Curly Gum with attitude, blanks SALE...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

robutacion

Hi everyone,

Here they are, they are right to go and at this point, I may be able to get some more of the mixed ones but, the full dry dead wood only, from what I saw from the other chunks I've got, ain't look that is anything there...!

First come, first served, only orders made through this thread will count and orders priority will be based upon the date/time the request/orders are made here...!

Only Paypal is accepted and after you make your order I will PM you with the payment details.

There are 15 lots/packs, the first 7 are 250gr. total weight packs, the other 8 are 500gr. total weight packs. Blanks were sprayed with water for colour enhancement prior to pics were taken.

The prices refer to "total" price shipped to the USA or Canada (same costs), for other locations, please request quote!

*- 250gr. packs from Lot 1 to 7 all inclusive = AU$25.00 each

*- 500gr. packs from Lot 8 to 15 all inclusive = AU$33.70 each

The IAP will receive 10% donation from the sale of blanks, only...!

Here we go...!

This is what will be used for shipping!
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0112.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 1 -- 250gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0108.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 2 -- 250gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0114.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 3 -- 250gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0115.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 4 -- 250gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0116.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 5 -- 250gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0119.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 6 -- 250gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0120.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 7 -- 250gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0121.jpg] [/URL]

Packaging of the 500gr packs
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0113.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 8 -- 500gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0122.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 9 -- 500gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0123.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 10 -- 500gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0125.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 11 -- 500gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0128.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 12 -- 500gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0129.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 13 -- 500gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0130.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 14 -- 500gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0131.jpg] [/URL]

Lot 15 -- 500gr
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jorgesmaximus/IAP%20sales/Curly%20Gum%20with%20attitude%20pen%20blanks/?action=view&current=100_0132.jpg] [/URL]

Well folks, this is it...!:wink::biggrin:

Choose wisely.:)

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

First lot of orders...!

Thanks guys,

Interesting...! most of the comments/interest about these blanks were from the first sample (first 4 pics) on the main thread, which is the "all dry dead wood" part of the first 7 packs (all of the 250gr) ones but, the ones selling first are the ones from the mix dead and solid wood, my second sample type, what do I know...???:eek::wink::biggrin:

I admit, when I selected the 2 blanks to make into samples, I deliberately select one from each extreme, one with all dead wood and the other with most solid wood but, in fact, there are a few in the middle that I though were just phenomenal, obviously some other members here agree with me...!:wink:

The full dead wood ones, as all these blanks have had the square corners cut, this helps with the weight but certainly helps with the process of turning/rounding the blank. The very think that I would suggest to do with them is do what I did, soak it with thin CA, the wood will absorb the CA very fast and through, let it dry for a day or so and then proceed with the normal steps. Some would probably be safe to cut and drill without any CA soaking, and only you will make that decision but, if not sure, play safe, soak with CA...!:wink:

I also need to advise those buying the mixed wood blanks (dead and solid wood) that sharp tools is a must, the difference of density between the dead wood and the solid wood is "extreme" (from very soft to very hard), similar to turning Resifills or any blanks made with soft wood and resin.

So far we have;

*- Brian in Burlinghton -- Lot 8 -- 500gr. pack
*- Hewunch -- Lot 7 -- 250gr. pack
*- Jasontg99 -- Lot 14 -- 500gr. pack
*- Purplehaze -- Lot 9 & 13 -- 2 x 500gr. packs

Payment instructions to follow by PM to everyone, thank you...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi peoples,

The 4 gentlemen with orders have complete their payment, and everyone will be advised when parcels are posted, which will be this Thursday 4/11/10, thank you!

Cheers
George

robutacion

First Lot of parcels shipped...!

Hi everyone,

The 4 parcels in question were dropped at the Post Office this morning so, the travelling has started, week to week and a half is the norm...!:biggrin:

Hope that, they all arrived safe and sound...!:wink:

Thanks again...!

Cheers
George

dtswebb

George -

If lot # 6 is still available, I'll take it.

Please PM me with the necessary information needed to get you the money.

Thank you.

Matthew

robutacion

Got mine today. Thank you!

