2014 Shellcase Pen Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

[size=+1]2014 Shellcase Pen Challenge[/size]​

The Shellcase Pen Challenge is a mid-year contest to help celebrate the beginning of Summer (or Winter for members in the southern hemisphere).

The Challenge will be governed by the IAP Activity Rules. To be eligible to participate, contestants must have their first and last name posted in their profile and be able to be contacted through the IAP's private messaging system or email.

The theme is to make a pen from (or resembling) some sort of ammunition.

There are no restrictions on how you make your pen. You may use a CNC Machine, Laser Engraver, Pen Wizard, Rose Engine, Metal Lathe, and/or a Wood Lathe (etc).
The only requirements are:
  1. The pen must be made by you, for this competition, and not publicly shown prior to entry,
  2. The pen must be able to write, and
  3. The pen must incorporate some ammunition component (real or imitation).
There will be three categories:
  1. Imitation Ammo Kit - pens made from replica ammunition kits (such as the "30 Cal" and "Bolt Action" kits sold by the major kit manufacturers).
  2. Real Ammo - Full Barrel - pens made from real ammunition components (kit or kitless) where the component makes up a complete barrel of the pen (upper, lower, or both).
  3. Real Ammo - Freestyle - pens must feature an ammunition component, but pieces may be cut, combined, conglomerated, or constructed any way you like.
    Let your creative juices flow and show us something we haven't seen before.
You may enter one pen (not one in each category).

I will create a thread where you may post up to 3 photos of your pen along with a description of it. Photos must follow IAP forum guidelines and be posted as IAP-hosted imbedded images or attachments. The entry period is July 1, 2014 - July 31, 2014. A voting poll for each category will be created and run from August 1, 2014 to August 7, 2014. If there is any confusion about what category an entry belongs in, I will make the final determination.

Prizes (in addition to bragging rights) will be awarded to the winner in each category.
Imitation Ammo: a selection of Real Ammunition Pen Kits. If the winner resides in a country that prohibits real ammo pen kits, I will send pen blanks instead.
Full Barrel: a box of pen blanks from my personal stash.
Freestyle: a carbide "Easy Pen Turner" tool.

I reserve the right to give out additional prizes if I see fit.

Good luck and have fun,
Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Teaser

Do you remember this entry from a past year's Challenge? Does it spark some ideas?

14185d1249111501-cartridge-pen-contest-photos-copperheadcasing2.jpg

Sylvanite

Still Teasing

Other forms of ammunition (besides firearm ammo) are perfectly acceptable too. Take, for example, this prior entry using an arrow shaft and custom fabricated fletching:

32503d1278725350-2010-cc-judges-thread-arrow4a.jpg

Are those ideas beginning to percolate yet?

Sylvanite

The month is nearly 1/3 over and as yet there are no entries! What's keeping you? Right now, the odds of winning look pretty good. Remember, the sooner you enter, the more "buzz" your pen will get before the voting begins.

Now let's get cracking (well, not literally, but you know what I mean)!

Krash

The month is nearly 1/3 over and as yet there are no entries! What's keeping you? Right now, the odds of winning look pretty good. Remember, the sooner you enter, the more "buzz" your pen will get before the voting begins.

Now let's get cracking (well, not literally, but you know what I mean)!

Workin' on it .......

jyreene

Although it may take me til September. You know me, I'm going for the "open" challenge so it is an iterative process coming up with something unique. I could have made 5 pens in the time I've put into this pen. I hope it isn't a dud. (ha ha, although I am using a blank on it!)

I am the same way. Everything just fell into place with this. Plus I had a really really good teacher.

Sylvanite

Hurry up and enter!

Time is running out! There is only one week left to enter in the 2014 Shellcase Pen Challenge. Only a few pens have been submitted so far, so the chances of winning are quite good. Don't wait too long - hurry up and enter!

Krash

Time is running out! There is only one week left to enter in the 2014 Shellcase Pen Challenge. Only a few pens have been submitted so far, so the chances of winning are quite good. Don't wait too long - hurry up and enter!

Workin' on it .... ever heard that before? :cool:

Sylvanite

Sylvanite

And the Winners Are...

Well, the polls have closed, so without further ado, the winners of the 2014 Shellcase Pen Challenge are:

In the Imitation Ammo category:

[size=+1]Skeleton2014[/size], with his Teak and Acrylester Bolt Action Pen:

In the Real Ammo category:

[size=+1]Ironwood[/size], with his 30-06 / 458 Cigar Pen:

In the Freestyle category:

[size=+1]jyreene[/size], with his 5.56 / 30-06 Combustion Pen:

Congratulations to the winners and to all the other competitors! I thought every single entry was great!

Eric

USAFVET98

Congratulations! Great looking pens and creative ideas. I love these challenges because they always bring out out best. Thanks to Eric for puting this one on. I'm glad I'm back into turning.

Cwalker935

Congratulations to Jeffery Vogan for winning the imitation category. I thought yours was the better pen. Can I brag about coming in second or do I have to acknowledge that I came in last?

Ironwood

Well, I am very flattered and a little surprised to have won the real ammo category with my entry, thank you to all the voters. Thanks also to the other entries.

Oh, and thanks most of all to the organizers for doing all the work.

Krash

Well, I am very flattered and a little surprised to have won the real ammo category with my entry, thank you to all the voters. Thanks also to the other entries.

Oh, and thanks most of all to the organizers for doing all the work.

I thought yours was the prettiest pen in the contest! Great job.

Ironwood

I thought yours was the prettiest pen in the contest! Great job.

Thanks Kelly.
I showed this pen to the guys at the local gun shop, they also liked it, I could have sold it to each one of them.
If I can get some more 458 shells, I will make a few more.

Sylvanite

The Prizes

The prize packages are on their way to the winners. They are:

For the Imitation Ammo Contest, a selection of real ammo pen kits, in 30-06 Sprg, 25-06 Rem, 308 Win, and 243 Win calibers (and a bushing).

attachment.php

For the Real Ammo Contest, a box of blanks from my own stash.

attachment.php

And, for the Freestyle Ammo Contest, a carbide Easy Pen Turner tool.

attachment.php

I hope you enjoy them!

Eric

Attachments

• CPCKits.jpg
    CPCKits.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 373
  • CPCBlanks.jpg
    CPCBlanks.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 347
  • CPCEWT.jpg
    CPCEWT.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 329

Janster

..I don't know how I missed this event but it wouldn't have mattered. All the pens entered were way above my skill levels. Congrats to all the winners!...Be well....Jan

Top Bottom