HELP WANTED: IAP Local Chapter Manager - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > IAP Management Team
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 58

Default HELP WANTED: IAP Local Chapter Manager

The position of IAP Local Chapter Manager (LCM) is now open.

If the duties below look like a good match for your skills and interests, I hope you'll consider applying. (See the bottom of the post.) The compensation is low (ok, zero!), but the rewards are great.

A little background:

The IAP Local Chapter Program (LCP) was established in 2008 as a way to extend the reach of the IAP to in-person gatherings of geographically close members. The LCP has never been particularly structured, and individual chapters operate as the members see fit. Meeting formats, schedules, and activities vary quite a bit between chapters.

As we enter the 5th year of operation of the LCP, it's probably a good time to consider some changes which could strengthen the program and increase participation, while maintaining the freedom for chapters to operate in ways that they find most productive and enjoyable. We're looking for a manager who can continue the good efforts of the previous managers, and determine what the next steps should be to develop and enhance the LCP.

Some near term goals for the new manager are:
  • Work with chapter leaders to develop a "Best Practices Manual". The intent of this manual is not to dictate structure or operation to the chapters, but rather to share ideas and lessons learned about starting and maintaining a chapter.
  • Develop ideas on how the IAP can help the local chapters flourish. This might include providing financial support, an insurance program, signage, communications tools, or teaching materials.
  • Develop suggestions for inter-chapter activities such as contests and swaps.
Along with bringing a brain full of fresh ideas and boundless enthusiasm for the work, the LCM:
  • is responsible for the maintenance and development of the Local Chapter Program.
  • serves as liaison between chapter leaders and IAP management.
  • is the contact point for members wishing to start a chapter or locate an existing chapter.
  • participates in IAP management discussions and planning.
Code of Conduct for IAP Management Team Members:
  • You are an official representative of the IAP. Please be a "model IAP citizen".
  • Avoid conflict of interest - actual, potential, or perceived.
  • Do not use your position for personal gain.
  • Do not compromise the IAP, its mission, its reputation, or the members it serves.
  • Operate in an open, honest, and ethical manner.
  • Maintain the confidentiality of member and IAP information.
  • Treat all members fairly, equally, and with respect.
Key To Success:
  • Have the TIME to devote to the position...
  • ...and the DEDICATION to stick with it.
  • Be responsive - visit the site often, be in touch via email.
  • Be well-organized, good with people, and patient.
  • Be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
  • Have thick skin to fend off complaints and criticism.
  • Be able to accept constructive comments from members.
To Apply:

Send me a PM with a few sentences on why you want to do this for us, and what your background is in this area. Nothing elaborate, just short and sweet. The Management Team will evaluate applicants and make a selection.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 58

Folks, we have a new Local Chapter Manager, AND a Local Chapter Development Team! SEVEN for the price of ONE! That's hard to beat!

Our new Local Chapter Manager is Ed Brown

Our Local Chapter Development Team members are:

Steve Rice
Dave Drickhamer
Glenn McCullough
Fred Wissen
Kevin Little
John Walsh

Now, let me tell you how we got here!

As I said in the help wanted post above, the LC program has never had much structure. No guidelines for the chapters, and no real interface to the IAP other than that we host some of their discussions. The prior LCM's have done exactly what I asked -- been caretakers and kept the program running.

Now I want to move it forward, but I don't know how, in what direction, or what strategy and tactics will get us where we want to go.

I've realized that what I asked for was for someone to do a job which doesn't yet exist. We have not developed a philosophy and strategy for the LC program, and so asking someone to manage what is not even developed is unfair and probably doomed to failure. I'm asking for someone to frame a house for which the foundation isn't laid.

So, here's my revised approach to this: I've asked Ed Brown, who has been on the management team as my close adviser for many years, to lay some of the groundwork for the LC program. He's agreed to spend 6 months or so trying to figure out just exactly what the LC program should be and how it should interface to the IAP. I've also asked him to get a couple of basic initiatives under way, such as the "best practices guidebook".

There were six applicants for the LCM position. I wanted to capitalize on the fact that I have six skilled individuals interested in developing the LC program, so I asked them all to join a team, led by Ed, to do the initial work in developing the LC program. ALL have endorsed this approach and agreed to join the effort. Once the groundwork is done, Ed has asked that one of the team members take over the management of the program.

Ed has a particular skill set that makes him very effective at this kind of effort, and he's had decades of experience organizing and leading volunteer efforts. I think that with his leadership, the input of our members and the management team, and the help of our new "Local Chapter Development Team", that a solid foundation can be laid for the LC program. THEN an LC Manager can be given real direction and the chance to be effective and successful.

As an engineer, I typically spend about 90% of my effort in planning to do something, and 10% doing it. I'm not a fan of last minute changes, but in this case it was necessary. I think in the long term, this approach us a great chance of developing the right kind of program. I know that Ed and the team are looking forward to developing a program that serves our members and the mission of the IAP.

Please give them your full support and cooperation!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Excellent plan. Congrats to all!!!
markgum is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Grats, folks! :)
JohnGreco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 134

Congrats to you all.

lin.
lorbay is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads