2011 Casing Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
2011 Casing Challenge

The casing challenge is a little contest that is run to celebrate Independance Day. Steven Jackson (Skiprat) has graciously volunteered to help with things again this year.​

This year will be a little different. There will be no theme to it. It will be an open competition for everyone. It doesn't matter if you have a CNC Machine, Metal Lathe, or a Wood Lathe. Everyone will compete against
everyone. There will only be 3 rules.
Rule 1 - You must use some form of bullet casing in your pen
Rule 2 - The pen must be able to write when completed
Rule 3 - The pen must be made by you​

Voting will be a hidden vote where everyone can vote. There will be 5 prizes awarded.
1st place - $100.00 gift certificate to Craft Supplies
2nd place - $50.00 gift certificate to Craft Supplies
3rd place - $25.00 gift certificate to Craft Supplies
4th place - $25.00 gift certificate to Craft Supplies
And the last prize will be a random name pulled from all the entries. They will also receive a $100.00 gift certificate to Craft Supplies.​

The contest will start July 1st and end at 11:59p.m. July 31st.
Voting will start on August 1st and will end at 1:00p.m. August 7th.​

"To be eligible to participate in any IAP activity your penturners.org member profile must include your real first and last names and your city and state (US) or the location identifier appropriate for your country of residence. Activity participants must be able to be contacted by the penturners.org private messaging system and/or have a valid email address registered with penturners.org."

You can post pictures of completed pen in this thread​

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Cool Ernie!!:biggrin:

For any new guys or anyone that needs a little inspiration, then take a look at the last two years contests.

2009 Contest

2010 Contest

I'm also really hoping that since Jeff Powell isn't hosting this year, then it's cos he's got an awesome entry:biggrin:

Good luck to everyone, but most of all have fun!!!:biggrin:

Alexanderpens

Thanks for the links skip! Nearly had a heart attack knowing what wonders will crop up this year. Can't wait to see everyones work!

penmaker1967

this sounds interesting i will get started on it after i get done with this week long show that starts thursday of this week.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Seamus, unless Ernie says otherwise, then the pen should be made especially for this contest. However, if you've already made it ( but it hasn't been shown here or on any other site before) then it should be fine.
One of our main objectives was to keep the contest and the rules as simple as possible. :biggrin:

johncrane

Hey Steve a BIG Thanks for stepping up too the plate! your quick wit and fast thinking is what i like :biggrin:, anyway l hope all goes well for ya, now my first question how many entries are we allowed.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I'm in agreement that as long as the pen hasn't been showed you can use it. As for the amount of entries allowed, we'll set a limit of 3 entries per person.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
OK folks, this thing officially starts in less than 9 hours. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Max, don't leave it till the deadline:eek: You'll be sorry:rolleyes:

Here's how to play it......:wink:

Enter a cool casing pen........( you wouldn't have a problem, I've seen your work)

Everyone sees it and thinks....'Mmmm I can do that' and also enters one.

You see what everyone else enters, then you raise the bar with another entry.

Everyone goes :eek:GULP:eek: and tries to beat you.

And so the cycle continues........

until....................

..........the big boys come out to play and blow us all away!!!!:mad:

However.......Ernie ain't so dum!!!! :tongue: So he included the 5th Lucky prize that will go to someone just for entering!!! How cool is that????:eek::biggrin:

So.....who's gonna be the Braveheart and post the first one????:confused::biggrin:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Terry, it doesn't have to be kitless. It just has to have some sort of Bullet Casing in the pen. It could even be a kit that all the vendors sale. If you don't enter you have no shot at winning free money!!!

GoodTurns

First round?

Am I in the lead?

I have bought and sold many cartridge pens...this is the first I made from scratch (and I included scratches!) 45-70 cartridge with a 45 cal black powder sabot round. May to try to make something with a chance...but 1st is good!!!!!

Attachments

• cart closed.jpg
    cart closed.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 225
  • cart open.jpg
    cart open.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 231

GoodTurns

cartridge #2....capped pocket pen

this is FUN! 30.06 with a 45-70 cap.

Attachments

• cap cart closed.jpg
    cap cart closed.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 206
  • cap cart open.jpg
    cap cart open.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 240

terryf

Note to self: Double check that cartridges with primers that look spent, are actually spent!!

On the upside, that TM32 drill chuck is built like a block sh1t house :)

TomW

Note to self: Double check that cartridges with primers that look spent, are actually spent!!

And wear the suit from your avatar whenever in doubt...

Tom

terryf

and what is it you do for a living?

Thats exactly why Jon, we become way too relaxed about these things!!!!

I actually thought about casting some TNT the other day - would make a way cool pen, dont ya think?? I can picture the instruction sheet - M1A1 cap required to complete this kit :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

GoodTurns

I actually thought about casting some TNT the other day - would make a way cool pen, dont ya think?? I can picture the instruction sheet - M1A1 cap required to complete this kit :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

how much heat is generated in the casting? I understand TNT on it's own is stable enough and needs an ignition source....

Maybe just some of the tnt wrapping paper around a tube? hmmmm

terryf

how much heat is generated in the casting? I understand TNT on it's own is stable enough and needs an ignition source....

Maybe just some of the tnt wrapping paper around a tube? hmmmm

TNT is very stable even when heated - it melts at 80C and auto iginition temps are above 300 so its quite safe to melt and cast. Just not sure it would be worth the trouble as it looks kinda bland.

The paper is just as boring unless you can get the original russian wax paper with the writing on it - would you like to give it a try Jon?

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Am I in the lead?

I have bought and sold many cartridge pens...this is the first I made from scratch (and I included scratches!) 45-70 cartridge with a 45 cal black powder sabot round. May to try to make something with a chance...but 1st is good!!!!!

Looks like this thing has started off with a bang. I've got a feeling your 3rd entry will be on target:biggrin:.

terryf

Am I in the lead?

Looks like this thing has started off with a bang. I've got a feeling your 3rd entry will be on target:biggrin:.

Indeed.............my ears are still ringing!!

Rick P

I'll have to give this one some thought............I do have several spent 300win/mag, 308win/mag, 45-70, .44mg and .223 shells if anyone needs a few for the cost of shipping.

Sylvanite

New turner challenge (and offer)

Last year's offer repeated:

Have you wanted to make a rifle cartridge pen but didn't know how? Would you like to enter the "casing" pen challenge, but don't have the experience or materials? If so, then I have an offer for you.

Send me a PM and I'll send you a bullet pen kit. I only have a few requirements:
  1. You must be in the USA (sorry - but legal restrictions prevent me from shipping internationally).
  2. You haven't made a cartridge pen before. If you have, then you already know where to get parts and how to make the pen.
  3. You'll make your pen for the challenge and post a photo of it here.
  4. You help defray the cost of the kit components and postage. I'm asking for $5.00.
  5. Here is the best part - donate that $5.00 to the IAP.
That's it. Just donate $5.00 to the IAP and I'll send you a kit to use in the contest. No guarantees on caliber or plating - but it will be a kit you can complete simply by turning an upper barrel from your own blank. This offer is open for two weeks, or 10 takers - whichever comes first.

Remember, you don't have to be an expert penmaker to participate. There is a prize drawing for all entries.

Now, let's see some more pens!

Regards,
Eric

EBorraga

In Memoriam
What a great offer Eric. Maybe this will jump start some of the Newer Members who were afraid to try the bullet pen.

Besides all you have to do is enter a pen to be eligible for the $100.00 prize. It's a random name out of the hat. Pretty good odds right now.

Last edited:

bbuis

.50 Cal with Black Lucite. One of my first Lucites and my only casing to date. It's not much but it's something. LOL :biggrin:

penmaker1967

how do you donate the money to IPA i dont have a paypal account but would like to try . thanks for the offer. just pm me with the details please.

45-70 with home poured lead bullet dressed in buffalo bone and a copper cigar clip. Parker style transmission. Was able to catch a little of the bone marrow on one side for a little character.

Thanks for looking,
Brian

Attachments

• Buffalo bone and 45 -70 003 (Medium).jpg
    Buffalo bone and 45 -70 003 (Medium).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Buffalo bone and 45 -70 004 (Medium).jpg
    Buffalo bone and 45 -70 004 (Medium).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 222

LarryDNJR

Any available? I'd like to do this again and donate $5.00 to IAP to get one for the contest. Let me know thanks!

LarryDNJR

Last year's offer repeated:

Have you wanted to make a rifle cartridge pen but didn't know how? Would you like to enter the "casing" pen challenge, but don't have the experience or materials? If so, then I have an offer for you.

Send me a PM and I'll send you a bullet pen kit. I only have a few requirements:
  1. You must be in the USA (sorry - but legal restrictions prevent me from shipping internationally).
  2. You haven't made a cartridge pen before. If you have, then you already know where to get parts and how to make the pen.
  3. You'll make your pen for the challenge and post a photo of it here.
  4. You help defray the cost of the kit components and postage. I'm asking for $5.00.
  5. Here is the best part - donate that $5.00 to the IAP.
That's it. Just donate $5.00 to the IAP and I'll send you a kit to use in the contest. No guarantees on caliber or plating - but it will be a kit you can complete simply by turning an upper barrel from your own blank. This offer is open for two weeks, or 10 takers - whichever comes first.

Remember, you don't have to be an expert penmaker to participate. There is a prize drawing for all entries.

Now, let's see some more pens!

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom