2018 IAP BASH Pretty Wood Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

*subject to minor edits or changes*

In addition to the Universal Contest Rules, the following rules apply:

Blank Material

-Your blank material must be wood. No plastics, no composites, no metal, no casting, no mixed wood and plastics, nor any material other than wood is allowed.

-No embellishments to the blank are allowed. This means, for example, no inlay, onlay, overlay, stickers, oops bands, CNC, laser art, segmenting, lamination, celtic knots, burning, engraving, or carving is allowed and will cause disqualification.

-Stabilized wood is allowed.

-Dyes, stains, pigmentation, paints, or any other colorants are not allowed.

Pen kit/component hardware

-Any commercially available kit/component hardware may be used, whether ballpoint, fountain, or rollerball.

-No modification to the kit/component hardware is allowed. You must use all parts of the stock kit/component set.

-Kitless pens are not allowed.

Photographs

-Two photographs are required for entry. One photograph must be clip up, nib to the left. The second photograph must be clip up, nib to the right. This gives a view of both sides of the pen. If you do not abide by this constraint, you will be asked to resubmit photographs or risk disqualification.

-Please submit photographs of maximum 800 x 600. You should hit this mark, and you are responsible for cropping and sizing your photographs. If you don't meet this requirement, you will be asked to resubmit photographs or risk disqualification.

-You may use a commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop.

-No other props are allowed.

-Use a single-colored, plain background. The color and intensity of the background affects the highlights of your pen. The background should let your pen stand out, not interfere with it.

-No montages, watermarks, borders or any other identifying marks that might reveal the identity of the maker.

To Enter

Submit your entry by email to: (wait for email address to be provided) and include the following with your entry:

-Name, Username, email address,
-the pretty wood you chose to use (please, no stories)
-the two pictures required.

Do not post your entry in this thread

One entry per person

Please send a private message to Brian G after you submit your entry to help ensure that your entry has been received.

Entries for The Pretty Wood Contest will be accepted starting February 1, 2018, and ending February 19, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. Central.

Please post questions in this thread, by private message to Brian G, or by email to (wait for email to be provided). I appreciate your patience as you wait for a response. I have limited forum access during business hours.

Get busy, good luck, and let us see your Pretty Wood Pen.

Prizes to be announced
Prizes
First -
Second -
Third -

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

I'm going to be a little picky about the photographs, because I spend too much time cropping and sizing. There's no harm in asking someone not named Brian to help.

p.s., Hi CREID! Are your shameless, thread bumping skills up for hire?

Last edited:
Question about this.

I have been a member here for about a year, but have not been active. I was wondering if you could give me an example of the pics "clip up, nib to the right" and "clip up, nib to the left?" I want to make sure I get this right. Thank in advance.

Brian G

Steve, thank you for the question. Cliff, thank you for the assist.

The purpose of the "clip up, nib to the left" and "clip up, nib to the right" is to show both sides of the pen as best as possible. The best PWP are pretty on both sides.

Here's a set of two photographs that would qualify. They have the clip on the upside of the photo, and nibs to the left and right. They also fit the 800 pixel width limit, though they are short of the 600 pixel height limit. As long as the image "fits" in an 800 x 600 pixel box, it qualifies.

Clip up, Nib to the left:

attachment.php

Clip up, nib to the right:

attachment.php

If I had used a clear plastic pen stand as the prop, I would have oriented the pen so that the final photo showed the pen on a diagonal. This is not a PWP.

attachment.php

My personal preference is to avoid visible props if I can, and tuck them underneath the material I use for the background. That's just preference, not a requirement for the contest, and that preference shouldn't dictate whether to use a simple plastic prop.

As general note for the inevitable question: What if the stock component/kit doesn't have a clip (i.e., the Panache)? My answer is in the form of a question with a suggestion: Of all the available options for hardware, did you choose the clipless one just to be difficult, or was it the ONLY hardware that would make your special piece of timber a PWP? If the former, pick a different hardware set. If the latter, are you sure? :)

Attachments

• NibL.jpg
    NibL.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,012
  • NibR.jpg
    NibR.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,008
  • DiagonalNL.jpg
    DiagonalNL.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 352
Top Bottom