Burled Majestic Olive wood from Australia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

robutacion

Hi everyone,

I have here 4 square blanks that were cut from an old Olive tree, a year ago (pic on a thumbnail attached).

These wood pieces are from the butt/root joint, where it bulges considerably just at ground level. Wood from this area of the Olive tree is normally yellow and full of curls but this lot, had some crazy colours that are rarely seen/found.

These are all the 4 pieces that I got with 100% of this stuff, they were immediately waxed after cut and have been drying since.

They are not dry yet but, at ideal stage to be cut up into smaller blanks to accelerate the drying process. I was quite surprised that these blocks didn't crack and that the wood hasn't had much movement, something very rare with olive wood...!

Shipping costs to the US and Canada are;
*- AU$18.00 for 500gr
*- AU$24.50 for 750gr and
*- AU$31.50 for 1kg
*- Please note that any parcels over 500gr to the US will attract the new US Customs sub-charge of $9.00

For any other locations, please request quote...!

10% of wood sales will be donated to IAP, as always...!

Please, make your order through this thread, PM orders will not count...!

Ask any questions you may have in here or by PM...!

Payment accepted is Paypal, only.

A1-B-176 AU$29.60

A1-B-177 AU$19.60

A1-B-178 AU$20.80
http://

A1-B-179 AU$31.40

Thank you...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC07039.jpg
    PIC07039.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 259
  • PIC07031.jpg
    PIC07031.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 236
  • PIC07040_(1).jpg
    PIC07040_(1).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Pretty stuff,why do you split it?Just easier to carry?I often mill 3-6 foot logs just because its easier to move those slab around then a 8-10 foot slab(hundreds of pounds).Very cool wood I love seeing people harvest wood I'm just a wood nut,lol.Victor

robutacion

Pretty stuff,why do you split it?Just easier to carry?I often mill 3-6 foot logs just because its easier to move those slab around then a 8-10 foot slab(hundreds of pounds).Very cool wood I love seeing people harvest wood I'm just a wood nut,lol.Victor

Is a lot easier to slab these butts while they are standing up...! I normally slab them at 4" and 6" depending of the log and what I want to do with it, 2" slabs are also common.

I've got from this Olive tree trunk, 2 edges from a couple of inches in some places up to 10" on the bottom and the center was cut in 4 x 4" slabs. It took a good winch and ramps to get them on the trailer as the wife and I, hard could move them around on the ground, green olive wood is extremely heavy and these slabs had some width on then too...!:eek::biggrin:

If you enjoy that much seeing people harvesting wood, you have plenty of pics of us doing just that, through out many threads that I put on IAP...!:wink:

I've truly passed the "wood nut" thing, I've got sawdust running on my veins now...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

patmurris

Thanks robutaction, i do see the picts, but when clicking on them to see the larger version the link fails because there are IMG tags embedded in the link... Sorry for the distraction from the sale. Just curious to see your olive burl up close as i do have a lot of European olive around me and burls do not always come out as one would expect - with tiny 'eye'.

robutacion

No worries Pat,

If you have lots of European Olive trees around you, and if you have managed to access some, you know that what I say about the Olive wood Burl and Burled Olive wood...!:wink:

In fact, I always claimed that Olive trees (the species I know) don't grow burls, indeed 99.9% of the "bulges" and other unusual growth at the tree bark surface, even though can look identical as the burls growth shape in many other trees, removing those and open them, you find a very light yellow on the wood with no signs of heartwood or other colors. The grain in many of these nearly non-existent and certainly no "eyes", unfortunately.

I have found burled wood in areas of the tree that has no significant shape as a normal burl, in fact, very recently I was cutting some of my last pieces of the old Olive root and I found an area with the most unbelievable grain and with eyes. The area was small and I only endup with 2 (two) full pen size blanks and a couple of shorts.

I have kept these and even though with some eyes, the number of them through out the blanks is nothing compared with most other burls. Olive trees are not the only ones to do this, the recently(ish) found Platypus Gum Burl, with all its Majestic size and appearance, doesn't produce eyes in its burls, at least for the 99.5% of it, still is one of the rarest burls to find...!:eek::wink:

I'm expecting some crazy stuff inside these 4 blanks and I can guarantee or not that there isn't some eyes in there, if you are going to find them is in pieces like these...!

Enjoy...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi everyone,

It doesn't seem to be any interest for these Olive wood pieces so, I close the add and move on, as 1 week as my normal advertising time is gone.

As someone once said, "nothing gamed, nothing lost...!"

Sorry, IAP no "donation" this time...!:frown:

Cheers
George

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<CLOSED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom