Collaborative Creative Challenge Updates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
This thread will be the members source of information and updates about the Collaborative Creative Challenge. The original sign-up thread that contains the rules for this activity is here. Please note that sign-ups fo this activity are closed.

Ten teams of 5 members each have been formed. All registered participants have been notified of their team assignments via PM. Participants have been asked to keep the identity of their teammates confidential. The identities of the members of all the teams will be revealed at the end of the activity.

The teams have been asked to keep me informed of any news or events related to the creation of their pens that the general membership might find interesting. I will report these in this thread in such a way as to keep the membership informed but without compromising the identity of the teams.

I'm pretty anxious to see what all of these talented individuals, working together, can create. I anticipate some pretty awesome pens!! :biggrin:

mbroberg

Rules Clarification! (Updated 7/9/12 @ 6:45pm)

I received a question about sending the pen out for special work or processing. The answer was that the pen cannot be sent to any outside sources to have work done on it. ALL work on the pen MUST be completed by members of the team.

Another question that has been asked is if it would be OK to make two pens, like a desk set so that there would be more work to go around and 5 people wouldn't have to work on one blank / pen. Also, would it be OK to make a presentation box or some other sort of display.

The answer is that each team is to create and submit ONE pen for judging. The point of this activity is to have a team of five individuals work together to create a (singular) pen.

A presentation box or other type of display is acceptable but the box or display will not be considered during the judging. Only the pen will be judged. Also, the team member(s) who builds the box or display is not excused from working on the pen.

Each team has 5 members. Each of the team's members must physically touch the pen and contribute "hands-on" to the pen's creation.

Last edited:

mbroberg

Be sure to periodically check post #3 of this thread for answers to any questions about the rules of this activity. I will keep all the Q & A and rules clarification there so they will be easy to find.

mbroberg

To date I have heard from 6 of the 10 teams. It's early in the activity and already the teams I have heard from are planning their communication strategies and bouncing some ideas off of each other concerning designs. One members comment seemed to sum up the feelings of all participants; "Go Big or Go Home". I have a feeling that the IAP is going to be treated to some truly beautiful works of art as a result of this activity.
Right now the teams are all known by numbers (Team 1, Team 2, etc.) Each team has the option of giving themselves a proper name. A few suggestions have been made but as of now none of the teams have informed me of an official name change.
I'll try to keep the membership informed about the progress of the teams but I want to be careful not to give anything away. Check back here periodically for further updates.

mbroberg

CCC Challenge Update!
July 22, 2012​

From my perspective Team 1 is the most active team in terms of communication. Design ideas are being actively shared and discussed between team members.

I've heard nothing from Team 2. Hello. Are you out there?

A member of Team 3 has suggested adopting a formal name, but that's all I know about them at this point.

Team 4 checked in and stated that they have started some back and forth discussion.

Team 5 got off to a slightly rocky start due to an inability to reach one of the members via PM. That issue has been resolved and discussions are under way.

From this day forward Team 6 is now known as "Team Hydra". I don't know why, but hope to find out the significance of the name for a future update. Someone from Team Hydra, please fill me in. Team Hydra is talking and planning.

The last I heard from Team 7 is that all members are accounted for, contact information has been exchanged and they are beginning planning discussions.

Team 8 is considering a rather unique formal name. That is all I know at this point.

Team 9 is considering a formal name. All I can say is that someone must like to play Bingo.

Team 10, Where are you?

As you can see I do not have a lot to report as of yet. It is still very early in the activity. It would be helpful, however, if each team would appoint someone to give me a weekly summary of their activities. I can then condense these into a single update to keep the membership informed about this activity. Don't worry; I won't give away trade secrets. I just want to establish and maintain at least a minimal level of anticipation and excitement as this activity progresses to the point of unveiling some of the finest pens ever crafted!

mbroberg

My sincere apologies for being absent. I had some issues to deal with. Here is what I have been told about the CCC since the last update.

Team 1: I have not received anything from Team 1 since 7/15/12. I'll be sending all members a PM asking for an update.

Team 2: I have heard nothing at all, ever, from Team 2. I'll also be contacting each of them as soon as I get done with this post.

Team 3: I have not heard anything from Team 3 since 7/11/12. I'll contact them also.

Team 4: Team 4 will, from this point forward, be known as Team Mongrel. I hear they are close to finalizing their pen.

Team 5: All members are communicating well. Their biggest hurdle is finding something for all members to contribute. (That's what this activity is all about.:wink:)

Team Hydra: Nothing since 7/15/12.

