Contest Skill Levels - Please Read Then Vote!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

How Should The IAP Decide Contest Skill Levels?

• Number of pens turned

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Length of IAP Membership

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Length of time turning

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Self Assessment (The member places himself at the level he believes is appropriate)

Votes: 101 69.7%
  • Other (Please post your idea or PM it to mbroberg)

Votes: 23 15.9%

• Total voters

alphageek

Former Moderator
Personally, I think that only one or maybe two of the contests.

One of the contests for beginners (so that they don't have to worry about being "blown away", and maybe one for intermediates. All other contests are like they are today - anyone can enter. Heck - a beginner can enter an "advanced" type contest if they feel like it, just like today.

And to answer the question - I think that guidelines for self assessment are most suited. A few hard rules (like you can't be a beginner if you've entered a pen into a bash contest ever before) - then leave the rest up to self assessment.

The prizes are nice, but I would hope that no-one would cheat to "lower their skill level" to pretend to be a beginner just so they win.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

I voted for self assesment. I also don't think you should be barred from entering that competition again if you win.I for one will always be an intermediate pen turner because I do not forsee me getting any machinery more advanced than a wood lathe.No lasers,cnc,foundry,metal lathe,etc.It has been said that those tools do not guarantee a beautifull pen,but those that use it can do things that a wood lathe is not capable of.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I voted for self assesment. I also don't think you should be barred from entering that competition again if you win.I for one will always be an intermediate pen turner because I do not forsee me getting any machinery more advanced than a wood lathe.No lasers,cnc,foundry,metal lathe,etc.It has been said that those tools do not guarantee a beautifull pen,but those that use it can do things that a wood lathe is not capable of.

Don't sell yourself short. Many outstanding component-less pens can be created on nothing more than a wood lathe. Machinery doesn't not make a person "Advanced", practice and patience does.

Twissy

This is the only poll I've had trouble deciding how to vote!
In so many areas of pen making I regard my self as a real novice, segmenting and casting to name but two. Yet from the moment I made my first kitless pen I am effectively pigeon holed into the advanced penmaker category. This is mainly due to there being a forum on its own dealing with kitless construction....Advanced Pen Making.
I have never done any segmenting as such and have had one attempt at a Celtic knot yet I feel I wouldn't be true to myself if I entered in a beginner category.

I guess I've answered my own concerns....self assessment.:biggrin:

The one thing I would like is that the if the host of the competition host feels a pen doesn't belong in that category that they suggest to the submitter that they may do better in another category. I think this would mainly apply to us more junior members.

This was my first Bash (I didn't have a clue what was going on in the last one) and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next however it is done!

Ed McDonnell

But this doesn't mean that a lathe and some simple, inexpensive hand tools in the hands of an artist couldn't create a pen that is a work of art capable of winning any competition here. An artist will create a work of art with whatever tools are at hand. Someone lacking an artistic flair will likely create ordinary uninspired work no matter what tools they use. It's not about the tools you don't have. It's about learning to create art with what you do have.

In the larger woodturning community there have been a lot of advancements in recent years in the embellishment of woodturnings. Carving, air brushing, mixed media and burning are just a few of the techniques that have been applied to turn ordinary work produced on the lathe into beautiful and innovative art. I am surprised that we don't see more of that showing up in the pen making community.

Maybe we need to periodically have some contests / challenges / virtual workshops, using simple inexpensive tools, that would introduce new skills to the community. Just a thought.

Ed

jttheclockman

I do not use any metal lathes, CNC machines, lazers or such and I will compete against anyone on this site. I have seen some extrodinary work but it does not take super tools to make a super blank or pen. Just a little out of box thinking. I do consider myself an advanced pen turner. I have said before and will say it again, the only thing we as pen turners have to judge ourselves by is what we see here and from what is being shown there are alot more advanced people here than are admitting to. So do not sell yourself short and settle. Strive to do better and you will and do not take a defeated attitude. Be confident and show us somethings. :)

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The numbers speak for themselves. Self assessment it is.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to let us know what it is you want.

Top Bottom