2012 Bash Pre-Contest Announcement!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Here are the basic guidelines for my contests to help you get your "shopping list" filled and a plan in place. More details will be posted with the announcement threads that will start each contest. At least one of these 3 contests should work for everyone. If you don't think any of these are for you, there is always the Ugly Pen Contest to fall back on.:eek::biggrin:

If anyone has any concerns about my contests, please shoot me a PM and I'll look it over and get back to you.

Should be a great Bash again this year. Be watching for the Actual announcement threads in a few weeks.:party:

Beginners Beautiful Pen Contest
Here are the rules:
1 - This is a contest to find the most beautiful pen made by a beginner. It is open to any member who has been making pens less then six (6) months and there are some great prizes to be won. This contest is being held on the "honor system", since I can't actually check on how long you've been turning, I hope you will abide by this system. If you are a new member but have been making pens for longer then the last six (6) months, there are still contests for you to enter and win so please let the real "newbies" have a chance to show their work and maybe win something .
2 - It must be a ballpoint kit pen with no alterations beyond what the kit instructions call for. No roller ball, fountain, or "kitless" pens will be accepted in this contest. There is a contest for other kit types, it is the Beautiful Pen Contest. There is also a contest for your "kitless" creations, it is the Freestyle Contest.
You can cast, dye, inlay, segment, or whatever in this contest. Just be sure you follow the KIT requirements as this is not a modified or freestyle contest.
No laser or decal work please. This is a beautiful pen contest not a beautiful decal or laser work contest.

Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest

Here are the rules:

1 - It must be a kit pen. Minor alterations such as custom finials, swapped out "pimp stones", or "hidden" clips will be allowed. Do not go overboard on any alterations to the kit, this is not the modified contest. If you think it is possibly a questionable alteration, you had best not do it. Pens deemed "modified" by the judges will not be allowed. Please don't force this to happen, there are other contests to display those skills in besides this one.
No "kitless" pens will be accepted in this category. There is a contest for your "kitless" creations, it is the Freestyle Contest.
You are required to include the name of the kit and a brief description of the pen and/or materials and a photo. Feel free to use wood, acrylic (any version) clay or whatever medium you like. You can cast, dye, inlay, segment, or whatever in this contest. Just be sure you follow the KIT requirements.
No laser or decal work please. This is a beautiful pen contest not a beautiful decal or laser work contest.

Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest (Freestyle)

Pretty much self explanatory—Anything goes in this one.
Not important when you started, it just has to be a pen that wasn't shown publicly prior to February 1st 2011.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I can't wait to see some mind blowing creations this year. Especially with the pictures that have been posted in the last few months. I'm saving my pen for the Ugliest Pen Contest:biggrin:

wiset1

I can't wait to see some mind blowing creations this year. Especially with the pictures that have been posted in the last few months. I'm saving my pen for the Ugliest Pen Contest:biggrin:

I had an idea for one of these but I think it might offend people so I may have to run it by a moderator first :biggrin: Not sure about the other contests, but I have an idea for the ugly one, ha ha ha.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Here are the basic guidelines for my contests to help you get your "shopping list" filled and a plan in place. More details will be posted with the announcement threads that will start each contest. At least one of these 3 contests should work for everyone. If you don't think any of these are for you, there is always the Ugly Pen Contest to fall back on.:eek::biggrin:

If anyone has any concerns about my contests, please shoot me a PM and I'll look it over and get back to you.

Should be a great Bash again this year. Be watching for the Actual announcement threads in a few weeks.:party:

Here are the rules:
1 - This is a contest to find the most beautiful pen made by a beginner. It is open to any member who has been making pens less then six (6) months and there are some great prizes to be won. This contest is being held on the "honor system", since I can't actually check on how long you've been turning, I hope you will abide by this system. If you are a new member but have been making pens for longer then the last six (6) months, there are still contests for you to enter and win so please let the real "newbies" have a chance to show their work and maybe win something .
2 - It must be a ballpoint kit pen with no alterations beyond what the kit instructions call for. No roller ball, fountain, or "kitless" pens will be accepted in this contest. There is a contest for other kit types, it is the Beautiful Pen Contest. There is also a contest for your "kitless" creations, it is the Freestyle Contest.
You can cast, dye, inlay, segment, or whatever in this contest. Just be sure you follow the KIT requirements as this is not a modified or freestyle contest.