Team 7: "The pen is mightier than the sword"

Team 8: Team 8 will now be known as The Rusty Nibs. They are making progress.

Team 9: Nothing since 7/8/12.

Team 10: Nothing since 7/8/12.

So, is the lack of news an indication that the teams are carefully guarding their processes and designs, or is it a lack of involvement? I don't know. It's still early in the activity. I hope for great things to come out of these collaborations.

mbroberg

In the own words...... well, most of them anyway. :biggrin:

Team 1: XXXX just got the blanks stabilized and is sending them to XXXXX, I have to get off my butt and make the XXXXXXX, but I'm working on some XXXXX stuff XXXXX so we are way up on top. Or way down on the bottom (just depends on how you look at it.
I have to get my end done pretty quick, XXXXXXXX I hope the hell not.

Team 2: Awaiting the blank to be delivered to XXXXXXXXXXX for drilling.

Team 3: We seem to be stuck on the starting line. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Time is getting short and we need to get going.

Team Mongrel: We have narrowed it down to two designs, are practicing different features to see if the processes are workable.

Team 5: Nothing reported. :mad:

Team Hydra: We are still alive and kicking. I'd say we are at the point of trying things to see how it will all work together.

Team 7: Nothing reported. :mad:

The Rusty Nibs: We've decided that this is a very tough challenge .

The blank will be completed this week, and then mailed to XXXXXXXXX. We made a few extra in case of an explosion. It will be XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Team 9: All is well. We have had 2 conference calls. We have a design and materials.
Prototypes have been made and are circulating.

Team 10: We have been trying to iron out design issues.

Last edited:

mbroberg

Here is what I know since the last update:

Team Penultimate: I've seen a picture of part of Team Pemultimate's pen. They have set the bar very, very high!

Team 9: Team 9 sent a couple of teaser photos.

Attachments

• Team 9 Teaser.jpg
    Team 9 Teaser.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Team 9 Teaser_2.jpg
    Team 9 Teaser_2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 190

mbroberg

Well my section is done and has arrived State Side. I think we are team Decimal.

A reminder, from the rules posted at the beginning of this challenge.

" Team members are to keep the identity of their teammates, and their team number, to themselves. In other words, no one outside of your own team and the Activities Manager should know what team you are on and who your teammates are."

Do not publicly post anything that associates yourself or anyone else with a specific team. PM your updates to me and I will post them in such a way that allows others to know what is going on with the various teams, but does not reveal the identities of the team members. Teams will be revealed after all the ens have been submitted for judging.

Thanks

mbroberg

Team 2: Team 2 has checked in several times since the last update. They even sent teaser photos, which I must publically admit to losing twice. The first time they were sent my computer crashed and I had to have a complete reinstall of the operating system. The second time they sent them, well, I just don't know. I can't find them now (It has not been a good month). If someone from Team 2 will send them to me again I will post them IMMEDIATELY. I will tell you this, Team 2's pen is shaping up to be a beauty! The photos they sent me were too detailed to post as teasers so you all won't be able to see everything that I saw.
Team Mongrel: Team Mongrel is having a few problems. Business or illness is keeping members out of the shop. They are hoping to make the deadline.

Team 7: I don't want to scare any of the other teams, but Team 7 reports that since they have worked out details on specialized mandrels and parts they are moving along ncely.

Team 9: Team 9 reports that they created several blanks with the intention of submitting the best one. A few of those blanks have since bit the dust. Team 9 is close to final assembly.

Remember, completed pens will be shipped via Priority Mail, at the team member's expense, to the Activities Manager (PM me for address). The outside of the package should be marked "CCC" to clearly indicate that the package contains a pen that is part of the Collaborative Creative Challenge. The package must be received by the Activities Manager by November 15, 2012. The IAP is not responsible for delays in delivery caused by the USPS.

When you ship your pen to me include a brief statement that that includes a description of the materials used in the pen, how the design was agreed upon, and a detailed explanation of what each team member contributed to the creation of the pen. I've attached a Word document that you may use if you want to. Otherwise, just write out the information however you wish.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Collaborative Creative Challenge Entry Form.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 158

mbroberg

DEADLINE EXTENSION!

Well, I've heard from a couple of teams that due to sickness, postal strikes, and for what ever other reasons the November 15th deadline might not be doable. This is the first time we have tried this type of activity on the IAP. I thought that 4 months would be enough time but that doesn't appear to be the case.

As stated in the original rules:

This is a new IAP Activity and as such it may be necessary to modify and/or amend these rules due to unforeseen circumstances that may arise during the course of the activity. Modifications will be clearly communicated to the entrants. Suggestions for improvement of this activity are encouraged via PM to the Activities Manager.

