2010 Casing Pen Challenge!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Welcome to the 2010 Casing pen Challenge!!!
The Casing contest was created as a celebration of independence/freedom around the globe. Since 2 of the largest Countries involved in the IAP celebrate their Independence in July, this is when the event takes place. Just like in the past, we hope that the casing contest will be one of the most exciting contests of the year. We hope that this contest will not only be extremely fun but it will challenge your imagination and inspire others to do the same. This year's event is brought to you by myself, Jeff Powell, and Steve Jackson. I have organized the event and come up with a wonderful array of prizes and Steve will be organizing the judging polls and event winners. The two of us have also come together to donate a few prize ribbons for the contest as well!
The Casing contest is completely free to enter. All you have to do is follow the rules that we will discuss shortly. By entering the contest, you automatically agree to accept the judges' final decisions in the contest without protest. The contest will run for three (3) weeks after which, judging will take place. That will be July 21 at noon EST.

Rule #1 : Your pen must use all or any part of any type of shell casing or any type of arrow shaft. You can mix and match pieces, cut, slice and dice any pieces that you wish to do, so long as it was once a shell casing or arrow shaft. Please do not play with live ammunition! There are tons of alternatives where you can purchase completely safe ammunition with no gun powder or primers involved. We have members here that sell safe ammunition or you can recycle used ammunition.

Rule #2: Other than the natural colors that you might need to use from the shell casing or arrow shaft, the pen must contain a color theme that matches your countries flag. "Your Country" is defined by where you are living right now, so for example if you are American but are living or working in Iceland..then you must use Icelandic flag colors.

Rule #3: Pictures of your pen must be posted in the Judges thread. You may use your post to describe your pen in detail, which may assist the voters later on in choosing their favorite pens. No comments are allowed in the Judges thread please. You may post your pen in this thread to receive comments or post it in the SOYP if you so desire.

Rule #4: No pen bashing this year. We have decided to forgo the pen bashing because the feelings of the masses are too split between the fun of it and the sensitivity of it.

Judging and Prizes

Judging this year is going to be completely up to the public! Steve is going to create a series of hidden polls to select the winners. There will be two different types of polls. People that really go crazy with their ammunition will be eligible for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ribbons. For the more generic type casing and arrow pens, we do also have 1st ribbon for as well, so if you feel that you can't compete with some of the bigger dogs..that is not the case at all! A series of polls will select winners of the two divisions which will then go into another poll to determine the final winners.
The 1st through 3rd place winners will select 1 of whichever prize they wish from the prize list, in order of their place. The standard casing pen winner will then also choose their prize from the list. So each of the 4 winners gets a ribbon and a prize. The remaining prizes, of which we have a very generous list, will become participation prizes. Everyone one that participates will be entered into a drawing in which I will pull names and distribute your prize starting at the top of the list to the bottom for all the remaining prizes. Simple participation makes you eligible for a prize!

The Generous Prize Donor List!

Robert Becker, Editor of All American Crafts, 1 year subscription to Woodturning Design Magazine!

Curtis Seebeck, aka Mesquiteman , $25 gift cert for Turntex.com!

Ed/Dawn, Exoticblanks.com, $20 gift certificate!... not valid on guest artist merchandise.

Bruce Robbins, aka BRobbins629, a hand made silver clip of which you will have a couple options to chose from!

John Underhill, aka JohnU, a Jr feather blank set! Winner is 2nd place Mudpuppie!

Constant Laubscher, aka Constant, $20 gift certificate at Lazerlines.com!

Mannie Steglich, aka Monty, $20 gift cert at Wooden Wonders!

John Goodin, aka JohnnyCNC, $20 Appleby's gift cert!

Mark Ligget , aka Ligget, $20 gift cert, you choose the store!

Bruce Egolf , aka Bruce119, A Jr Gent Benjamin blank set !

Mike Redburn , aka Mredburn , A sterling silver slimline kit from silverpenparts.com!

Richard DeArment, aka Randbcrafts, $20 gift certificate for Randbcrafts.com!

Nolan, aka Nolan, $20 gift certificate for any blanks by Nolan!

Gary Greenberg , aka GaryMGg , A few beautiful burl pen blanks and pouches,!

John Crane, aka johncrane is donating a few beautiful Aussie burls from his native homeland!

Toni Ransfield, aka Toni, A Paua Shell from New Zealand! 1st place Winner: Eric <Sylvanite> ...he also wants world peace. :laugh:

Cathy Sue, aka CSue, $25 gift certificate at Lowes!

Keith DeLong , aka mrburls, A full size Rhodium Gentleman Rolleball kit! Winner, 3rd place, Seamus!

Last edited:

tim self

Before even starting, I want to say THANK YOU to all the contributors of some amazing awards. Again, this shows the giving spirit folks here.

workinforwood

I am already confused:confused: anyone surprised?:eek: Paua shell comes without the meat inside:tongue:

Feel free and ask any questions should you wish to enter the contest Toni. It's a very simple contest. You can simply use one of the 30/06 or 308 cartridges with cross refill already installed if you wish...that would be the bottom of the pen and then you just need to make a top section with a 7mm tube to slide over the top. You would need the color scheme to reflect the New Zealand flag, because that is where you are right now.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow!!! :eek: John and Max have certainly set the bar pretty high already!!!

Now....how about an entry or two from further afield???
Australia? South Africa? ( come on Mitch, how about an AK47 round from the Rainbow Nation?:biggrin:) Would be great to see at least one from good old Blighty too:tongue:

Sylvanite

New turner challenge (and offer)

Have you wanted to make a rifle cartridge pen but didn't know how? Would you like to enter the "casing" pen challenge, but don't have the experience or materials? If so, then I have an offer for you.

Send me a PM and I'll send you a bullet pen kit. I only have a few requirements:
  1. You must be in the USA (sorry - but legal restrictions prevent me from shipping internationally).
  2. You haven't made a cartridge pen before. If you have, then you already know where to get parts and how to make the pen.
  3. You'll make your pen for the challenge. Remember, less than two weeks remain so act quickly.
  4. You help defray the cost of the kit components and postage. I'm asking for $5.00.
  5. Here is the best part - donate that $5.00 to the IAP.
That's it. Just donate $5.00 to the IAP and I'll send you a kit to use in the contest. No guarantees on caliber or plating - but it will be a kit you can complete simply by turning an upper barrel from your own blank. This offer is open for one week, or 10 takers - whichever comes first.

Remember, you don't have to be an expert penmaker to enter. There is a division for regular cartridge pens.

Now, let's see some more entries!

Regards,
Eric

LarryDNJR

PM Sent

Have you wanted to make a rifle cartridge pen but didn't know how? Would you like to enter the "casing" pen challenge, but don't have the experience or materials? If so, then I have an offer for you.

Send me a PM and I'll send you a bullet pen kit. I only have a few requirements:
  1. You must be in the USA (sorry - but legal restrictions prevent me from shipping internationally).
  2. You haven't made a cartridge pen before. If you have, then you already know where to get parts and how to make the pen.
  3. You'll make your pen for the challenge. Remember, less than two weeks remain so act quickly.
  4. You help defray the cost of the kit components and postage. I'm asking for $5.00.
  5. Here is the best part - donate that $5.00 to the IAP.
That's it. Just donate $5.00 to the IAP and I'll send you a kit to use in the contest. No guarantees on caliber or plating - but it will be a kit you can complete simply by turning an upper barrel from your own blank. This offer is open for one week, or 10 takers - whichever comes first.

Remember, you don't have to be an expert penmaker to enter. There is a division for regular cartridge pens.

Now, let's see some more entries!

Regards,
Eric

Chuck Key

Coming Soon

Coming soon but not sure if it is crazy or generic.

Bamboo arrow shaft spined to 55/60 from Greenman. (Arrow shaft required)

attachment.php

Stainless steel point.

attachment.php

Corian/Delrin fletching (Red, White and Blue required) with stainless cage. Includes stainless nock.

attachment.php

A few more details will be added before entry in the MMXCpC.
Chuckie

Attachments

• ARROW1.JPG
    ARROW1.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 663
  • ARROW3.JPG
    ARROW3.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 658
  • ARROW2.JPG
    ARROW2.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:

workinforwood

HEY ERIC !

