2017 Superbowl Pool Information

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I decided to start this thread for the purpose of sharing info about the upcoming Superbowl Pool so everyone would have a better chance of seeing it rather than just posting in the signup thread.

For starters, I need 4 volunteers to help with filling out the grids. I need one person to randomize the numbers 1-100 and two people to randomize the numbers 0-9. I also need one person to select PATRIOTS or FALCONS for the top off the grid. This information will be used to set up the spreadsheet for the pool. I don't care if you are a participant or not - you will not gain any advantage in the game whatsoever from supplying this information.

You can volunteer in this thread or you can send me a PM.

Thanks
Edgar

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Superbowl Grid Information

For anyone who hasn't played in this, or similar pools before, here is a little further explanation of how the game works. The final results from the 2016 pool are shown in the attachments below - I included them in both xlxs and jpg formats for your convenience.

The grid will be filled out randomly & winners will be determined at the end of each quarter. As you can see in these charts, the score at the end of the 1st quarter last year was Denver 10 & Carolina 0; the intersection of 0-0 was the cell occupied by SMJ1957, so he won the 1st quarter. At halftime, the score was Denver 13 & Carolina 7; the intersection of 3-7 was the cell occupied by Digbaddy72, so he won the 2nd quarter; etc for 3rd & 4th quarter.

Now, note that the grid is broken up into 4 separately colored quadrants. Starting from the lower left quadrant and going clockwise each quadrant is assigned a quarter. The folks in each quadrant are responsible to send blanks to the winner of their quarter. So everyone in the gray quadrant had to send blanks to SMJ1957 who won the first quarter; everyone in the yellow quadrant had to send blanks to Digbaddy72 who won the second quarter.

The only way that you get out of sending blanks to someone is in the case where you win the quarter for which your quadrant is responsible. That didn't happen last year, but to illustrate: Monty won the 4th quarter last year, but he is in the 3rd quadrant, so he still had to send blanks to the winner of the 3rd quarter. If Monty had won the 3rd quarter instead of the 4th quarter, he would not have been required to send blanks to himself.

One special rule that I need to mention: If the game is tied at the end of the 4th quarter, causing the game to go into overtime, the FINAL SCORE of the game will be used to determine the winner of "Quarter 4" rather than the tie score at the end of the 4th quarter.

I hope this makes sense. Post any questions that you might have here or send me a PM.

Edgar

Attachments

• 2016 SB pool results.xlsx
    13.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 2016 Superbowl results.JPG
    2016 Superbowl results.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 288

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar

I will randomize some numbers for you!

Thanks Steve,
Go ahead and randomize the numbers 1-100 if you don't mind. You can use whatever method you prefer - write the numbers on individual slips of paper & draw them out of a hat, use random.org, or any other method that yields a fairly random distribution.

Shoot me a PM when you're finished and I'll give you my email address to send the listing.

Edgar

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I will help if needed. Don't know if I can count to 100, but I can do up to 9 or pick a team name. Can I use Broncos??

Thanks Tom,
Go ahead and randomize the numbers 0-9 if you don't mind. You can use whatever method you prefer - write the numbers on individual slips of paper & draw them out of a hat, use random.org, or any other method that yields a fairly random distribution.

Shoot me a PM when you're finished and I'll give you my email address to send the listing.

Broncos??? Never heard of 'em. :biggrin:

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks to Robert, Tom & Steve, I have 3 of my "pickers" covered. I just need one more person to randomize 0-9.

Edgar

Sataro

I'm not sure what is going on here??? Every time that I see football pool brought up, my name gets drug into the picture. Now I see Karl_99 has a new rule he wants passed. In the spirit of giving back to IAP that would be a fine rule... but considering that I retired last school year my income has been cut in 1/2 so the postage would be cost prohibitive to me.

Now on the other hand in the spirit of the game, I will offer a different challenge. During the 2015 contest I won two quarters back to back(2nd & 3rd quarters/blanks that I won are in the picture below). My challenge is this--can you tie my record? Can you win two quarters in this Superbowl contest? If so, I will send this winner a very nice box of goodies besides the normal blanks that I will need to send to the winners. I will even make it easier on you, I won my blanks in back to back quarters. You only need to win two quarters, they do not have to be back to back...

Do not let the chair bother you...I had to add a little more security measures to my home security after the blanks started coming in.

Attachments

• File Jul 09, 1 58 03 AM.jpg
    File Jul 09, 1 58 03 AM.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 220

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
30 Slots Left

We now have 70 players, so there are 30 slots left.

If we do not have 100 players by next noon CST next Tuesday, I will start taking tentative signups for a second slot. If there are still slots remaining on Saturday, I will fill them with people who would like a second slot in order of their second slot signup.

Do not start posting requests for a second slot at this time. I will let you know if and when you can start doing that.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Signups are now closed

OK, it's a little after noon here in the Houston area, so I'm going to close sign-ups for the Super Bowl pool.

We have 89 players which means that the first 11 second chance sign-ups will get a second square.

I want to review all the signups one more time to be sure that I didn't miss anyone, so there is a slight possibility that the above numbers may change, but I hope not.

I also have some honey-do projects this afternoon, so I won't be able to post the chart until later this evening. I will start a new thread when it's ready.

Thanks to all who are playing - good luck to you all.

Start packing up those blanks :)

Edgar

Top Bottom