International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Old Classifieds Archive > Business Classifieds
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Rhodium Slimlines From Smitty's

I HAVE LEARNED THAT THE "RHODIUM" SLIMLINES" THAT I SOLD ARE NOT RHODIUM AT ALL. THEY ARE AN ALLOY 60% GOLD, 20% COPPER AND 20% PALLADIUM. THAT IS A FORMULA FOR WHITE GOLD AND WILL NOT WEAR LIKE RHODIUM. I AM CHECKING ON THE SUBSTRAIT, IF IT IS NICKEL OR CHROME THEY SHOULD BE OK BECAUSE WEAR WON'T BE VERY VISIBLE WITH A BRIGHT SURFACE BENEATH A BRIGHT SURFACE.

IF YOU RECEIVED ANY OF THESE KITS AND WOULD LIKE TO RETURN THEM FOR A REFUND PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA PM AND WE WILL ARRANGE SOMETHING TO CORRECT THE ISSUE.

I STILL HAVE SOME IN MY STORE BUT WILL BE CHANGING THE FINISH TO 14.4K WHITE GOLD WHICH IS AN ACCURATE DESCRIPTION.

I APOLOGIZE WHEN I ASKED ABOUT THESE KITS I DID NOT ASK THE RIGHT QUESTION SO I WAS LED TO BELIEVE THEY WERE PLATED IN RHODIUM THAT WAS BEING CALLED PLATINUM.

Last edited by Smitty37; 07-17-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Smitty37 is offline   Top
Old 07-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Smitty they were saying Platinum because palladium is a platinum family metal, I used to set Diamonds, and found that Palladium is much easier to work with than either Platinum or white gold, the nickel in white gold does add to the hardness, but that alloy they are claiming sounds BIZARRE.
Honestly I would prefer Chrome over Platinum, it last's longer and looks as nice, I guess it a thing that can be used as a sales promotion, but either Platinum or Rhodium do sound more expensive and luxurious than Chrome.
bitshird is offline   Top
Old 07-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 23

Thank you Smitty!! You have confirmed my belief that you are a "straight shooter".

As a salesman, I would see no difficulty in selling the pen as a "white gold alloy". I am confident I could paint a picture in the mind of my customers that would make "white gold" at least as valuable as "less than 1% rhodium".

The truth does not have to hurt, in this case---at least I don't think it hurts!!

Perhaps the recent test has brought some liight to items that our suppliers just "never asked". I recall the same scenario with "Iridium point-Germany".

Speaking for myself, I am not looking for someone to "blame", I am merely interested in knowing the truth, so I can speak the truth.

I suspect, in the next year, we will see different labels on these components. So, we will know what we are buying and selling---the whole industry earns a greater degree of credibility.

And that is "a good thing"!!

Again, my congratulations to you, Smitty.

And my sincere appreciation to Terry--not only for doing the test, but for trying to educate all of us as to the MEANING of the test results--"knowledge is power".

Although some seem to prefer "Ignorance is bliss"--to each his own.

Last edited by ed4copies; 07-17-2011 at 01:08 PM.
ed4copies is offline   Top
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

You are a 'class act', Smitty!
islandturner is offline   Top
Old 07-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitshird View Post
Smitty they were saying Platinum because palladium is a platinum family metal, I used to set Diamonds, and found that Palladium is much easier to work with than either Platinum or white gold, the nickel in white gold does add to the hardness, but that alloy they are claiming sounds BIZARRE.
Honestly I would prefer Chrome over Platinum, it last's longer and looks as nice, I guess it a thing that can be used as a sales promotion, but either Platinum or Rhodium do sound more expensive and luxurious than Chrome.
I understand that palladium is a member of the platinum group...so are rhodium, iridium, osmium and ruthenium. I have said some unkind words to my supplier. Palladium is often used in place of nickel in making white gold because (in Europe especially) nickel is not allowed since it is an allergen. White Gold made with palladium is whiter (nickel causes it to have a yellowish tinge) and brighter than that made with nickel. I would have expected to see some silver in the mix....maybe leaving that out is why they call it platinum.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

I really don't see anything wrong with the kits other than they are not what they are described. If I tell you you are buying platinum then you darned well ought to be buying platinum not white gold made with palladium. If I tell you it's white gold (quite popular particularily in diamond rings), it is just fine.

I will no doubt lose some money by accepting all returns, but money is not nearly as important to me sleeping well as my integrity.

Personally I think we all learned enough that we can be asking some more important questions. But I think I have just joined the crowd of "chrome" lovers. Thank goodness I didn't order the Le Roi Elegant in Rhodium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies View Post
Thank you Smitty!! You have confirmed my belief that you are a "straight shooter".

As a salesman, I would see no difficulty in selling the pen as a "white gold alloy". I am confident I could paint a picture in the mind of my customers that would make "white gold" at least as valuable as "less than 1% rhodium".

The truth does not have to hurt, in this case---at least I don't think it hurts!!

Perhaps the recent test has brought some liight to items that our suppliers just "never asked". I recall the same scenario with "Iridium point-Germany".

Speaking for myself, I am not looking for someone to "blame", I am merely interested in knowing the truth, so I can speak the truth.

I suspect, in the next year, we will see different labels on these components. So, we will know what we are buying and selling---the whole industry earns a greater degree of credibility.

And that is "a good thing"!!

Again, my congratulations to you, Smitty.

And my sincere appreciation to Terry--not only for doing the test, but for trying to educate all of us as to the MEANING of the test results--"knowledge is power".

Although some seem to prefer "Ignorance is bliss"--to each his own.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty37 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitshird View Post
I understand that palladium is a member of the platinum group...so are rhodium, iridium, osmium and ruthenium. I have said some unkind words to my supplier. Palladium is often used in place of nickel in making white gold because (in Europe especially) nickel is not allowed since it is an allergen. White Gold made with palladium is whiter (nickel causes it to have a yellowish tinge) and brighter than that made with nickel. I would have expected to see some silver in the mix....maybe leaving that out is why they call it platinum.
On a side note, it is believed that certain nickel compounds are carcinogens as well.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Good for you Smitty! I love seeing people step up to do the right thing. You have always done right by me and your action today is just what I have come to expect from you. You're a good man.

What a long strange trip it's been!
The 60's will never leave, if we refuse to leave them!!
Bree is offline   Top
Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 108

That is the reason I do business with you Smitty. Honest as the day is long and hot.............
OLDMAN5050 is offline   Top