Here are the rules:

1 - It must be a kit pen. Minor alterations such as custom finials, swapped out "pimp stones", or "hidden" clips will be allowed. Do not go overboard on any alterations to the kit, this is not the modified contest. If you think it is possibly a questionable alteration, you had best not do it. Pens deemed "modified" by the judges will not be allowed. Please don't force this to happen, there are other contests to display those skills in besides this one.
No "kitless" pens will be accepted in this category. There is a contest for your "kitless" creations, it is the Freestyle Contest.
You are required to include the name of the kit and a brief description of the pen and/or materials and a photo. Feel free to use wood, acrylic (any version) clay or whatever medium you like. You can cast, dye, inlay, segment, or whatever in this contest. Just be sure you follow the KIT requirements.

Not important when you started, it just has to be a pen that wasn't shown publicly prior to February 1st 2011.

CLARIFICATIONS:

These are 3 separate contests you may enter all 3 if you meet the requirements (for the Beginner contest)

The laser work also refers to laser inlay kits as well as engraving. These kits show the design talent and workmanship of the kit maker more so than the actual turner, therefore they will not be allowed in the beginner or intermediate contests.

As far as the Freestyle(Advanced) contest goes, they are fair game to use there if you so choose.

Thanks,

Landon

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
No one has "entered" yet as the contest announcement has not been made yet. Be on the lookout for the contest announcements to begin the Bash.

I am new to the IAP and only recently been acquainted with the topic "Bash" so I have some questions.

1. What is the "Bash"?
2. For the contest does the pen need to be present with the owner or are pictures sent in?
3. Can you please explain anything else that a newb wouldn't already know to cut down on more questions later?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmmm

I promise I won't enter any of my beauties made for me by IAP members --- including Hunter-27 ...... honest I won't ..... honest.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The one question that was not answered was whether the event is a real event or an internet event. I still don't understand. I will read up more and will want to be involved, but I am uncertain of the details.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
This is an Internet event. Everything takes place on the forum. Most submissions for contests (pens, castings, trivia answers, etc) are done by email. some are done by posting directly in a thread. Most of the winners are determined by polls posted for, and voted on by the membership although a few are determined by premier judging panels. Our fine vendors donate many great prizes and some offer specials on their products throughout the month. All in all it is a month of fun and prizes on the IAP from the comfort of your home (and shop).

RSidetrack

I may have missed it when reading, but when does this start/end? How do you sign up? Though I did notice this is the pre-contest announcement :)

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I may have missed it when reading, but when does this start/end? How do you sign up? Though I did notice this is the pre-contest announcement :)

Exactly :wink::biggrin:

Landon, are there timelines/ deadlines on these entries? Maybe I missed it.:redface:
Yes there are, keep watching the forum for the all the contest announcements, they will start showing up soon. :smile-big:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

Here are the rules:

Here are the rules:

MORE CLARIFICATION ON LASER USE.

Here is a question that was asked of me and my response to it. (posted with permission from the sender) It was a very valid question and I felt it deserved mention for everyone to see.

Question---"When you specified no laser work, were you just targeting kits and laser work done by third parties? This is a good rule.

I own a laser and have used it creatively in my pen making. Would I be able to submit a pen that incorporated some of my own laser work, or is this also not allowed?"

Answer---
"In keeping with the idea to keep a level playing field in the Beginners and Intermediate contests, we have elected to use the "no laser work" rule. You can enter more than one contest and I would encourage you to go all out and put those skills to work in the Freestyle contest. We want the other(beginner and intermediate) contests to be more about the pen, the blank, and the workmanship of the "freehand" turner and less about the fancy CNC machines and the expensive laser equipment. While using this other equipment makes use of very special skills, those skills are allowed to be shown in other contests."

I hope this adds clarity to those who might have had similar questions. I will put this in the contest rules and announcement post that will be coming out soon.

Landon

Carl Fisher

Hrmm, we started in August not counting what we turned at the woodworking show CSUSA booth. so I would just make the 6-month cutoff I think.

I might go intermediate though just because. Maybe I'll let Chrissy or the kids enter in the beginner class.

Are rollerball and fountain pens allowed in the intermediate class? It's just beginner that is limited to ballpoint correct?

Last edited:
Top Bottom