That pen is super duper sweet!!!! I'd love to hear more about how the gun powder is on the tube or in the pen or whatever..can't say I ever saw or heard about such a thing being done like that before.

Very generous of you to offer out some free casings btw. You are a great IAP member!

Sylvanite

I'd love to hear more about how the gun powder is on the tube or in the pen or whatever..can't say I ever saw or heard about such a thing being done like that before.
I've had a gunpowder/cartridge pen in mind for a while, and had planned to make one when you preannounced the challenge. The red, white, and blue requirement forced a redesign, which I think made the pen more interesting.

If you've made a perfect-fit pen, you know that it has an 8mm mechanism that is sleeved with a slightly larger brass tube. The mechanism of this pen will slip inside that larger tube, so I used one from a perfect-fit kit.

I step-drilled the blue and red acrylic sections such that the primer end will fit an 8mm tube, and the flame end takes the larger tube. That way, the transmission would slide up inside the lower tube and engage with the upper one. That larger tube also provided the surface for some gunpowder. I used thin CA to glue on a layer of smokeless powder (below flush of the completed pen) and then built it up with medium CA.

I had to expand the case mouth to fit the 8mm tube (and to allow the powder-coated bullet to rotate). When the exterior of the pen was complete, I pushed the mechanism in from the nib.

I hope that helps,
Eric

workinforwood

It's shaping up to be a heck of an interesting contest !!! You guys/gals are really pushing the limits! Far as how many entries you can have..well I did not see or read anything in the rules and honestly Steve and I never discussed it and Chuck has entered several pens already, so it would seem to me that how many pens you make are up to you! :biggrin:

The dragon pen...hmmm, I wouldn't bother with a case for it. I have no doubt that tons of people would want to purchase a pen like that. If I was to add to the pen, perhaps I'd make a flame stand for it to sit on a desk. Not necessary, but it's an idea and would not only increase the value but allow a good location for Toni to sign her name to her artwork which makes a big difference when it comes to art sales.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
It's shaping up to be a heck of an interesting contest !!! .

That's no maybe!!! :eek: Wow!!!:eek: They are all fantastic this year and any one so far could take first place. :wink:

( So don't let the Dragon Lady daunt you, or stop you from entering!!:tongue::biggrin:)

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeff, i actually attempted to make a pen out of a Hand Grenade. Didn't work so well. That baby is now shrapnell.(sp?)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Time is ticking away folks. Don't leave it till it's too late to post your entries here.:biggrin::wink:

If I'm not mistaken, then there almost the same amount of prizes as there are entries so far. So even if you don't win a top place, you still have a great chance at getting one of the other fantastic goodies. :biggrin:

Every one of this years entries is utterly fantastic and it is obvious that tons of effort have gone into these great pens. But the race isn't over yet!!! :tongue: Get your entry in SOON !!!:biggrin:

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I just looked over that prize list again. The whole list seems to be top prizes to me!!:biggrin::biggrin: Thanks to all of the donors.:good::good:

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mike, you are absolutely correct!!!, :redface:so I just edited my post slightly.:tongue:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Shhh, don't tell anyone but, you only have around 45 mins till Jeff closes this great contest. :wink:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Seamus, you could well be correct :redface: I may have got confused by the summer time difference. :tongue:
Let's leave it to Jeff to decide:biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I wonder who the actual judges are? LET THE MADNESS BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seamus, ( and everyone else) the judging will be by member poll. Once Jeff officially close the contest, I'll set up the polls and then the madness can take it's course.:cool:

Due to the limits on the polls, I'll have to split them into groups. I'll explain how to vote once I set them up.

workinforwood

yes, I would say the contest is closed now. I wouldn't be too critical about a few minutes either way. I saw a bunch of last minute arrivals! Now I don't know who to vote for!!! There's some real competitive pens...hmmmm ...back to the viewing post I go.

Top Bottom