2011 Casing Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Cool Ernie!!:biggrin:

For any new guys or anyone that needs a little inspiration, then take a look at the last two years contests.

2009 Contest

2010 Contest

I'm also really hoping that since Jeff Powell isn't hosting this year, then it's cos he's got an awesome entry:biggrin:

Good luck to everyone, but most of all have fun!!!:biggrin:

Uh yikes, me too Steve! Was on vacation all last week and missed this thread somehow! Fortunatly I have 3 weeks get on it. Got a long drive ahead to get my thoughts together.

Linarestribe

Sylvanite said:
Last year's offer repeated:

Have you wanted to make a rifle cartridge pen but didn't know how? Would you like to enter the "casing" pen challenge, but don't have the experience or materials? If so, then I have an offer for you.

Send me a PM and I'll send you a bullet pen kit. I only have a few requirements:[*]You must be in the USA (sorry - but legal restrictions prevent me from shipping internationally).
[*]You haven't made a cartridge pen before. If you have, then you already know where to get parts and how to make the pen.
[*]You'll make your pen for the challenge and post a photo of it here.
[*]You help defray the cost of the kit components and postage. I'm asking for $5.00.
[*]Here is the best part - donate that $5.00 to the IAP.
That's it. Just donate $5.00 to the IAP and I'll send you a kit to use in the contest. No guarantees on caliber or plating - but it will be a kit you can complete simply by turning an upper barrel from your own blank. This offer is open for two weeks, or 10 takers - whichever comes first.

Remember, you don't have to be an expert penmaker to participate. There is a prize drawing for all entries.

Now, let's see some more pens!

Regards,
Eric

Great offer. I'll take you up on it

Jorge

Snowbeast

Here goes nuthin....

Extended .308 with a buffalo horn filler and a slightly lengthened .480 Ruger also with a buffalo horn filler. Home built clip. Parker refill so it's kinda short.

This is also my first totally kitless endeavor.

At least I have a chance at the drawing....:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0788 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0788 - Copy.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0791 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0791 - Copy.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 262

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam

For any new guys or anyone that needs a little inspiration, then take a look at the last two years contests.

2009 Contest

2010 Contest

I'm also really hoping that since Jeff Powell isn't hosting this year, then it's cos he's got an awesome entry:biggrin:

Uh yikes, me too Steve! Was on vacation all last week and missed this thread somehow! Fortunatly I have 3 weeks get on it. Got a long drive ahead to get my thoughts together.

Dang Jeff, guess I should of sent you a pm. I figured you were working on some crazy masterpiece.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Extended .308 with a buffalo horn filler and a slightly lengthened .480 Ruger also with a buffalo horn filler. Home built clip. Parker refill so it's kinda short.

This is also my first totally kitless endeavor.

At least I have a chance at the drawing....:biggrin:

Well that's one sweet kitless pen for your first. I really like the look of it.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
45-70 with home poured lead bullet dressed in buffalo bone and a copper cigar clip. Parker style transmission. Was able to catch a little of the bone marrow on one side for a little character.

Thanks for looking,
Brian

Hey Brian, does that thing have a refill in it?

D.Oliver

Quick question; has anyone made casing pen utilizing 9mm casings? I tried the search function, however 9 is too short and/or common and wasn't utilized and with search words of "mm" and "casing" there were simply too many results to look through. I have a few 9mm casing and am tempted to try and get something togather for this contest but haven't the faintest idea where to start.

Sylvanite

...has anyone made casing pen utilizing 9mm casings?
I haven't made one myself, but I've seen it done. There are a couple of challenges using 9x19mm Parabellum caliber.

First of all, the bullets used are usually round-nose -- sometimes FMJ, sometimes with a large hollow point (truncated cone and wadcutter bullets are also available, but are less common). That does not make for an attractive nib shape.

Secondly, 9x19mm has a tapered case, which can limit its application as a centerband or finial. In other positions, you may need to take the taper into account for esthetics.

Some pens use a 9x19mm shellcase and a rifle bullet, but that just looks wrong to me.

If you can overcome those hurdles, you'd have a very unusual pen, and I'd enjoy seeing it. If you want to go with a rifle caliber but don't have the brass, send me a PM and I'll see what I can set you up with.

