• Sam closed.jpg
    Sam closed.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 459
  • Sam open.jpg
    Sam open.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 483
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

Truly impressive submissions so far. Keep 'em coming!

At this point I personally don't care about which is "judged best", I just want to see the terrific collaborative work from all of the teams.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Mike do you think that once all the pens have been opened a good group shot can be taken for the Home page?

We will see. Jeff decides what goes on the front page and I do not consistently take front page quality photos.

I keep coming back to look at this pen, it is really something special. I don't do many kitless pens because they tend to not have the WOW factor that pens with decorative acents have. This pen may have changed my perception.

mbroberg

Don't worry, I haven't given up on posting these. I realize it has been several days since I posted any of the CCC pens. I hope to do some more on Monday.

Last edited:

mbroberg

Team Mongrel (4)

The information provided by Team Mongrel is:

After many (probably 20 emails determining a name), team Mongrel sent another 10 or 15 determining the inspiration pen in photo. Many more followed (maybe another 20), as well as many phone calls as it passed through the team members hands. There was alot of dialog and adjustments along the way. The original idea was to have a bamboo design on the body, but that was not to be. The more contemporary design worked better , some done by hand, some by laser engraver. The steps appear to have been the biggest challenge, having multiple members using their own process to get matching results.

Members of Team Mongrel and their contribution to the creation of this pen are:

Glenn McCullough (Glenn McCullough) of Chesterfield, MI: Cap finial, cap section turned and threaded, body sleeve

Gary Nicholls (CaptG) of Otsego, MI: Body sleeve, post finial and PR on body section

Dave Rogers (DestinTurnings) of Destin, FL: Injured back prevented participation.

Mark Haynie (Haynie) of Page, AZ: Body step sections and re-made alternative ivory body section after Glenn ruined the first one!

Phil Miller (mpmopc) of La Crosse, WI: Drilled Black acrylic, Drilled alt ivory, cap brass tube Cambridge kit.

Team Mongrel provided several pictures of the creation of their pen, along with a photo of the inspiration for their design.

Attachments

• inspiration.jpg
    inspiration.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

mbroberg

TEAM DANND (2)

Blank, crafted by Terry Downing, is segmented Maple separated with 1/16 inch Aluminum. Scallops are Walnut separated by aluminum from a soda can. Sterling Silver Pen Clip.

Multiple conversations by email were had; the initial design was to hand paint the blank. The Blank was to serve as a "canvas" for the painting, Hence the lighter colored straight grained Maple. Later it was decided not to paint the blank.

Team DANND members individual contributions to the creation of this pen are:

Terry Downing (TerryDowning) of Newhall, CA: Blank Construction

Joe Aliperti (turbowagon) of Silver Lake, NH: Clip Design, turning to profile

Stephen Naylor (yorkie) of Charlotte, NC: Blank Finishing

Shawn Newton (watch_art) of Hot Springs, AR: Custom finials, final assembly, and nib tuning

Amos De Pasquale (WoodenInk) of Ferntree Gully, Victoria, Australia: Precision Drilling

Each person on the team was provided a copy of the blank (as backup should one of the steps fail and if each member was successful, the extra blank was theirs to keep.)
The pen clip is completely custom and created using a lost wax casting method.

Last edited:

mbroberg

I have one more pen to post, that of Team Penultimate (3). I'm just waiting on some information about the pen. All I know now, for sure, is that it is pretty and unique!

Mike,
YOu made our (Team Mongrel) entry look very good! I have to go by the photos as I have not seen it assembled in person. I for got to mention the upgrade nib and crystal set in the cap finial.
I am curious what we will do with these when they are done being displayed. Perhaps we will hold a drawing for what team member may keep it or maybe donate it as a fundraiser auction item for the IAP.

Last edited:

mbroberg

Mike,
YOu made our (Team Mongrel) entry look very good! I have to go by the photos as I have not seen it assembled in person. I for got to mention the upgrade nib and crystal set in the cap finial.
I am curious what we will do with these when they are done being displayed. Perhaps we will hold a drawing for what team member may keep it or maybe donate it as a fundraiser auction item for the IAP.

All I did was take a picture of the pen. YOU guys are the ones who made it look good. With my photo skills I can make good looking pens appear bad, but I can't make a bad looking pen appear good. :biggrin:

As far as what will become of the pens............I don't know yet. In the original post it was written:

"The submitted pens will become the property of the IAP. Final disposition of the pens is, at this time, undetermined. What can be guaranteed at this point is that the pens will be used for IAP site support, some charitable purpose, returned to a member of the team responsible for creating the pen, or used in some other manner for the betterment of the IAP as a community. No IAP Manager will retain the pens for personal use."

I intend to take all of the pens to the MAPG for display. If I haven't done so prior to the MAPG I will discuss the disposition of the pens with Jeff while we are there.

I missed this, or forgot or both but that will be great to use them for this purpose.

Mike,

All I did was take a picture of the pen. YOU guys are the ones who made it look good. With my photo skills I can make good looking pens appear bad, but I can't make a bad looking pen appear good. :biggrin:

As far as what will become of the pens............I don't know yet. In the original post it was written:

"The submitted pens will become the property of the IAP. Final disposition of the pens is, at this time, undetermined. What can be guaranteed at this point is that the pens will be used for IAP site support, some charitable purpose, returned to a member of the team responsible for creating the pen, or used in some other manner for the betterment of the IAP as a community. No IAP Manager will retain the pens for personal use."

I intend to take all of the pens to the MAPG for display. If I haven't done so prior to the MAPG I will discuss the disposition of the pens with Jeff while we are there.

mbroberg

In case it hasn't been noticed yet all of the photos are posted in a CCC Photo Album. I should be able to get Team Ultimate's pen photographed and posted tomorrow or Wednesday.

Any interest in another one? There would be some adjustments in either the length of time allotted for completion, the means of assigning team members, or both.

I would do this again, it was fun, frustrating, challenging and satisfying all at the same time. When the time comes for suggestions for adjustments, I will put my 2 cents in.

In case it hasn't been noticed yet all of the photos are posted in a CCC Photo Album. I should be able to get Team Ultimate's pen photographed and posted tomorrow or Wednesday.

Any interest in another one? There would be some adjustments in either the length of time allotted for completion, the means of assigning team members, or both.

mbroberg

Penultimate

First, my apologies for not getting Team Penultimate's entry posted sooner.

Here is Team Penultimate's creation. This is a Roman Harvest made from a Redwood burl Amalgamut blank and aluminum. The pen is equipped with a Schmidt nib and feed.

Team Penultimate's members and their individual contribution to the crafting of this pen are:

Dick Box (Jeweler53) of Lacy, WA: Cast the bank and turned it to size.

Tim Garlick (PSU1980) of Mechanicsburg, PA: Finished and assembled the pen.

John Twiss (Twissy) of Annesley Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire: Made the front section. John drilled it on a metal lathe and turned it on a wood lathe.

Charley Goodwin (cwolfs69) of Portsmouth, VA: Original captain took part in early discussions but was forced to drop out early in the process for personal reasons.

Dale Millere (firedkm) of Medford, NJ: Original caster, was forced to drop out early in the process for personal reasons.

tbroye

I received the pen this afternoon. It is stunning and thank to all who contributed to is making. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to open it. The pictures do not do it justice. The sword is a work of art on it own. It is now locked in a display case in the living room with my Indy 500 collection and die cast Indy car models and glass ware worth over 15K.

I didn't realize it was so large but not that heavy you guy did a masterful job and it should have gone for a lot more than I paid. I am glad the money went for a good cause.

Thanks again. now to replenish my PayPal account.

Top Bottom