That's great news and quick shipping service, I get items sent within Australia taken the same time as this one took to get to you in the US...!:eek::)

Matthew, your parcel left today...!

NOTE: I did not put a ending time for this add in the beginning but, I will make that decision right now and have it valid up to the end of this month (November) so, keep that in mind please...!:wink:

Cheers
George

hewunch

I attempted to turn my first piece today. For everyone's edification I am going to keep to the facts.
1. This stuff is DRY
2. This stuff will crumble
3. This stuff drinks CA
4. You need to stablize it with CA or something because it will blow up. I tried to do it and I blew one to pieces.

My plan for #2 is get it down close then do much more sanding than I normally do. I DO however believe it will be ABSOLUTELY worth it. I hope that helps others who purchase these wonderful blanks.

robutacion

I attempted to turn my first piece today. For everyone's edification I am going to keep to the facts.
1. This stuff is DRY
2. This stuff will crumble
3. This stuff drinks CA
4. You need to stablize it with CA or something because it will blow up. I tried to do it and I blew one to pieces.

My plan for #2 is get it down close then do much more sanding than I normally do. I DO however believe it will be ABSOLUTELY worth it. I hope that helps others who purchase these wonderful blanks.

Don't panic, I don't know which of the blanks you did but your lot #7 has 3 solid(ish) blanks (#1,2 &4 slightly lighter colour) the rest are very dry dead wood. Those softer blanks which are easy to identify (weight close to nothing) are very fragile and I've made every attempt to repeat that a few times on my description of the material.

Having the square corner already cut is a little help but, it took many years for the wood to transform itself in this way and as a result the wood structure is there but has no longer anything to connect the fibres together (sap/resins) and keep it flexible, making it brittle.

I have made this recommendation before many times and I once again remind people that, all my samples are done between centres, this mean that the blank has no tubes inside to strength it, nor they have a middle or any other support of any type while turning and I manage to turn them down very successfully.

This done with a normal solid pen blank is no "brainier" an quite simple and easy to achieve but when it comes to the very soft, brittle and fragile blanks, in only one way that I can guarantee you never blow a blank again is that, if you use the 4" grinder and the "Flap" discs grits 40 or 60 to cut and grits 80 or 120 to send. I particularly like the 60 - 120 combination and I have each disc in its designated 4" grinder (one grinder for each grit always ready to go...!) that you can buy in our days for about 20 bucks or so. Disks are available on eBay quite cheaply and keep in mind that red oxide coloured disks are for wood the blue ones are suitable also for metals etc., but last double on the wood than the red ones. I get my blue one eBay in boxes of 10 for about $2.50 each, I've seen some of the blue discs being sold in local hardware stores for up to $15.00 each...!:eek::mad:

Anyway, the "Flap" disk system (sorry Ed, he doesn't like me mentioning this system...!:redface:) will get your blank turned into a pen, every time, you just stop using the disks right to the point of hand sanding as you do with any other blanks...!

NOW...! you still have to stabilize the blank before you start working on it. This can be done by soaking it in THIN CA and let it dry or if you have a pressure pot, make a mix of 70% clear PR and 30% acetone into a 2 litre ice cream container, submerse the blank(s) (better doing a few at the time) and put it in the pot with the highest pressure your pot is capable of (safely...!), and leave it overnight. Remove the blanks from the pot/container and put them somewhere to dry for a couple of days. Is important to put a news paper underneath the blanks to catch any drops of resin that may come out of the blank(s) BUT not not put the blanks in direct contact with the news paper as it will get stuck, get a couple of kebab sticks and put them under and in between blanks if you are stacking them up...!

You have to strengthen the very soft blanks before you start working on them, any of these 2 systems above will get you the results that you can do yourself, and with either these systems you may need to use the CA to touch-up as you get deeper into the blank while turning. Drilling will be a lot easier and safer to do with the blank hardened...!

If you aren't sure where the softest blanks are within the photo/lot selection shown here, all the first 7 lots (250gr) have the softer (all dead wood) blanks, lot #6 and 7 has a few that aren't as soft (lighter colour) but still all dead wood. From lot 8 and forwards the blanks are a combination of the dead wood and not dead wood, this non-dead wood is not as dry as the dead wood obviously and some of the wood density/hardness on those mixed blanks is quite extreme.

