-2.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 189
  • DFE_4655-2.jpg
    DFE_4655-2.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 198

D.Oliver

this is what I sent to truckfixer that he received mon. 12-15
2 ornaments made of mango, af.mahogany
2 pens 1 made of Koa, Ohia and 2 copper bushings
2 made I think mac nut with hemp string i call PENBOB
sorry for the pics

I really like those ornaments! Did you do them on a scrollsaw?

StuartCovey

My package was delivered to Steve yesterday, so here are some pics of the pen and ornament that I made. The pen is a PSI Spartan with the body made of althread wrapped with black enameled copper wire. The ornament is made of 3/4 plywood laminated together.

Yep, I got them! Great looking pen! I love the way it looks like the threads of a bolt.
The ornament is also great. It will have it's place on the tree!

P.S. I think you meant Stuart :biggrin:

djyanan

2014 PITH Exchange

the pictures show that Lance and I were obviously thinking along the same lines, but got there in different ways. He sent the Sierra made with Laminated Plywood and copper, I sent the Cigar made with Dimensional lumber, Plywood, and copper. What's the old saying, great minds think alike? :biggrin:

Attachments

• 20141215_210544 (800x450).jpg
    20141215_210544 (800x450).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 158
  • 20141218_200437 (800x450).jpg
    20141218_200437 (800x450).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 157

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My pens & ornament for Parklandturner

Ed (Parklandturner) received his package today, but won't be able to post photos until later, so he asked me to start it off.

The pens are extremely plain & simple and don't hold a candle to the creativity and workmanship of many that have been posted, but I hope Ed will be able to find a use for them.

The main pen is an artist/shop sketch pencil made from a piece of oak that I found in the dumpster area of the cabinet shop next to our office. I thought an old piece of oak would be a good pairing for a shop pencil.

The second pen is a Vertex clicker using a piece of mystery wood that I salvaged from a shipping pallet that we received at our office. I have no idea what kind of wood this is, so if anyone has an idea, please speak up. The wood is very pink and doesn't have any pronounced grain. The pallet was a normal size (approx 3'x4') but was extremely heavy - significantly heavier than similar sized pallets made from oak that we get from time to time. The wood was plainer than I hoped, but I managed to include the edge of a nail hole on the surface of the turned blank to give a little character to the blank. I was afraid that the hole edge would be completely turned off, but I managed to keep a small black spot on the surface.

The two blanks under the pen & pencil are from the same wood.

The mini-birdhouse ornament is made from flaming box elder with a pecan top & finial. The top & finial are from my farm & the finial is the pecan that I used for my teaser photo in the pairings thread.

I also included a little filler which I will let Ed describe.
This pith was a lot of fun - particularly all the banter in the pairings thread, and I really enjoyed making this ornament.

Edgar

Attachments

• PensToEd.jpg
    PensToEd.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Ornament1.jpg
    Ornament1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Ornament2.jpg
    Ornament2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Cmiles1985

I received my partner's parcel this afternoon. It's a fantastic couple of pieces along with a handful of very interesting blanks that I've not yet seen! I'll take some pictures in a little while. The pen looks to be pine on a Sierra style kit. I'll let Seer (aka Jerry) describe it further, and the pictures are to follow.

I forgot to put a description in with his: it is a Patriot in satin nickel with pine and walnut at opposing 22.5 degree cuts. The pine is drilled and has 12 ga wire imbedded. The ornament was made by my wife. It's a glass Hobby Lobby ball adorned in polymer clay. Each petal was done by hand then dusted with mica powder for added effect.

toddlajoie

I place of sending out my pen today, just in the nick of time, I got to instead send my partner Mike (mjsix1) a PM letting him know that for the second time the Nib section self destructed (the first flew apart on the lathe, this one made it off the lathe, but decided it was not in favor of being assembled....) So its back to gluing up another blank and trying again... It took 3 tries to get the ornament done, so let's the nib section of the pen works the third time too (the other section of the pen came out fine the second time around...)

So I'm going to miss the deadline, but I'll get it out on Monday if I have to go out and buy him a pen, I think I know a few decent pen turners nearby...

Ed McDonnell

My Haul From Edgar

Here's a picture of my swap items and all the extras that Edgar (edohmann) stuffed into a large flat rate box for me. Bottom left is a big can of trail mix. To the right of that is the BIG bag of freshly harvested pecans. Upper left is the pen and shop pencil. Above them are blanks of the material used for the pen / pencil. I believe the pinkish material is an asian hardwood that would probably be called Meranti or Phillipine Mahogany. That narrows it down to dozens of different types of tropical hardwood trees that get lumped into those two names. The word Mahogany is used pretty loosely around the world, generally to market wood that is very different than the tropical Mahoganies of the Americas. Still nice, but different. Back to the goodies. Upper right is a big bag of Texas pecan wood pen blanks.

