International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Old Classifieds Archive > Business Classifieds
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 23

Default Tools??? Screwdriver kit??

Introducing the Screwdriver!!!

http://www.exoticblanks.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=60

Yes, a multi-bit screwdriver mechanism--very nice quality components. Take a look, they are immediately available.

Here is a picture of what you really receive, along with the tape measure to give you an idea of the scale of this.

The instructions suggest a 2.5" turning square, I think you could easily make this with a 1.5" x 1.5" x 5ish"

Comments welcome, as this is a new concept and we are very interested in what you think of "tools"!

Thanks
Dawn & Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screwdriver.jpg (41.0 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by ed4copies; 08-02-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: more info on headline
ed4copies is offline   Top
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Hello Ed!
I purchased some of these from a member on here awhile back.I sold a few and gave a few out as gifts.They are very nice and really not hard to make.
corian king is offline   Top
Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 36

They might make a nice Christmas gift.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 138

Ed, I really like these screwdriver kits. I have attached some pics of one of four that I have made so far. These kits came from Rocklers. You are correct in figuring that the actual turned diameter is much closer to 1.5" or less. I will have to say that I like the design of the kit you are offering more than the ones I have done. One of the biggest issues I had with the other kits was that, after boring the bit holder hole in the handle to the specified diameter, the internal collar assembly was somewhat loose in the fit. You might notice on pic# 6 that I fitted a neoprene O-ring around a machined groove that was already in the collar. After fitting the O-ring, it provided a stop point for the collar into the handle. I finished by installing the collar permanently with a strong 2-part clear epoxy. None of the four I have made have had any problems, and I carry and use my last one (walnut 2-part glue-up blank) in my everyday tool bag. Now that I know you are carrying this design, I will be ordering from you soon.

Last edited by t001xa22; 08-11-2011 at 10:52 AM.
t001xa22 is offline   Top
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

This pic might give a better idea how better craftspersons than I make the units like I have done. You can better see the machined groove in the internal collar that I fitted the O-ring on. When I epoxied my final installation, I allowed the epoxy the self-level over the collar end, totally encapsulating the rubber O-ring. You can see the O-ring, but it can never come off. According to my other recipients of the screwdrivers, they never realized that the O-ring was not part of the original assembly until I told them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScrewdriverHandleDesigns.jpg (60.0 KB, 85 views)
Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 49

Wow..those all look nice!

www.masterscroller.com
workinforwood is offline   Top
Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Chapter Steering Committee

Photos: 0

how well will that kit work without the brass Ferrel, i think it will be prone to splitting
pensbydesign is offline   Top
Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Assistant Moderator
Vendor Liaison

Location: Lake of the Woods - middle of nowhere in the great, white North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensbydesign View Post
how well will that kit work without the brass Ferrel, i think it will be prone to splitting
Brass or copper ferrules are easily made from plumbing supplies...

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
maxwell_smart007 is offline   Top
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

I agree about the making of ferrules from plumbing supplies. In addition to making a few other screwdriver kits, I have also made and fitted new handles for a bunch of my hand tools in my shop, including broken screwdrivers, unhandled files and rasps, and picks/probes. After calculating the size of the entrance bore hole, I was able to make brass ferrules for these tools within two I.D.s. Most of my smaller tools fit well into a 1/2" tubing, and my larger ones went into a 3/4" tubing. I would usually do a light degrease, light roughing with scotch pad, and a wipe or two with wipe-on poly to retard any tarnishing. The anti-tarnish treatment is not that important to me because I use these tools on a regular basis.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Snap-on produced these for Harley Davidson and handed them out as Christmas gifts several times while I was in their employ. Two straight, two Philips, four Torx tips. I'd love to see this version as a kit; maybe I'll cut the plastic off of one to see if I can re-use the socket. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_1463b.jpg (36.9 KB, 27 views)