Old Australian Pear tree wood...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

robutacion

Hi everyone,

I've cut recently a Pear tree that has been "tagged" as "significant tree" by the local Council. This tree was the first tree planted in the yard when one of Colonial sand stone houses built in the town next door (McLaren Vale) in 1890. By far not the first house built in this town, the first one (what is left of it) is dated 1832 but this 1890 house itself, has become a town symbol and with it all the conservation and historical significance as a result.

Cutting a long story short, this tree got into troubles when a termite nest and some termite damage was found in the tree and under the root system by me. After all the Council inspections based on my report, the tree had to come down and the termite nest eradicated ASAP.

I manage to get the approval for its removal and disposal so, I have now some nice old Pear wood available for sale. A considerable amount of it is already gone, with the obvious bigger sizes (blanks) possible, being the first to go.

The tree was cut 3 weeks ago, therefore the wood is green. I fair number of square blanks including pen blanks in straight and diagonal cut, are already cut and waxed (end grain, only) from off-cuts from some of the larger blanks already processed and sold, and some processed from the logs or slabs showing termite damage.

There are a considerable number of logs that have absolutely no termite damage but all the ones that have, have been the ones that I first processed to eradicate (poison/kill) any termites still alive in the wood/log. About 80% of the logs/slabs with termite damage have already been process, so I'm getting to the "solid" and termite free logs very soon.

Is important to be said that, the presence of the termites within the wood only damage a part of it, therefore after those damaged areas are removed, the rest of the wood has not been affected in any way shape or form. Termites eat the wood and create channels as they go but, all in a concentrated manner, there is, they can eat the center of the log (heartwood/eye) and created a hollow channel, which they will concentrate on, leaving all the surrounding wood intact, not like most of the common "wood borers" that built channels all over the log in all directions and locations, making the wood/log look like a Swiss cheese...!:eek:

This Pear wood will be sold in blank form, with end grain waxed or fully waxed for extra protection and slower drying, at AU$10 p/kilo. I will freight to anywhere in the world, in a box that can not exceed 20kg, via air-freight or sea-freight.

Some blanks will appear on my eBay store very soon but, I'm giving the opportunity to any of the IAP members to order direct, voiding extra charges and before is all gone...!

If you are interested, please "PM" me only, with your inquire...!

Thank you.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC07329.jpg
    PIC07329.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 168
  • PIC07345.jpg
    PIC07345.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 192
  • PIC07589.jpg
    PIC07589.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 181
  • PIC07401.jpg
    PIC07401.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 206
  • PIC07396.jpg
    PIC07396.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 207
  • PIC07408.jpg
    PIC07408.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 187
  • PIC07586.jpg
    PIC07586.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 162
  • PIC07431.jpg
    PIC07431.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

David Keller

Nice looking stuff, George. Pear is a joy to turn and one of my favorites for hollow forms. It also hold detail very well and can be dyed and used as a substitute for ebony.

robutacion

Nice looking stuff, George. Pear is a joy to turn and one of my favorites for hollow forms. It also hold detail very well and can be dyed and used as a substitute for ebony.

Hi David,

Thanks for your words...!

I don't have much experience with pear and other fruit trees, as I never had many to play with, and most certainly nothing of this size and age. I have had some of those buying timber regularly from me, asking me if I could get my hands on some, since I've been keeping my eye open for any of these type trees, including speaking with a few of fruit tree farmers in the local area but, they all have their trees producing and neither very old or big in size as most of these trees are amazingly kept low and relatively small in diameter, canopy and wood...!

Those that have made specific requests about theses old trees pear wood, all agree that the wood has excellent qualities, and claimed to be one of the most stable woods around so, your comment/observation is certainly in line with what I've learn recently about this wood.

I never though that I would have much of a chance to ever see some of this wood actually dry while in my possession but, from the speed the wood is going out of the door, I reckon the only way I'm going to end-up with some for myself is to grab 1 or 2 logs and hide them somewhere, where no one will be able to see them. It is funny to see some (most) of my visitors, look at any log, plank, stick, boxes, shelve, under, above and behind "things", looking for something special, often enough, they come up with a log or a wood piece of some nature, that I totally forgot that I had it...!:eek::biggrin:

Another thing that it doesn't work for me is to keep, visible, there is, stored on my main storage shed (so called the "lolly-shop", reserved or paid blanks normally waiting for enough to fill a 25kg or 35kg box (cheaper rates, nationally mainly). The very first ones people want are always those not available for sale anymore so, and after some interesting offers I was given in regards to those items, I decided to keep them out of site, from the moment they are reserved or paid for, voiding "disappointments...!":wink:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi everyone,

Thank you to those that contacted me in regards to this wood.

It is time for me to close this thread, has been well over a week (normal time I run the adds for...!) since I started it.

Anyone that wants to contact me about this wood, can do so by PM me as normal...!

Thank you.

Cheers
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom