2013 BIRTHAY BASH!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
:RockOn:The 9th Annual IAP:cake:Birthday Bash:present:is right around the corner!:bananen_smilies051:

For those of you who may not know what a Birthday Bash is, it is best described as a month long, on-line celebration of the public premiere of the IAP.​

Since going public in 2004 the IAP has become the absolute best website for penturners, bar none.​

In fact, the IAP rates highly when compared to any forum community.​

The 9th Annual IAP Birthday Bash starts on February 1, 2013. Keep an eye on the Activity Manager sub-forum because, in response to member's requests the rules to most, if not all, pen turning contests will be posted by January 15.

:cake::rotfl::clown::party::present::highfive:

:confused:So what is in store for you?:befuddled:

First of all, there will be contests and the opportunity to win some mind-blowing prizes. We're not talking junk folks, we are talking about prizes worth, in many cases several hundred dollars.

The vendors who support the IAP throughout the year really step up during the month of February.
They donate fabulous prizes.
Please remember that when you are shopping for supplies:wink:

Members of all penturning skill levels will be able to find a contest for them.
There are even contests for people who have never turned a pen in their life.

Contests planned as of this post (subject to change) are:

The 3rd Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Slimline Challenge

The R & B Crafts Freestyle Pen Contest

The Exotic Blanks Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest

The Berea Hardwoods Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest

The Smitty's Pen Works Beginner Beautiful Pen Contest

The Youth Beautiful Pen Contest

The Modified Pen Contest (Frankenpen)

The Edible Pen Contest (yes, you read this correctly)

The Classic Nib Wood Identification Contest

Casting Contests

Creative Mug Shots Contest (submit a photo of your IAP coffee mug or pencil cup in a unique situation or setting)

Auctions

The Match the Shop Contest

Photo Contests

Daily Trivia Contests

The members will vote for the best library article submitted within the last year as well as vote for the best featured pen that appeared on the front page of the site within the last year.

Of course we will also hold the exciting and ever popular Annual IAP Donation Drawing.

There is always a possibility of one or two more surprises!:rolleyes:

As if that wasn't enough our vendors, yes the same vendors who have already supported the IAP by donating many fantastic prizes will be offering some unbelievable discounts and specials on their merchandise!
If you need supplies February is the time to buy!

So get ready to have some fun, turn some pens, take some photos and just have an overall fun month!

See ya there!

Last edited:

markgum

PARTY TIME!!!! :bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051: :bananen_smilies051: :bananen_smilies051:

it's like a month long super-bowl party......

mbroberg

(((( EDIBLE )))) that should be interesting

Does the ink have to be edible as well? What about the spring and/or the transmission? I have heard about "non toxic glue" for elementary school kids but I have never heard of edible CA glue (the "C" being related to cyanide???).

The rules for this years contest have not been submitted yet. The last time we held this contest, in 2011, the pen had to be 100% edible. The pen did not have to be functional but if it was there were extra points involved. The finished product just had to be recognizable as a pen. So you might have to use cookie dough for glue, food coloring for ink, whittle a peanut down to a nose cone. It takes some serious "out of the box" thinking.

I want to stress, that was last time. The rules for this year may be different. They will be posted as soon as they are finalized.

John Den

Can't wait for the entry forms to appear so I know what to do. The pen's ready, only the pictures etc. are needed,
Regards,
First timer John

brownsfn2

Is there a way to view the pictures of pens that were submitted in last year's bash? I am trying to remember what some of them looked like for certain categories. Thanks!

Hendu3270

Hendu3270

I actually did a search for "contest poll", and was able to find the poll announcement threads that had the link for the actual poll, but it said I don't have permission to view the poll thread. :frown:

mbroberg

Is there a way to view the pictures of pens that were submitted in last year's bash? I am trying to remember what some of them looked like for certain categories. Thanks!

I was able to find this article on last years contest. Pretty interesting. It's a pdf of a magazine article and was posted back in March 2012.

http://www.kurthertzog.com/articles/wtd37penmakingcolumn19red.pdf

That particular contest was not a part of last year's Bash.

Hendu3270

I was able to find this article on last years contest. Pretty interesting. It's a pdf of a magazine article and was posted back in March 2012.

http://www.kurthertzog.com/articles/wtd37penmakingcolumn19red.pdf

That particular contest was not a part of last year's Bash.

Ahh, I gotcha. Sorry about that.

mbroberg

The bulk of the photos from last years contests are not available. Sorry. We will attempt to establish a photo album for all of the photos submitted to the 2013 Bash.

mbroberg

:bananen_smilies027:We are down to HOURS now folks.:bananen_smilies039:

Can you feel the electricity in the air?
It's almost here!​

The Birthday Bash Calender is not completely up to date as of right now because contest timelines are still being finalized. It should be up to date be later this evening.​

Last edited:
Top Bottom