IAP Activities are suppose to be fun and enjoyable, not stressful. Therefore, the November 15 deadline is being extended to 12/31/12. Further adjustments will be made if necessary. Future Collaborative Creative Challenges will take what we have learned from this one in consideration as new timetables are developed.

So,.................Stop stressing out guys. Relax. Have fun creating your pens!

mbroberg

Team 2 Teaser

Team 2 sent some photos, too detailed to show. Here is a piece of one of the photos. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Team 2 Teaser.jpg
    Team 2 Teaser.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 462

mbroberg

Team Mongrel Teaser

A teaser from Team Mongrel

Attachments

• Team Mongrel Teaser.JPG
    Team Mongrel Teaser.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 213

mbroberg

Entry Form

To all CCC participants. Here is a simple form you can use to supply the information that is required along with your submission.:)

Attachments

• Collaborative Creative Challenge Entry Form.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 167

mbroberg

To anyone who has tried to pm me today my mailbox will be cleaned out shortly. I will PM my address to those who requested it, that is, if I know about it. I'm sorry for letting the mailbox fill up.

mbroberg

The Deadline Approaches

To all CCC Participants,

As you are all aware the deadline by which the completed pens were to be received by me was originally November 15, 2012. I had a couple of requests to extend the deadline. The new deadline is December 31, 2012. It is in your best interest that I receive your pen by that date. If you need my address please PM me (I cleaned out my mailbox:rolleyes:).

I have now had another request for an extension. On the one hand I am inclined to give the extension because this is supposed to be fun, not stressful. However, on the other hand I recognize that all teams have had the same amount of time (approximately 6 months) to complete their pens and most of the teams have worked hard to meet that deadline. I have not received any completed pens yet, but I have been told that several are on the way to me. So, the questions becomes, is it fair to the teams that worked hard to complete their pens and meet the deadline to extend the deadline again to accommodate teams that can't meet it. I can assure everyone that each team had it's own unique set of challenges to overcome to complete this project.

I do not believe that any of the teams, or any individual participant has intentionally "slacked off" when it comes to this activity. I believe that the problems meeting the deadline stem from that inconvenient situation and circumstance that we all call "Life". Or, put another way, "Stuff Happens". So here is what I have decided to do. The deadline will remain 12/31/12 but a team will not be eliminated from the activity if they fail to meet the deadline.

As of right now the judges will be rating the pens on 11 different criteria. Each criteria will be scored on a scale of 1 - 5 (5 being the best). The maximum score that any pen can receive is 55 points. (Please take note of the beginning of this paragraph that says "As of right now". By the time the judging begins there may be some revisions to the judging criteria but everything will still relate to Form, Fit, Finish, Originality and Functionality. Nothing more.) The pen(s) with the highest score is named the winner (even though their are no prizes other than bragging rights:)).

Teams that have their pens to me by 12/31/12 will receive 1 bonus point. Teams that fail to meet the deadline will not receive the bonus point. Additionally, teams that do not meet the deadline will have one point deducted from their final score for every additional week that the pen is not received. The intent is not to hurt any teams chances too severely but at the same time encourage teams that are struggling to seek out some creative ways to overcome their challenges. Future CCC's will probably be planned for longer periods of time.

Mike

glycerine

Mike, I think that sounds fair and I believe that my team's pen is on it's way to you as we speak... BUT, I wouldn't be offended or feel that it was unfair if you extended the deadline by a few weeks for the team or teams that asked, simply because I know the mail can be very sluggish this time of year!

mbroberg

Team 8's package has been received.

As stated previously, I will not open any of the packages until I have received them all. Once I do have them all I will photograph each pen and make a record of what pen belongs to what team. They will then be repackaged and sent to the first of four judges. The judges will not know the identities of the teams responsible for the individual pens. I'm trying to keep everything as impartial as possible.:)

mbroberg

Still waiting on several packages. Four very capable judges are standing by. I'll let everyone know once the judging actually begins.

vanngo5d

Haven't seen any updates since the 10th. I know the Birthday Bash is about to start and was wondering if all packages have arrived?

Don Vann

mbroberg

No sir. Still waiting. If they are not all in by the end of the bash we'll go with what we have in March.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forum Runner

mbroberg

Now that the BASH is over we will move forward on this. I have 8 out of the 10 teams entries. They have been sitting in my den, unopened, for months now. this has been a real learning experience for me. Next time things will be done a little differently. Fortunately, for me, no one is competing for a prize. However, the membership will select their favorite. I'll try to get things sorted out this week!

Top Bottom