Regards,
Eric

workinforwood

2009 Contest

2010 Contest

Dang Jeff, guess I should of sent you a pm. I figured you were working on some crazy masterpiece.

That would have helped, but I'll be ok. I spent a couple hours at Cabella's yesterday snooping around the store, then another hour at Lowe's, and a few hundred dollars later I at least have supplies and I have a really good idea what I want to do, just a matter of whether I'm capable. I'll have at least 2 full weekends to work on it, that should be enough time. I've seen some great work completed so far, so we'll just have to see what happens. It's not all about winning, it's just about having fun.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeff, you weren't wrong when you said that there are some great pens so far. I have absolutely no influence over the results but I do have a favourite so far....:biggrin:
..........however, Guys, if Jeff comes up with a corker, then you will all have your work cut out for you!!!:biggrin:

Snowbeast

The buffalo horn is mounted on a piece of 3/8" tube and tenoned to fit the .480 case. I left it a bit long to go over the .308 case neck, which just happens to fit snuggly inside.

It was almost a postable design also but I cleaned up/polished the .308 case a bit too much so the .480 case is a sloppy fit.:frown: It does fit snug on a normal case. Will have to work on that some more if I do another one.

Sylvanite

Rifled Cartridge Pen - A Bullet Pen with a Twist

Ok, Here's an idea I've been experimenting with. 30-06 cartridge and cocobolo. It features a case head finial with hidden clip as I've done previously, but this time I cut a spiral pattern on the brass and echoed it in the wood.
RifledPen.jpg

It's meant to portray the rifiling in the barrel of the gun (yes, I know rilfes don't usually have polygonal rifiling and it's way too fast a twist, but I took a bit of artistic license).

I hope that helps get things going,
Eric

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I like it alot Eric. The spiral effect on it kind of hypnotizes you as well. Looks like we're gonna have to move the bar up a couple of notches with the last couple of entry's!!

ohiococonut

Ok, Here's an idea I've been experimenting with. 30-06 cartridge and cocobolo. It features a case head finial with hidden clip as I've done previously, but this time I cut a spiral pattern on the brass and echoed it in the wood.
View attachment 55091

It's meant to portray the rifiling in the barrel of the gun (yes, I know rilfes don't usually have polygonal rifiling and it's way too fast a twist, but I took a bit of artistic license).

I hope that helps get things going,
Eric

Actually HK and LaRue use polygonal rifling so there's nothing wrong with that. And how many people would actually count the twist rate let alone know what it is or supposed to be? Aesthetically I like it! And the chrono/target props :biggrin:

I'm a long time shooter/reloader/wildcatter so I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this contest :wink: I would join in but would only be in it for the random drawing since I'm pretty much limited to kits and wouldn't want someone with much more imagination to miss out on it.

workinforwood

9mm Gatling Pen

A tribute to the Gatling gun, this pen is bronze and copper with a rollerball refill. The pen nib is a 9mm shell with actual copper casing and the back of the pen unscrews to change the refill.

Gatlin1.jpg

Gatlin2.jpg

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
The Eagle has landed

My entry - a dip pen with nib made from casing and an eagle carved in relief on the barrel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• CC2011 Eagle.JPG
    CC2011 Eagle.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 592
  • CC2011 1.JPG
    CC2011 1.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 591
  • CC2011 nib.JPG
    CC2011 nib.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 603
  • CC2011 Writing.JPG
    CC2011 Writing.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 589

Snowbeast

Hans,

Thanx.

Check my post just before Eric posted his 'rifling twist' for the howz it work description.

Hey. Win, lose or draw, it's all for fun. I might just submit another wild hair I had recently.

Snowbeast

EBorraga

In Memoriam
9mm Gatling Pen

A tribute to the Gatling gun, this pen is bronze and copper with a rollerball refill. The pen nib is a 9mm shell with actual copper casing and the back of the pen unscrews to change the refill.

Looks like that long drive got your mind working. Pretty wild design and execution. It reminds me of something GreenEyedBlackCat would make.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
We're about halfway through the contest. All the entries so far are extremely creative. Hopefully we get some more people to join in. If not that leaves everyone with some good odds of winning something.

Top Bottom