Thanks again Edgar!!

Ed

Attachments

• Edgar Haul.jpg
    Edgar Haul.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 270

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here's a picture of my swap items and all the extras that Edgar (edohmann) stuffed into a large flat rate box for me. Bottom left is a big can of trail mix. To the right of that is the BIG bag of freshly harvested pecans. Upper left is the pen and shop pencil. Above them are blanks of the material used for the pen / pencil. I believe the pinkish material is an asian hardwood that would probably be called Meranti or Phillipine Mahogany. That narrows it down to dozens of different types of tropical hardwood trees that get lumped into those two names. The word Mahogany is used pretty loosely around the world, generally to market wood that is very different than the tropical Mahoganies of the Americas. Still nice, but different. Back to the goodies. Upper right is a big bag of Texas pecan wood pen blanks.

Thanks again Edgar!!

Ed

Thanks Ed,
I told you the filler would be the most exciting part. :)

Thanks also for the info on the pallet wood. Mahogany was my first thought, but it didn't look like any that I have on hand. The Meranti/Philippine Mahogany guess sounds pretty likely.

I had a lot of fun with this PITH & I really like the pens & ornament you sent. The pens are in my IAP pen cup on my desk & I use them every day!

plantman

Here is the pen and ornament I received from Jonathon Brooks ( Brooks803) The pen is a kitless double closed end with a Sharpy insert. The blank came from a piece of Pine and has excellent grain matchup. Feels smooth in the hand, smells great, and writes flawlessly. If anyone out there has ever tried to turn Pine into a pen, you know how much skill this pen required to make. The ornament is a shimmering ball of glowing fire that Jonathom cast. Photos do not do justice to the amazing depth on the cast. Thank you again Jonathon !!! Happy Holidays !!! Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0107 (800x487).jpg
    DSCF0107 (800x487).jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF0110 (800x577).jpg
    DSCF0110 (800x577).jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCF0106 (800x298).jpg
    DSCF0106 (800x298).jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF0105 (800x270).jpg
    DSCF0105 (800x270).jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 175

Brooks803

I'm glad it arrived safely Jim! That was my first sharpie and definitely won't be my last. I loved the smell of the pine as I was turning it. Reminded me of my time with my Grandfather when I was a young kid. I would spend every weekend with him and was his helper in his wood shop. It always smelled of fresh cut pine.

I'm happy you like the ornament :). That was the harder of the two for me. Only bc my scroll chuck decided it didn't want to cooperate. So I had to rough shape it (which it still is!) on my disc sander and then hand sand it the rest of the way.

GaryMGg

Below and attached are the pens, blanks and ornaments I received from Steve (SMJ1957).

This is the first time I've seen a pen made from Trex.
The segmented pen seams are flawless. Pretty cool.
The second pen is for ServicePens. Thanks Steve.

attachment.php

The ornaments are roughly 7/8" square with an internal square.
Judy has confiscated them for display on the tree. :biggrin:

attachment.php

The box included some nice blanks such as the burl pictured and a Bethlehem olive wood w/ certificate of authenticity.
Thanks very much Steve.

Attachments

• IMG-20141221-00247.jpg
    IMG-20141221-00247.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG-20141221-00248.jpg
    IMG-20141221-00248.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 479

elkhorn

I just received Hubert's pen and ornament today. He made the segmented blank from pine and walnut himself, and I think he did a great job. Put it all in a nice click pen. I'm very happy with both the pen and ornament. Great fit and finish as well.

Thanks, Hubert!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of IAP>

Attachments

• Hubert pen.jpg
    Hubert pen.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Hubert ornament.jpg
    Hubert ornament.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 199

Marko50

Dec. PITH for Earl, aka BayouPenturner

Here's the pen I cast/turned for Earl (BayouPenturner) for the December PITH.
I think by now, everyone is familiar with the theme; construction...?

This pen is all tied into the time I spent as a teenager working construction. One summer found me at the bottom of some very deep trenches riveting and attaching pipe with all kinds of tools, riveting equipment, welding and wire tie-in material. The design reflects a lot of that memory. It was cast with Alumilite using "tube-in" techniques and a lot of embossing on aluminum. The larger rivets are the real deal. The smaller ones are simulated. The kit is a "Zen" magnetic cap from CSUSA. It was a fun project and improved upon my embossing skills!

...I can't take credit for the ornament I gave him, thus the reason for no pictures of it. It was a unique pencil carving of a "wood spirit" type Santa.

Attachments

• DSC_3551.jpg
    DSC_3551.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC_3552.jpg
    DSC_3552.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_3553.jpg
    DSC_3553.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_3555.jpg
    DSC_3555.jpg