Australian Western Red Cedar - aged wood!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

robutacion

Australian Cedar - aged wood!

Hi everyone,

This time we have a new species to my list, the very last one indeed ,#34. They are Australian Cedar 10" X 2" boards/planks used in the construction of a local shed, built exactly in the paddock where I now have some of my big timbers stored. I was aware that the paddock had had a large shed built on it, as I get the troubles of hitting the cement footings with the steal rods sticking out of the ground, every time I have to cut the grass.

Anyway, this shed was the original building used by the local Chinese vegetable farm people to live in, and store some of the equipment. The age of the timber is some how difficult to work out, as a neighbor that built his house next door to this paddock, have done so 51 years ago, he remembers that the shed was removed a few years later (maybe 5 or 6) but the shed already looked very well aged then.

These boards, which I believe were part of a frame to support a floor of some kind, are amazingly well preserved, putting to shame most of the hardware stores that sell new timbers. These rough cut boards are perfectly straight at a length of 4 meters, and stored all this time in one of the many large green houses this farm has. The timber was well rapped with plastic and well away from the ground, so well hidden that I didn't know of its existence until a couple of weeks ago when the farm owner asked me if I would do some carpentry work in the shed they are using now.

Discussing the timbers needed for this job, I was told and shown the location where this hight quality Australia Cedar boards were stored. I can say that I nearly screamed of amazement when I remove the plastic cover and got the unmistakable smell of well seasoned Cedar, followed by the surprise of the absolute top condition of this timbers. I estimated the age of these boards at about 70 to 90 years since milled, as at about that time in the 1920's, the Industry of the Australian Cedar was in full swing, with the volume of Cedar production as one of the biggest in Australia.

Today, that industry is non existent, nor the plantations that supported that industry.

I got to keep all the off-cuts from these boards, and I can tell you, I've got a fair bit for pen blanks so, here is the deal...!:rolleyes:

-* Pen blanks size - approx, 21mm square x 130mm long

-* Pen blanks are cut in straight grain and diagonal cut (Z)

-* There are 2 types of grain, tight/fine grain and wider/waved grain.

-* Average blank weights approx. 30gr (very light) about 14 blanks per 0.5kg.

-* The price per each blank is AU$1.00, for any type cut and or grain.

Attached are 2 links to assist you, one is the Australian Post Freight calculator and the other the currency converter site.

http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Please, use this thread to make your orders, I will PM you with the payment and other information.

Thank you!

PS: Any blank shown with a stain finish, was done to exemplify one of the type finishes that brings/contrast the "resin" veins of this wood, any other finish will apply.

Australian Cedar aged wood#34 on the list

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi everyone,

When I was cutting the length on the diagonal pen blanks from the red Cedar, I got dozens of little triangle pieces that I decided to glue together using PVA.
I've glued these little off-cut pieces in 2 different ways but in similar pattern, one style would only give enough finished diameter for a pen but the other style did nearly gave me double the round diameter, which would be suitable for bottle stoppers and other things that use about 1" or so round!

After the glues were dry, I gave them a square shape on my round disc sander, proceeding to turn a few samples round and treat them the same way as I do the other timber samples. They did come up quite OK considering that the off- cuts come out of the bandsaw.

This type blanks can be easily done with all the blanks left overs (small pieces) that most turners get from their pen making. In this case I used only Cedar, but a mix of any wood blanks that were made into pens, would do. Cutting the blanks off-cuts in triangle shape and put them aside as you go, would one day give you enough pieces to play around and put together pen blanks that can quite easily end-up a lot more interesting then you could have anticipated...!:wink: Anyway, its just a thought!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 1145_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1145_(1).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 167
  • timber preparation 1076_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1076_(1).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 145
  • timber preparation 1162_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1162_(1).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 153