I have already also mention this before, the mixed blanks do not need any stabilization or CA soaking before drilling, unless you want to soak the soft bits before drilling just to be sure but, I have found that, when it comes to the turning, the non-dead wood is hard so sharp tools are a must or if you want, the "Flap disk system" with a 40 or 60 grit papers will get that blank right to the hand sanding stage in no time, voiding any catches with the gauge/skew between the soft and the hard areas...!

Some people may not like the "Flap disk" idea and I'm ok with it, the true FACT here is simply, you either use whatever system gets the job done successfully or you risk of losing (blowing) every single one of these soft blanks without getting a single pen made out of them and as far as I see it, the pics of these blanks shown clearly what can be achieve with a little patience, I haven't seen and I doubt that I ever will, see any man made material (pen blank) looking like it...!:wink:

This Curly Gum tree and its 20 cubic meters of it, is giving me lots of wood variations as I get cutting/slicing some of the logs/slabs from various parts of the tree, in fact, I have shown here 2 of the samples/examples of what I'm talking about BUT, I have already made into samples and cut a few of each type, another 6 different blanks that representative as these 2 are of the tree butt and the 6' log half buried, that I slabbed on site. Every "chunk" I get to work on in giving some amazing stuff, maybe not in large quantities some of them but, enough to get me and many others satisfied...!:biggrin:

Now, get back to work and get those pens happening...!:wink::)

PS: If I missed something or you have any specific question about these blanks, you are most welcome to ask...!:wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Some other curly gum samples...!

Hi everyone,

As I mention on my last post, I have being cutting a few different groups of blanks from this Curly Gum butt/root(ish) wood and made a sample of every group of blanks.

Some are not dry yet, some are (closer to the dead wood), so have a look and tell me what you think...!

They all will sell for AU$1.20 to IAP members with the same 10% blanks sales value donated to IAP so, you can let me know what you like and I will workout how many will fit in a small or medium box depending on the number of blanks you show interest to and what type they are, as they all have different weights...!

PS: The last 2 pics are the blanks samples from the 2 first types of blanks cut and those that started this thread, and the dog is not for sale, he just likes to be in pics, thank you...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_0204_(1).jpg
    100_0204_(1).jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_0201_(1).jpg
    100_0201_(1).jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_0202_(1).jpg
    100_0202_(1).jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_0203_(1).jpg
    100_0203_(1).jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_0207_(1).jpg
    100_0207_(1).jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_0229_(1).jpg
    100_0229_(1).jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_0215_(1).jpg
    100_0215_(1).jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_0236_(1).jpg
    100_0236_(1).jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_0233_(1).jpg
    100_0233_(1).jpg
    284 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_0232_(1).jpg
    100_0232_(1).jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_0092_(1).jpg
    100_0092_(1).jpg
    277 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_0093_(1).jpg
    100_0093_(1).jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 145

robutacion

Geezz folks, when am I going to see a pen made out of one of all these blanks I sent already...???:wink::biggrin:

I'm just looking forwards to see them in some style of pen kit, preferably a nice looking kit, they are too many to name...!:biggrin:

Let's get in the shed and make a few, people...!!!:)

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi George .... I would be glad to show you a pen I made .... but I guess my order is still on the Boat LOL .... hopefully I'll recieve them next week.

Take Care

Brian

Sorry mate, that is totally out of my hands and control, sure there are a "few" of you that have received them and some have blanks that are more than ready for business so, lets seen them...!!! or is everyone chicken-out about working with the blanks...???

Oh yeah, that should just be enough to "stir" some souls...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

This thread is "CLOSED"...!

Hi everyone,

That's time to end this thread/add as advised previously.

I thank you to all that ordered some of these blanks and I certainly look forwards to see some transformed into pens in the near future...!

Good luck everyone with them and remember, any questions you may have about the blanks, don't hesitate to contact me...!:wink:

IAP donation from the sales will be calculated soon, and Paypal money transfer will follow...!:biggrin:

THIS THREAD IS OFFICIALLY <<<<< CLOSED>>>>>

Cheers
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom