The BASH!! - Tell us.........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The 9th Annual IAP Birthday Bash is now history. I hope everyone found something they enjoyed doing during the BASH. There were a lot of good entries to look at and fantastic prizes to drool over.

Many, many people make the BASH possible. Planners, judges, vendors and, of course you!! The members! The people who work behind the scenes devote many hours of their personal time to this little party. My personal thanks and gratitude go to each of you for your contributions to, and participation in the Bash!

We had a few new contests this year, didn't have some contests we have had in the past, and did a few things differently than you might have expected.

We made an effort to have the rules to all contests for which supplies needed to be ordered, or required any shop time to be posted approximately 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the BASH.

Several of the contests ran into March so that participants would have one more weekend to work on their entries.

We posted a Birthday Bash Calendar for people to keep track of what was happening.
We opened contests up to vendor sponsorship.

We created a separate Category for the "Birthday Bash". We then gave each contest its own forum within the category so things would be easier to find.

I would like to know what you thought about this year's Bash. The Bash planners get many compliments and positive comments both publically and privately. We appreciate every one of them. We like to think that we give you, the members, a fun filled February. What we really need to know is what we could do better.

Next year will be the 10th Anniversary of the International Association of Penturners. 10 years deserves a very special celebration. The goal of IAP is to host an Internet party that is "Over The Top!" You can help in that effort by letting us know what you like and what you don't like. What are we doing right and what could we do better? You can do so here or you can PM me. If you would prefer we can talk on the phone. Just PM me for the number. Not every idea will be used, but every idea will be carefully considered. Many of the changes that came about this year were the result of feedback we received last year.

We are also open to suggestions for more activities and events for our 10th Anniversary Birthday Bash. The foundation of planning for the 2014 Birthday Bash begins now!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

This is my 1st year being here during a bash and I have to admit it was fun and educational.

Thanks all that were involved putting this on. I know this can't be one of those things that takes an hour to put together...

Mike B

Haynie

Second Bash. Things went smoothly as far as I could tell. There was a strange feeling surrounding the bash this year but don't know why.

David M

It was a fun bash but felt a little cold, like if your out side but was not allowed to play on the swing. I liked the contest they were set up and ran well. I had fun with the slide pictures but I didnt enter the puzzle contest . The trivia was fun untill I won ( I think like on the 5th ) so I didnt check it much after that, didnt look at it the last few days ( I wonder if or was the " 13 " ever was an answer). I did miss seeing the pictures of the pens in the past bashes as they were posted, the smack talking as it went on and not being able to comment till your pen was posted. ( the monkey on the rocket comes to mind ). I do see that some one could take it wrong , the smack talk and get upset, but its fun to rib the ones that can take it. ( Who would bring a spaceship to a pen contest ). The heads up on the materails needed for the contest was okay and needed by some , I was looking for some rules to be added like in some of the old casing contest where you had to use some of the bullet end or something special so you couldnt make a pen before the contest started . It did give more time to enter more pen contest. I did like seeing the sponsered catagories , each contest in the own forum, was easy to track the ones I wanted.
It was a great bash and looking to see what the big 10th will bring.
David

rholiday

This was my first Bash, so I have no way to make comparisons to prior events.
The separate category for the Bash, the contest forums, and the calendar were great ideas. The contests covered a wide range of areas - which was great.
I really don't have any complaints. I think the Bash was run well.
Last point -- I would like to thank everyone associated with the Bash -- those that ran it, helped with it, ran the contest, created the puzzles / trivia, vendors, members that donated, members that created all those great projects, pictures etc.
Thanks again, I really enjoyed it!!

I'll go next. This was the second year I entered a contest. This is the first year I have won anything in the Bash :bananen_smilies039:. Next year I think we may also have a random winner in the edible pen contest. I'll also have the contestants email me a picture of the pen so it is easier for me to place full size pictures in the poll.

Triple Crown

I too have had so much fun with the BASH this year! I joined IAP right at the start of the BASH last year and enjoyed it too.

I think that all of the contests and the phenomenal pens that are made because people are stepping up to the challenge of entering a contest that they could have felt a little intimidated to enter is perfect! I entered several contests and did not make finals and I understand that feeling of disappointment, but wow, when I look at the finalists, I can see the judge's choices too. I definitely see the need for a group of judges to initially slim down the choices when the pool gets so large.

I really like the anonymity of the entries. I think it encourages people to enter and keeps people voting only for the pens. I also like that they are revealed at the same time. It's exciting! The banter and chatter may have been reduced by this, but the excitement is still there, at least for me! - I guess more so when I have a pen in the ring. The teaser pics may have been a little too small, but they kept us looking at the threads and wondering just how many people might jump in. Perhaps some really blurry photos or redaction or something would get people wondering about them and could possibly get some talking/bantering without a full revelation of the entry. But I really don't know if that would be good or not...

I also like that there are other contests to occupy us like the trivia and puzzles and wood identification… while we are anticipating the revealing of the pen contest entries. They have all been really well done!

Sorry Doug I didn't mean to continue any diversion from your OP, but I can relate with it! I LOVE THE BASH! And, I did my best! And I am proud of my non-finalist entries! And I will compete again next year! Great job everyone!! Thanks!!!

Greg

This was from a post I made earlier this week with regard to another thread. I thought of something since I posted this. And I also thought that maybe I should repost it here, as this is perhaps the right place for it...

What if, instead of the teeny tiny teaser pics (which I really did like because it kept us apprised of how many entries are coming in and I also think it kept people thinking that they should enter too), what if the original pictures were reduced to maybe 40% and then put into that jigsaw puzzle program from the puzzles forum and posted as a scrambled small version of the original entry pic. This could make the pen entries perhaps just a little bit recognizable, but not really enough to actually see how awesome the competition is. "Oh, I recognize that kit!" Or "I know that material..." People have mentioned that there wasn't the banter... this year. Maybe this could do it. Just an idea...

As I've said before, I LOVED THE BASH this year! I thought that all of the anticipation and contests ran very well! If it were the same next year, I sure wouldn't be disappointed...

Thank you all!

Greg

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mike, I'd like to see pics of pens in the contests as soon as they are made. I appreciate the comment about getting all entries equal 'air time' but it does make things kinda quiet while we wait for the contests to end too see them all.
Next, with all due respect to the secret judges, I'd like to see the forum investigate methods of increasing the amount of pens that can be in one poll and also be able to select 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices in the same poll.
I think that a truer selection of winners will be done better by the entire membership than by a few selected judges.

I have been critical of this years Bash, but I still admire your, and all the rest of the Bash planners efforts. :wink:

Well done all of you!!:biggrin:

Well this was my first bash & I loved it! We "turned" it into a family affair with my kids entering pens in the youth contest & my wife & I worked on the edible pen contest together. Although we didn't win, we still had a great time.
The only thing I would've liked to have seen done differently is the photo contest. Like Skiprat said, with all due respect to the secret judges, but I enjoy voting just as much as I like entering & I feel that it would be nice to see the photo entries & vote on them also.
All in all I loved it, all the planners did a great job & thanks to all the sponsors!
Can't wait untill next year!!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Having lived through a number of these, it now seems that each one takes on its own personality. This one started a little slow, but seemed to gain steam as time went on. While I'm very appreciative of all the sponsors and donors, naming the contests for them is a little cheesy IMO. Maybe there's a better way to thank them for their generosity. I was quite impressed at the number of pen contest entries, and am still on the fence regarding a few judges versus outright polls.

A few thoughts for next year. I would love to see a tournament of champions contest with only people who placed 1,2,3 in any years bash be allowed to compete (excludes me). While the auctions are nice, maybe they could be split between raffles and auction, or rotated every year. Seems like a few high rollers dominate that action and this would open up chances to those who can only afford a ticket or two.

I too like to see the pictures of pens as they are submitted. When they were done like that, I saw no correlation between the winners and the time of posting. I've seen several last minute entries take top prizes.

See you next year!!!

TLTHW

This was my first bash and I applaud all who contributed. The management team did a terrific job of organizing and running this event. Member and vendor support was outstanding.
It is a very difficult balancing act when deciding how much credit and exposure you give sponsors. IMHO a very good balance was struck Given the size of this organization and the bash, commercial sponsors allow us to raise the quality of prizes and this can increase participation.
I appreciate the gift certificate I won, but what I really won was breaking out of the kit pen making. The Franken Pen and Russ Fairfield contests made me stop thinking about projects and put tools to the wood. Now that I have done my first modified and closed end pens, segmenting, stabilizing and casting are just around the corner.

Thanks again to all involved including all the lurkers who just followed the forums. Maybe next year we can get 100 pens entered into a contest.

Jeannius

This was my first bash, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it go past.

I would like to see it held in late March or April.

February is the coldest month of the year here. If one works in a shed in the garden (as most Brit turners do), the temperature makes turning very difficult at this time of year.

Even as a professional, I find I do indoor jobs (like catching up on my admin from the last year) during February. Heating my workshop is almost prohibitively expensive, and I want to be able to make a profit when I work.

My low threshold for working (before I turn my heater on for an hour to be able to work at my lathe) is 3C. Only one day this last month was the w/shop temp higher than that.

There must be others who also feel that the cold weather prevents them from joining in?

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
About the lack of banter. First, I usually don't enter in to that but for the most part I do enjoy reading it. However, new folks, who don't know the regulars, sometimes don't understand that it IS banter all in good fun. I think the old timers missed the banter but I'm not sure other folks did.

Not against it at all. I just think those that missed it may be a narrow group of regulars as opposed to the majority of the members. I have a pretty well defined sense of humor so I appreciate most of the give and take but then I've been around a while!

Great bash! The only way it might have been better was to have actually won something! :biggrin:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I'm now seeing a lot of separate polls about various aspects of running the bash. Why not send out 1 survey, such as by Survey Monkey with all the questions and room for comments. Perhaps you could compile a list (if that's possible) of all (or a statistically significant number) the members who signed on in February. Just a thought that came to mind.

BradG

To have banter, there has to be something to banter about... Show the pics next year :cool:

If people want the same air time, then they will have to make sure they make their pen early.. only themselves to blame if they feel their pen has only been on show for a day or two.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I'm now seeing a lot of separate polls about various aspects of running the bash. Why not send out 1 survey, such as by Survey Monkey with all the questions and room for comments. Perhaps you could compile a list (if that's possible) of all (or a statistically significant number) the members who signed on in February. Just a thought that came to mind.

Because I know how to do polls but I am not familiar with survey monkey. :redface: I'm not in the mood to learn new things right now.:biggrin:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

Because I know how to do polls but I am not familiar with survey monkey. :redface: I'm not in the mood to learn new things right now.:biggrin:
Also, you would only get one person's opinion at a time, no discussion among members.

John Pratt

I was really looking forward to taking part in the auctions this year, but I had assumed they were not happening until it was too late. The majority of the auctions took place within a matter of three days (IIRC). I was away form the computer for a couple days do to other commitments and completely lost out. I also had no idea that they were in the fund raising threads. Could a notice of the auctions be placed on the Bash thread and could they be spread out over the length of the bash? Some fantastic creative skills were put on display throughout the bash and the contests are always interesting.

Just my thoughts and some falterings do to my own inexperience with the bash as this is only my second.

Bob Wemm

I absolutely agree with you Brad. For the first couple of weeks there was only three topics to "banter" about, Trivia, Puzzle and Wood ID.
IMHO the photos have to be put up earlier. Whether they are anonymous or not does not matter, if there is nothing to talk about then there will be no BANTER.

Bob.

To have banter, there has to be something to banter about... Show the pics next year :cool:

If people want the same air time, then they will have to make sure they make their pen early.. only themselves to blame if they feel their pen has only been on show for a day or two.

plano_harry

Michael, great job to you and all the team. Great Bash! Really looking forward to 10th. I have a new contest for you: This site is so complete and most every stone has been turned (odd pun) -- therefore, we should have a contest for the most interesting, relevent pen making question that hasn't ALREADY been asked. It would be like the library articles, you could nominate your original question that was posted during 2013. Qualifiers could be threshold number of views, replies, whatevever...

Again, thanks for a Great Bash!

Harry

Bob Wemm

There has been a lot of talk about Judging and member polls to select the winners of Contests. I appreciate and accept the facts for both points of view, however there is one way to solve the problem, if in fact one exists.

As I understand it, the Pens and Photos are Judged on a 'specific' set of criteria and then when the final # are posted, the members tend to judge on the "WOW" factor.

That is what I did, the one I liked the best got my vote, regardless of the skill of the turner. And I accept that that is not fair either, SOOO, here is my solution.

Judges pick the "Winner" on the criteria as set by the contest, and then all pens/photos listed in the poll for members to pick 1,2,&3??? on whatever criteria they feel is appropriate. Members Choice.

Just MHO.

Bob.

SDB777

Was the first time entering anything this year. And I actually placed in the top three of one of the contests.....don't know how that happened but thank you!!

As far as the contests, there seemed to be a LOT of them, and it was hard to keep track of everything going on all the time. Possibly having different start and end times for each contest would have helped(but maybe not)?

My concern for this year was on donating a prize, or being a sponsor for something:

#1: I contacted the wrong person about sponsoring a contest.
#2: My inquiry was 'forwarded to someone else'.
#3: I was never contacted by the 'someone else'.

Before you know it, the contests started and I was left 'hanging in the breeze'. I wanted to contribute....but wasn't able to find out anything.

Scott (their coming to take me away, to the funny farm......) B

Top Bottom